PDA

View Full Version : Did Apple Accidentally send me a Superdrive?

fussball
Apr 28, 2004, 07:52 AM
I just got a 1.33 ghz 12.1" PB. I was looking in the system profiler and the optical drive is listed as "Mat****a UJ-825" and says CD-RW/DVD-R . I ordered a combo drive, but according to that, it is a dvd-r (super) drive. Does anyone know how I can confirm this? I guess I could buy a dvd-r and try to burn it...

JFreak
Apr 28, 2004, 08:12 AM
might be so, consider yourself lucky :) my friend recently discovered he got a free airport extreme card...

fussball
Apr 28, 2004, 08:14 AM
all the new pb's ship with AE standard. so if he has a new PB, it was intended :-) but you probably know that

JFreak
Apr 28, 2004, 08:15 AM
it was a revA model

baby duck monge
Apr 28, 2004, 09:05 AM
haha, yeah it sure seems like they messed up and you got a little something extra. congrats! :D

Le Big Mac
Apr 28, 2004, 09:08 AM
I just got a 1.33 ghz 12.1" PB. I was looking in the system profiler and the optical drive is listed as "Mat****a UJ-825" and says CD-RW/DVD-R . I ordered a combo drive, but according to that, it is a dvd-r (super) drive. Does anyone know how I can confirm this? I guess I could buy a dvd-r and try to burn it...

Am I misunderstanding something? Doesn't CD-RW mean it can read and write CDs, and DVD-R means it can read (but not write) DVDs?

thecow
Apr 28, 2004, 09:09 AM
If you have toast, it will tell you if you can burn DVDs.

thecow
Apr 28, 2004, 09:10 AM
Am I misunderstanding something? Doesn't CD-RW mean it can read and write CDs, and DVD-R means it can read (but not write) DVDs? No. DVD-R means that it can burn DVD-R discs. DVD-ROM means that it can only read DVDs.

Celeron
Apr 28, 2004, 10:29 AM
Why not throw the model number in Google and see what you come up with? That should tell you definitively.

BrianKonarsMac
Apr 28, 2004, 11:00 AM
here's a hint...do you have iDVD?

also...try burning a DVD, that's a surefire way to find out ;)

fussball
Apr 28, 2004, 12:49 PM
All PB's come with iDVD, I believe. I already did a google search and it shows the UJ-825 as a dvd-r drive (burns dvds) I tried to burn a dvd but no luck, as I have partitioned my HD and my OS partition is too small for me to burn dvds (need at least the size of the disc free) so I am re-partitioning and trying again. .. though the OS seemed to recognize that there was a dvd that wanted to be burned in the drive

Giaguara
Apr 28, 2004, 12:52 PM

Combo drive powerbooks come with iDVD too.

Open the iDVD. Try to burn a DVD. If it burns it, it is a superdrive.

jwn315
Apr 28, 2004, 01:05 PM
I ordered the same config that you did and after it was delivered on Monday, I noticed I also had the superdrive instead of the combo. Maybe this is a larger error that could have effected an entire shipment. Not going to complain though...

BrianKonarsMac
Apr 28, 2004, 02:14 PM
Combo drive powerbooks come with iDVD too. has it always been that way? i could've sworn they used to only ship iDVD with computers that had DVD Burners.

Celeron
Apr 28, 2004, 02:20 PM
I got my 12'' rev.B Powerbook with a Combo drive about a month ago and it came with iDVD installed. Go figure.

DavidLeblond
Apr 28, 2004, 02:22 PM
I think iDVD is on the media but not preinstalled on the computer. Could be wrong, though.

Giaguara
Apr 28, 2004, 02:23 PM
has it always been that way? i could've sworn they used to only ship iDVD with computers that had DVD Burners.

I don't know if it has always been that way, but at least the rev. B PowerBooks come with iDVD, even the combos.

fussball
Apr 28, 2004, 02:30 PM
I ordered the same config that you did and after it was delivered on Monday, I noticed I also had the superdrive instead of the combo. Maybe this is a larger error that could have effected an entire shipment. Not going to complain though...

Sounds like a mistake by apple... though now I don't really want to complain about my 1 dead pixel on the LCD and a slight ghosting on some menus on my external display... I bet if I sent it in they would return me a combo model. hmm...

7on
Apr 28, 2004, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I got shipped an AP card in my Tibook when I didn't have it configured. Wasn't till I was in school and it picked up the wireless network did I realize it.

I did send my tibook in due to an LCD defect and it still had the AP card when I got it back. You should be safe, as long as the side of the box says it's a Superdrive. Otherwise...

gravityplan
Apr 28, 2004, 04:25 PM
My 12" iBook that I just got came with iDVD preinstalled!! When you launch it you just get a warning that you can work on projects but because you have no DVD burner you won't be able to burn a DVD. :cool:

BrianKonarsMac
Apr 28, 2004, 04:38 PM
Sounds like a mistake by apple... though now I don't really want to complain about my 1 dead pixel on the LCD and a slight ghosting on some menus on my external display... I bet if I sent it in they would return me a combo model. hmm...
to be honest, i'd rather have a flawless display, then free super drive. The superdrives in PBooks are only 4x, you could get an external FW at 8x, or wait a month or two for external FW DL DVD burners, so you can be a true pirate! DVD's AHOY MATEY!

My 12" iBook that I just got came with iDVD preinstalled!! Now if that doesn't take the cake, I don't know what does. Sure, you can't use this program, but we felt your hard drive had a spare 2 GB so....why not put it on there for fun? You can always do a fresh install to completely remove it.

Nermal
Apr 28, 2004, 08:24 PM
If your computer can handle a SuperDrive, then it ships with iDVD. But the presence of iDVD does not guarantee a SuperDrive.

Having said that, it sounds like you do have a SuperDrive :)

dswoodley
Apr 28, 2004, 08:49 PM
I don't know if it has always been that way, but at least the rev. B PowerBooks come with iDVD, even the combos.

my rev A 15 in 1.25 pb (with combo drive) came with iDvd too

bennetsaysargh
Apr 28, 2004, 09:00 PM
has it always been that way? i could've sworn they used to only ship iDVD with computers that had DVD Burners.

ever since iLife '04 came about it's been that way.
you're lucky!

RBMaraman
Apr 28, 2004, 09:06 PM

You probably weren't aware of this, but...

When Apple released iLife '04 with iDVD 4 in January, Steve said that many schools had labs with like 25 combo drive eMacs, and 5 superdrive eMacs. He then said that schools requested that iDVD be able to be installed and used on all Macs, then the projects can be tranfered to a superdrive Mac for burning. He then announced that iDVD 4 can be installed on any Mac. That way, if you don't have a superdrive, you can create the project and move it to a superdrive equiped Mac for burning.

Apple then began including it (iDVD 4) with new Macs along with the rest of iLife '04.

dukemeiser
Apr 28, 2004, 10:15 PM
I got really excited too when iDVD came on my family's eMac. I'd thought Apple had screwed up, but alas, it was only a Combo drive.

Koodauw
Apr 28, 2004, 10:48 PM
Man you guys/gals are super lucky to get a SuperDrive unit for the price of a combo one. I am so jealous.

I need to get some luck like that.

Maybe some of your good karma can rub off on the guy who had his dog pee on his iBook. :eek:

fussball
Apr 28, 2004, 11:41 PM
Man you guys/gals are super lucky to get a SuperDrive unit for the price of a combo one. I am so jealous.

I need to get some luck like that.

Maybe some of your good karma can rub off on the guy who had his dog pee on his iBook. :eek:

I've had super good luck with apple, recently. I had my logic board on my iBook/700 fail, and got a new one for free (I know there is the repair ext. program) even though I had painted my iBook blue (ie, voided any warranty) now, I just got a superdrive PB w/ 5400rpm 80 gig HD for 1379 (yeah student developer's discount!)

Abstract
Apr 30, 2004, 12:31 AM
Hehe, the first thing I did after reading this thread was go to my System Profile to check for a superdrive that I didn't know I had. :D

(no mistake on my rev B 12"......no Superdrive) :(

Rod Rod
Apr 30, 2004, 01:42 AM
It looks like I should have ordered online from Apple, instead of having bought my new 1.33GHz 12" PB from the local Apple store.

Anyhow I'm happy. I upgraded from an 867MHz 12" PB, and it only cost me about $250 (as I sold the other one). The only spec in which I downgraded was RAM... the old one had 640, and the new one has 512. The RAM came free. It came from the 1.25GHz 15" PB of a friend. He upgraded to 2x512 modules and gave me his old 2x256 sticks. :)

toughboy
Apr 30, 2004, 03:34 AM
Combo drive powerbooks come with iDVD too.

Open the iDVD. Try to burn a DVD. If it burns it, it is a superdrive.

mine didnt.. (12"PB 867)

bigandy
Apr 30, 2004, 04:49 AM
No. DVD-R means that it can burn DVD-R discs. DVD-ROM means that it can only read DVDs.

and all the superdrives that apple have produced for at least the last 18 months are dvd-rw, apple just say they're dvd-r because they don't officially support the -rw in the OS. programmes like toast can do the rewriting thing...