Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bytezone

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
I am using the Exploring Iphone SDK by Dave and Jeff.

So far I am able to pick up everythin. But yesturday I came across a chapter which uses delegates like this...

interface Control_FunViewController : UIViewController <UIActionSheetDelegate> {
IBOutlet UITextField *nameField;
IBOutlet UITextField *numberField;
IBOutlet UILabel *sliderLabel;
IBOutlet UISwitch *leftSwitch;
IBOutlet UISwitch *rightSwitch;
IBOutlet UIView *switchView;
IBOutlet UIButton *doSomethingButton;

}

Where can read to know more about why <UIActionSheetDelegate> is used. I mean I want to learn more about delegates in cocoa touch frame work. Any good link for this...??

Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You are confusing two distinct and very different concepts: delegates and protocols. The <UIActionSheetDelegate> says that this class implements the UIActionSheetDelegate protocol.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Delegates and delegations is an important and ubiquitous concept in Cocoa. Look here for some discussion:

Cocoa Fundamentals Guide/Communication With Objects/Delegates and Data Sources.

You should read the whole guide.

I found this as follows: Open the Documentation window in Xcode. Type in 'delegation' to the search bar at the top of the window. Select Apple iPhone OS 2.2 Doc Set. Choose Full-Text search. A lot of choices appear but this is the best one.

BlackWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
You are confusing two distinct and very different concepts: delegates and protocols. The <UIActionSheetDelegate> says that this class implements the UIActionSheetDelegate protocol.

yep, that's something completly different. if you want to know about protocols, that is pretty easy. it's just a way to make sure a class implements some methods. in your example, the protocol does not have any necessary methods, but some optional ones like

actionSheet:clickedButtonAtIndex:

to see everything a protocol defines see the reference for that protocol, like
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/l...ctionSheetDelegate/UIActionSheetDelegate.html

bytezone

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
Sorry for the confusion..it should have been protocols.

I read this
http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENT...#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30001163-CH15-BAJJABHJ

It was very usefull. Thanks everyone for valuable suggestions.

yep, that's something completly different. if you want to know about protocols, that is pretty easy. it's just a way to make sure a class implements some methods. in your example, the protocol does not have any necessary methods, but some optional ones like

actionSheet:clickedButtonAtIndex:

to see everything a protocol defines see the reference for that protocol, like
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/l...ctionSheetDelegate/UIActionSheetDelegate.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.