PDA

View Full Version : Apple Now Offering to Swap Water-Damaged iPhones for $199

MacRumors
May 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/05/05/apple-now-offering-to-swap-water-damaged-iphones-for-199/)

ifoAppleStore reports (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2009/05/04/report-water-damaged-iphones-now-swappable/) that Apple is now offering the opportunity for users with water-damaged iPhones to swap their units for working refurbished units for a fee of $199.The new policy applies to out-of-warranty incidents that would normally require the purchase of a new phone, and also trigger an extention of the owner’s two-year AT&T contract. Under the new policy, the iPhone owner simply pays a one-time $199 price for a refurbished handset, and transfers the SIM card to the new device.The report speculates that the policy change may be a means of allowing Apple to clear stock of refurbished iPhones ahead of a rumored summer launch of a new model, although it may simply be a general easing of Apple's repair policies.

Article Link: Apple Now Offering to Swap Water-Damaged iPhones for $199 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/05/05/apple-now-offering-to-swap-water-damaged-iphones-for-199/)

Sky Blue
May 5, 2009, 11:40 AM
Is it $199 for either model?

gigidey
May 5, 2009, 11:45 AM
This is fantastic news, it eases my iPhone-hydrophobia somewhat.

twoodcc
May 5, 2009, 11:59 AM
is this just for water damage, or for any damage? like the silent switch not working anymore?

Drumjim85
May 5, 2009, 11:59 AM
I expect this to only last until the 3Gs are out of stock... and no to continue on through the life of new models.

jaw04005
May 5, 2009, 12:00 PM
This is fantastic news, it eases my iPhone-hydrophobia somewhat.

Yes, it's so big of Apple to offer replacement phones for $199 when every other phone is covered under AT&T's optional insurance policy. :rolleyes:

Not to mention, the numerous people that have complained about the water-damage stickers being falsely activated.

pmpknetr21
May 5, 2009, 12:05 PM

Nah. That's just for the 8 GB. The 16GB is $299. Also, they're required to give you the like model of what you're giving them.

It's a really good change in policy. It's really great for those who don't want to resign a two year contract or pay the unsubsidized price. (I'm sure this was a hell of a fight for Apple against AT&T.)

Dkota05
May 5, 2009, 12:13 PM
FML....Just paid $399 for a replacement on Friday after a week of dealing with a water damaged 3G.

Airforcekid
May 5, 2009, 12:19 PM
Weird... too much surplus i presume!

Cartoonkid
May 5, 2009, 12:21 PM
Weird... too much surplus i presume!

That and they don't want them sitting around after the new models come out.

pmpknetr21
May 5, 2009, 12:21 PM
FML....Just paid $399 for a replacement on Friday after a week of dealing with a water damaged 3G.

Ouch. This policy started on Sunday, so as of Friday, you would've had to of have purchased a new unit.

Sorry. :(

Cartoonkid
May 5, 2009, 12:22 PM

I'd go back and argue your case. The worst they can say is no, but you might get lucky.

SAMTATSICPRO
May 5, 2009, 12:30 PM
ughhhhh... i wish this happened like 3 weeks ago... had to down grade my 16 gig to an 8 gig for paying full price of 600 dollars... my 16 gig was damaged with water... so now... ill just wait for the new one.

Eclipse10114
May 5, 2009, 12:47 PM
So ok, I have a 2G iPhone that is out of warranty and water damaged. It is not on our Att contract anymore (since upgraded to 3Gs). With this new policy, can I drop $200 to replace the device and take it home to activate it for a different line on our contract (its a family plan and not all of them are iPhones)?

smarch
May 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
I replaced my original water-damaged 8gb for $199 back in January 2008. Did they get rid of this policy and now bring it back or something?

ps. don't throw your phone into a toilet, no matter how interesting a trajectory it may take on the way into the bowl.

Cartoonkid
May 5, 2009, 12:52 PM
So ok, I have a 2G iPhone that is out of warranty and water damaged. It is not on our Att contract anymore (since upgraded to 3Gs). With this new policy, can I drop $200 to replace the device and take it home to activate it for a different line on our contract (its a family plan and not all of them are iPhones)?

Wishful thinking, my friend.

aandf1978
May 5, 2009, 12:55 PM
screw that!!! Sell you water damaged iphone on eBay!! I just washed mine last week, I let it dry out and made sure it still worked except for the screen being messed up, and sold it in the box with no other accesories for $306. The sad thing is I tried to open it up at the bottom and kinda marked it up, nothing terrible, and that it why it sold so cheap. Usually the water damaged white 16GB iphone 3g goes for close or over $350 new. Anyways after I got the money just went to AT&T and extended my contract and got a new phone. Thought about waiting for the new one but needed a phone and could not wait 2-3 months.

Hing
May 5, 2009, 01:08 PM
I have a iphone 2g water damage, so do they give me a 3g iphone or 2g iphone under the policy.

tollie
May 5, 2009, 01:25 PM
I've yet to see this reported anywhere else, and it's not confirmed by any press releases on the Apple website. I wish I knew the source.

FWIW- I lost my first iPhone 3G to the rain, even while my phone was in my pocket. I tried turning it off, but it kept turning itself back on because the water had gotten into the unprotected dock connector. Yanking the battery would have probably prevented permanent damage, but yeah... battery is buried inside, and merely trying to access it voids the warranty.

To note: I got quoted all sorts of different prices from ATT / Apple for a replacement 16GB phone: from $500 to $700. I eventually just upgraded another line that was eligible.

My question: I wonder what this policy will look like after next iPhone? I've seen the rumors of ATT working on a "phone trade in" program... is this it? Or will there be an upgrade / trade-in path for iPhone 3G to iPhone 3rdgen?

Assuming this story is valid, I wonder if it would be better to water damage swap, and hope to be qualified for upgrade pricing to iPhone 3rdgen, or would it be better just wait and see.

- tollie

jtgotsjets
May 5, 2009, 01:49 PM
Anyone else worried about this? I feel like TONS of people come here and complain that Apple rejected their in-warranty repair because of bogus "water-damage." Now instead of being to argue their case with a manager or something, official policy dictates that they need to pay $200 even though they're in-warranty?

Eclipse10114
May 5, 2009, 02:26 PM
Wishful thinking, my friend.

They probably think I would want to unlock it and sell it or something, damn. So what are the requirements to qualify for this $200 exchange then, do they really look up your Att account before doing the exchange because I have never seen them do that at the Genius Bar. I thought they only diagnose the device.

adomanico18
May 5, 2009, 02:30 PM
if anyone here is dumb enough to pay to get a new iphone when clearly a new one is coming out in a month then thats your fault. patience is a virtue people.

akacaj
May 5, 2009, 03:03 PM
is this just for water damage, or for any damage? like the silent switch not working anymore?

It is for everything because all you would have to do is take a shower with your iPhone!

akacaj
May 5, 2009, 03:04 PM
if anyone here is dumb enough to pay to get a new iphone when clearly a new one is coming out in a month then thats your fault. patience is a virtue people.

Pay $199 to get a brand new looking iPhone and sell it on ebay. Then use that money to buy the latest model. Besides if you phone is damaged you would need a new one anyway.

DipDog3
May 5, 2009, 03:11 PM
Pay $199 to get a brand new looking iPhone and sell it on ebay. Then use that money to buy the latest model. Besides if you phone is damaged you would need a new one anyway.

Or take your perfectly good working iPhone and sell it on ebay and use that money to buy the new iPhone.

Adisah
May 5, 2009, 03:12 PM
Can anyone confirm this? I need this confirmed because I need my brother to take his phone back so he can get my 2 yr contract freed up so I can get the new iPhone that is upcoming.

He dropped his phone in a bucket of water. It died. He used my open contract to buy a new phone. :(

Cara1001
May 5, 2009, 04:06 PM
This sucks - Apple are picking and choosing what 'damage' they will replace and what they won't entirely arbitrarily.

I cracked my screen and am willing to pay apply either to fix it - OR - a fair price for an exchange, bearing in mind they will take my old phone, fix it, and then sell it on no doubt at a profit anyway...

A screen costs like $5 - and they aren't too hard to replace - yet apple told me I would have to pay for an entirely new phone AND hand in my old one.

And of course if I decide to fix the thing myself, it voids the damn warranty (which doesn't cover screens in he first place (WTF?)...

Apparantly I was told by Apple they can't touch the screens as doing a screen replacement isn't in line with their Green Policy... WOW - get a grip. I don't care about green - the majority of Apple customers don't give a damn about green.

Since when did we all decide we were willing to pay a premium and get ram raided for cash on repairs etc for 'green'...

I'm really losing patience with Apple. If they don't change policies, and get their act together with other things (FW with Macbooks, over-pricing, seeming lack of quality control on products that leave the factory (I went through 4 macbooks before I got one that was perfect - i.e. what I paid for)) - if they don't sort out their shop I'll be buying a Dell and Blackberry - and I won't look back with any anxiety that I made a bad choice.

chris975d
May 5, 2009, 04:34 PM
I replaced my original water-damaged 8gb for $199 back in January 2008. Did they get rid of this policy and now bring it back or something?

ps. don't throw your phone into a toilet, no matter how interesting a trajectory it may take on the way into the bowl.

I'm wondering the same thing...I replaced my original 8Gb 1st gen iPhone last year for $175 after it was left on top of a car, and was completely destroyed after being ran over after the car was moved. This year my 1st 8Gb iPhone 3G was replaced for $199 after being soaked in a rainstorm. All I had to do was give up the old phones, and pay the replacement costs listed above. And the 1st gen iPhone that was replaced was seriously destroyed..pretty much the only thing even recognizable was the aluminum back. Glass was completely destroyed and most was missing. Both these replacements were done at the same Apple retail store and was no hassle at all, it was even stated that it was policy do to so (had prices officially listed in their Genius Bar computers and all). Didn't restart or renew my contract at all, and the warranty on the devices restarted on the day the replacements were made. Did they get rid of this policy for a short time, then bring it back again? Because my 2nd swap listed above was done in January of this year.

jbrenn
May 5, 2009, 04:50 PM
until i hear this from apple i will not believe it. I was at an apple store a few weeks ago and someone brought in a water damaged iphone apple said they would not offer any discount. If you want a discount go talk to at&t.

Kwill
May 5, 2009, 05:10 PM

Switch not working? Take a wiz on it before running in for refurb! :D

anubis
May 5, 2009, 05:33 PM
Wow Apple is getting desperate to unload its undoubtedly huge stockpile of current 3G iPhones! Just the latest in a long string of promotions designed to bottom out the price of iPhones to clear out stock. They must have over-estimated late-cycle demand. Anyone who wants a shiny new iPhone just has to drop theirs in a pool and ask for a new one, and Apple is willing to oblige by offering a new phone at cost with no other obligation. Looks like they'd rather sell them at cost than carry millions of unused iPhones into the next product cycle

anubis
May 5, 2009, 05:35 PM
I'm wondering the same thing...I replaced my original 8Gb 1st gen iPhone last year for $175 after it was left on top of a car, and was completely destroyed after being ran over after the car was moved. This year my 1st 8Gb iPhone 3G was replaced for $199 after being soaked in a rainstorm. All I had to do was give up the old phones, and pay the replacement costs listed above. And the 1st gen iPhone that was replaced was seriously destroyed..pretty much the only thing even recognizable was the aluminum back. Glass was completely destroyed and most was missing. Both these replacements were done at the same Apple retail store and was no hassle at all, it was even stated that it was policy do to so (had prices officially listed in their Genius Bar computers and all). Didn't restart or renew my contract at all, and the warranty on the devices restarted on the day the replacements were made. Did they get rid of this policy for a short time, then bring it back again? Because my 2nd swap listed above was done in January of this year.

Sounds like you just got REALLY lucky, TWICE, and just so happened to talk to someone who was in a very gracious mood and allowed you to access replacement phones without extending your contract... definitely not an industry-wide policy... we should all be as lucky as you

John-S
May 5, 2009, 06:33 PM
I also only paid $199 last year.

I dropped my phone in the tub and apple had me send it in for water damage repair for the flat rate of $199. They don't begin to try and repair them... they just sent me a brand new iphone that came in a smaller box that doesn't contain the ear phones etc.

I called apple and asked if it was a refurb and they stated "No, its a brand new phone"!

Not sure why this is news???

iMacmatician
May 5, 2009, 06:41 PM
Switch not working? Take a wiz on it before running in for refurb! :DExactly what I was thinking. :D

Jozone
May 5, 2009, 06:54 PM
If I manage to get my grubby little hands on a family members water-damaged iphone will I be able to pay for this exchange or do you need to provide proof of being on the account? Would love to upgrade from a 2g to 3g without re-upping the contract

appleguy123
May 5, 2009, 06:58 PM

Nah. That's just for the 8 GB. The 16GB is $299. Also, they're required to give you the like model of what you're giving them.

It's a really good change in policy. It's really great for those who don't want to resign a two year contract or pay the unsubsidized price. (I'm sure this was a hell of a fight for Apple against AT&T.)

it is actually 199$ for either model

bigchief
May 5, 2009, 08:01 PM
They probably think I would want to unlock it and sell it or something, damn. So what are the requirements to qualify for this $200 exchange then, do they really look up your Att account before doing the exchange because I have never seen them do that at the Genius Bar. I thought they only diagnose the device.

It would be worth a try. I mean the worst they could do is say no.

AtomicSquirrel
May 5, 2009, 08:12 PM
This would be awesome, if it were true!

Not that Ive ever spilt on my iPhone or anything, but I have done something similar to an older phone. $199 would be a fair price to pay, even if its just to help them clear out a warehouse... It also would build customer confidence for future phone models. :)

sux2beyou
May 5, 2009, 10:26 PM
the new policy is $199 replacement for any out of warranty repair, as long as the phone is still in one piece.

see http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

Out-of-Warranty Service
If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will replace your iPhone with a new or refurbished iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

iPhone 3G Out-of-Warranty Service
8GB & 16GB $199
Original iPhone Out-of-Warranty Service
4GB, 8GB & 16GB $199
*All fees are in US dollars and exclude applicable taxes

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

sux2beyou
May 5, 2009, 10:30 PM
I have a iphone 2g water damage, so do they give me a 3g iphone or 2g iphone under the policy.

They will give you a 2g phone.

jamesschmidtke
May 5, 2009, 11:40 PM
I'm really fn confused, i thought 3giphone is $199 brand new, why would you want a refurb for the same price as a brand spankin new one?

zhell
May 6, 2009, 02:01 AM
I'm really fn confused, i thought 3giphone is $199 brand new, why would you want a refurb for the same price as a brand spankin new one?

Simply because you only get the $199 price tag if you subscribe to a 2-year contract with AT&T. Since warranty lasts only during the first half of that contract, you are left with one year without warranty. And according to this policy, during this second year, you can get a repair for $199.

celtikmind
May 6, 2009, 05:10 AM
I'm really losing patience with Apple. If they don't change policies, and get their act together with other things (FW with Macbooks, over-pricing, seeming lack of quality control on products that leave the factory (I went through 4 macbooks before I got one that was perfect - i.e. what I paid for)) - if they don't sort out their shop I'll be buying a Dell and Blackberry - and I won't look back with any anxiety that I made a bad choice.

Wow, in rather hopeful way I thought I might be alone in going through four MacBook (Pro in my case) before getting one that was 100% according to spec. I've had friends that had to go through one, and even two before but this have been a rather bad experience...

Yes, when both my iPhone and uMBP works they're great, but as someone else on this board put it, it's "perform, or perish" for me as well.

So, Apple, I like you but get your s****y QA act together. Innovation is rather bland if there isn't quality to back it up. :p

ad551
May 6, 2009, 07:59 AM
I can confirm this is happening in the UK. Person next to me at the Genius bar yesterday was offered a replacement iPhone for his water damaged one for £139 (think it was this, may have been £149). Genius said Apple had just changed their policy.

happydude
May 6, 2009, 08:01 AM

if the silent switch isn't working, you should be able to bring it in to an apple store for repair/replacement since it is still under the 1 year warranty (assuming you have a 3G iphone, which could only be around 11 months old at the latest since it came out last june).

GRuizMD
May 6, 2009, 10:15 AM
So My phone (16Gb white) got damaged nearly 4months ago. and after going to the apple store and being denied repair, or discounted price on new one, I eded up paying full price (600 US$) for a new one.... I still keep my old white (1month used) water damaged phone in its original case in, otherwise new condition....

Advice guys... I already have a replacement... What to do?

Furrybeagle
May 6, 2009, 10:48 AM

You think Apple is the only company that has quality control issues? Ahahahahaha!!! Don't even get me started with Dell. I've had three Dell batteries outright FAIL (no, I don't mean they had a low capacity, I mean they outright *did not work*). Then there was the time they were supposed to replace the motherboard... and after waiting a week all they did was flash the BIOS. And then the screens that started getting yellow tinting... went through two of those. And a damaged hinge. And two failed graphics cards. And then another dead motherboard. And failed thermal control. And a dead DVD drive. Thank god I upgraded to at-home-repair after a year. :rolleyes:

instaxgirl
May 6, 2009, 11:33 AM

I was about to say cue an influx of threads along the lines of "Dropped phone in toilet, replace for $199 or wait for new phone?! WHEN IS NEW PHONE COMING?!"

macberry
May 6, 2009, 12:55 PM
the new policy is $199 replacement for any out of warranty repair, as long as the phone is still in one piece.

see http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

Does "out of warranty" include phones that are past it's one year applecare warranty?

macnerd77
May 6, 2009, 05:20 PM
Can anyone confirm this? I need this confirmed because I need my brother to take his phone back so he can get my 2 yr contract freed up so I can get the new iPhone that is upcoming.

He dropped his phone in a bucket of water. It died. He used my open contract to buy a new phone. :(

YES this does work. last week i jumped into the hot tub with my iphone in my pocket :-( I went to apple store and they said there was nothing they could do. Went back to the apple store yesterday and for $216.32 with tax they replaced my white 16gb 3g with a white 16gb 3g in perfect working condition. I was about to pay $499 for a new one. i am very happy with the new policy.:D

markredf150
May 6, 2009, 07:10 PM
and what if your sim card is damaged as well?

sux2beyou
May 6, 2009, 07:58 PM

Apple does not offer service for Sim cards, you will have to call AT&T.

ZDDP1273
May 7, 2009, 12:57 AM
I'm glad to see this. I might have water damage to my iPhone but never wanted to take it in to get it checked out. I might do so now.

dnice8
May 7, 2009, 11:14 PM
I dropped my iPhone 16GB 3G in water a few months ago, and thought I was going to get away with it at the Apple store...

"We're sorry you're having problems with this, but since it's still under warranty, we'll get you set up with a new one...."

then, almost as an afterthought, she grabs a tool that looks like what doctors examine your ears with, peers into the hole in the phone, frowns, then says,

"ooops. I have really bad news. Your water sensor's been triggered. Your warranty is void and you'd have to pay full price for a new phone."

Dammit.

I've heard there's been a new model coming out, so I've been putting up with spotty performance (drops calls, sometimes doesn't get reception, etc.) for a while, just biding my time.

I'm pretty irritated, though. I probably would've paid $199 just to have had it for a few months. But at this point, I should probably just keep waiting...

equalsabracket
May 8, 2009, 05:49 AM
Oh please tell me fanboys aren't sucked into their stupid PR things like this so easily. It's exactly the same as buying a new one, which is something you've always been able to do, except you give them your old broken one in return. If microsoft did this i'm sure there'd be pages of posts about people laughing at them because of this point, but fanboys just go '<3 apple' and think it's great, not even questioning the logic of it. In fact, you can do this with any product, go and get a new one for the buying price. Seriously.

joeconvert
May 8, 2009, 02:07 PM
This sucks - Apple are picking and choosing what 'damage' they will replace and what they won't entirely arbitrarily.

I cracked my screen and am willing to pay apply either to fix it - OR - a fair price for an exchange, bearing in mind they will take my old phone, fix it, and then sell it on no doubt at a profit anyway...

A screen costs like $5 - and they aren't too hard to replace - yet apple told me I would have to pay for an entirely new phone AND hand in my old one.

And of course if I decide to fix the thing myself, it voids the damn warranty (which doesn't cover screens in he first place (WTF?)...

Apparantly I was told by Apple they can't touch the screens as doing a screen replacement isn't in line with their Green Policy... WOW - get a grip. I don't care about green - the majority of Apple customers don't give a damn about green.

Since when did we all decide we were willing to pay a premium and get ram raided for cash on repairs etc for 'green'...

My wife cracked her screen this morning. Had a genius bar appt at 12:30 and they replaced the screen on the spot for $199. While $199 is insane for a screen replacement, they are replacing them, not handing out refurb phones. I thought this very odd, but that's what they're doing.

armoguy94
May 8, 2009, 02:11 PM
If you're irresponsible enough with your $500 toy to give it water damage then you shouldn't deserve to get another one when it breaks. $199 isn't cheap anyways, this isn't anything to be excited over. Just get a cheaper, more appropriate phone, if you can't handle expensive items.

joeconvert
May 8, 2009, 02:21 PM
Oh please tell me fanboys aren't sucked into their stupid PR things like this so easily. It's exactly the same as buying a new one, which is something you've always been able to do, except you give them your old broken one in return. If microsoft did this i'm sure there'd be pages of posts about people laughing at them because of this point, but fanboys just go '<3 apple' and think it's great, not even questioning the logic of it. In fact, you can do this with any product, go and get a new one for the buying price. Seriously.

How is $199 exactly like buying a new one again?

I believe you spend 500 and 600 to replace before this....

armoguy94
May 8, 2009, 02:28 PM

Ya, but what I'm saying is you guys are still acting like $199 is still cheap and something to be excited about when it's exactly still the opposite - anyone who gets water damage on their phone is just plain irresponsible, and they shouldn't deserve to be spending big money on things like cellular devices when they are going to be careless about it and break it in the end. $200 is still a great amount of money, and money doesn't grow off trees. If you break your $500+ phone, you don't spend $200 to replace it - you go on eBay and buy a cheap $20 phone to use. That's how I was raised at least. How could people spend their money on such unimportant things like that?

Bare
May 11, 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm on the "why is this news?" bandwagon. It must just be a new policy specifically for water-damaged phones, rather than other kinds of damage.

I cracked my iPhone a few months ago. At the time, I scoured the internet for hours upon hours looking for advice. What I learned is that not only did Apple offer replacement phones for either $199 (8GB) or $299 (16GB) with absolutely no mention of renewing your contract, but that some people were even able to get a replacement for free if they found the right Genius who was in a good mood.

I just haven't bothered with going to the Genius bar and have been dealing with looking through this severely damaged screen. Maybe if it really is only $199 for a replacement 16GB, I might go try my luck. I'll probably wait for the new one, though.

UnclePaulie
May 11, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'm so lucky I read this thread. I had ruined my iPhone 3G by dropping it accidentally in the toilet and assumed that it would cost me $599 to get a new one. So I've been using an unlocked Nokia E71 and was going into iPhone withdrawal. Just took the broken phone into the store today, and they acknowledged it was water damaged but replaced it for $199 anyway. :D

digitalrampage
May 13, 2009, 06:20 PM
Ya, but what I'm saying is you guys are still acting like $199 is still cheap and something to be excited about when it's exactly still the opposite - anyone who gets water damage on their phone is just plain irresponsible...
:mad:

Um, $199 is cheap considering they are giving you a fully functional iphone and for all intents and purposes a new phone. $199 seems to just cover the cost of the unit to ensure someone thats had an accident is not burdened with $600 charges for a new one and contractual issues. And irresponsible.. your an idiot. Maybe someone should push you in a pool and then we'll see who was irresponsible for standing so close with a iPhone in there pocket...

AND

FYI - Apple's been covering water damage in its iPod line for over a year now the same as other user damage pricing (smashed screen dead hd etc), and to what I knew the iPhone was covered under the same policy, So I dont think this is really news, and Its certainly not to clear out old stock. Apple keeps stock of all parts for at least 5 years, 7 in california. Saying they are clearing out stocks for a new iPhone is just wishful thinking. There not going to give old iPhone users a new iPhone when they break em for $199 eventually otherwise there be a lot of wet iPhones out there wont there!
:cool:

SpitzerCR
May 14, 2009, 12:06 AM
clearing out the inventory...;)

stephenspicer
May 14, 2009, 03:58 PM

Apple just replaced my 3G 9 month old phone with a free new one under warranty; the silent switch had snapped off and I was told by Apple UK this is definately a warranty issue. They also replaced my headphones which had lost the usuability of the microphone for free even through I told them it could be one of the kids pulling on the cable.

So I'm really pleased!

NATO
May 14, 2009, 04:49 PM
Ya, but what I'm saying is you guys are still acting like $199 is still cheap and something to be excited about when it's exactly still the opposite - anyone who gets water damage on their phone is just plain irresponsible, and they shouldn't deserve to be spending big money on things like cellular devices when they are going to be careless about it and break it in the end.

Jeeeeeeez, accidents happen!

I think people are happy because should something unfortunate happen to their iPhone, Apple have a scheme in place to replace it for a reasonable sum.

equalsabracket
May 18, 2009, 10:09 AM

Haha, wait a minute. So you would pay apple $500 or $600 to replace your phone after it had been water damaged? When you could just not tell them you water damaged your previous one, or even had a previous one, and buy a brand new one for $200 - the same price as getting it replaced. Sometimes you people are unbelievable in the way you manage to see these things.

SFStateStudent
May 18, 2009, 11:39 AM

Last I heard a SIM card will run you about $25 or thereabouts....

yourstation
May 18, 2009, 01:34 PM
Apple say that they have no plans to offer any similar service in the UK and have told me to buy a new one at full price to replace my un-insured water damaged one. Obviously not going to do that as I will wait for the new iPhone but still... :-(

yourstation
May 19, 2009, 04:37 AM

If your sim card is damaged on an iphone contract in the UK 02 will replace it for free.

maz94protege
May 30, 2009, 05:26 PM

I broke my silent key also, apple replaced it for free. But you have to goto the apple store the AT&T store won't swap the device.

maz94protege
May 30, 2009, 05:29 PM
If your sim card is damaged on an iphone contract in the UK 02 will replace it for free.

Sim cards are usually replaced for free if you swap you old with a new. But you can always find one on eBay for $3-$5 shipped.

But if your getting a new phone cause the old was damaged, they should just give you a new sim too...if needed.

Wicked1
Jun 2, 2009, 08:56 PM
Can anyone say Ker Plunkt or Splash :D

Somewhere in the NJ Shoreline is a Fish using my old Moto Q, if fell off my hip, hit the side of my boat and Ker Plunkt Splash into the Atlantic Ocean, good thing for insurance, $50.00 later I had a newly refurbished phone:D

pyth
Jun 5, 2009, 12:45 AM
I've yet to see this reported anywhere else, and it's not confirmed by any press releases on the Apple website. I wish I knew the source.

FWIW- I lost my first iPhone 3G to the rain, even while my phone was in my pocket. I tried turning it off, but it kept turning itself back on because the water had gotten into the unprotected dock connector. Yanking the battery would have probably prevented permanent damage, but yeah... battery is buried inside, and merely trying to access it voids the warranty.

To note: I got quoted all sorts of different prices from ATT / Apple for a replacement 16GB phone: from $500 to $700. I eventually just upgraded another line that was eligible.

My question: I wonder what this policy will look like after next iPhone? I've seen the rumors of ATT working on a "phone trade in" program... is this it? Or will there be an upgrade / trade-in path for iPhone 3G to iPhone 3rdgen?

Assuming this story is valid, I wonder if it would be better to water damage swap, and hope to be qualified for upgrade pricing to iPhone 3rdgen, or would it be better just wait and see.

- tollie

I was totally unaware of this policy when my roommate accidentally washed my phone on Tuesday. Then I went into the Apple Store and they said that I could switch it out for $199.

Consider it confirmed.

ashley1496
Jun 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
I have NEVER dropped my phone in water or liquid of any sort and my water sensor on the dock connector on my phone is slightly pink. I treat my phone like gold, but somehow I'm automatically "irresponsible" and shouldn't be an iphone buyer? I'm offended by your blanket statements.
I totally believe in karma, and yours is coming to you! Eat your words!
It's become common knowledge how sensitive those water censors are.

OZMP
Jun 8, 2009, 05:08 AM
My best mate paid $AUD250 for a new 16gb white iPhone he dropped in a bucket of water. His lasted a month. Yet mine has lasted a year without incident lol.

mk321024
Jun 8, 2009, 11:09 AM
people shouldn't be drunk dialing while holding there iPhone over the toilet :D:p hahahahahahahaha:apple::apple:

njpodder
Jun 8, 2009, 02:26 PM
This makes me really upset, but I am glad they are doing it. It makes me upset out of jelousy, though. In March, I jumped in a pool forgetting my phone was in my swimsuit pocket (Paying more attention to the kids I was taking care of instead of my own gadget) and it bricked my iPhone. I was so hoping to hold onto that phone until this summer when the new model would undoubtebly be announced. Since that was before this announcement, I had no choice but to buy a new phone for $299 plus re-enter a 2 year contract, meaning the only way for me to get the new phone announced today (As I knew would happen) is to wait two more years for the next version or pay the likely $500 or $600 for an early upgrade price. I guess my situation could not have happened at a more innoportune time, but I am very happy that Apple is doing something about this now for people who have had much better timing than myself for their iTragedies.

ashley1496
Jun 8, 2009, 05:38 PM
So now that I'm firm on NOT upgrading to a 3Gs...I'm thinking of taking it my water damaged phone to swap. The question is: are they still offering the swap for 16G refurbished 3G?

Guess I'll find out--I'm taking it in today at 6pm.

caonimadebi
Jun 13, 2009, 06:19 PM
can anyone confirm that Apple will not look up your account information when you bring in the water damaged phone? I left my 2G iphone in my pants and it was put in the washer. Now it will not turn on. This phone is no longer on contract with AT&T and has been unlocked to work with other carriers.

PhixionFilms
Jun 14, 2009, 12:10 AM
I can see it now. Im going to be saving alot of money this next snowboarding season.

doctortea
Jun 18, 2009, 08:01 PM
About a month ago my buddy gave me his iphone 2g, today it fell out of my pocket and cracked the screen. I have AT&T with a data package but I wasn't the original owner. Dose any one think that the Genius Bar would give me a refurbished 3g units for a fee of $199. Where I live the Apple store is kind of out of the way.

Willm
Jun 19, 2009, 11:12 AM
If you're irresponsible enough with your $500 toy to give it water damage then you shouldn't deserve to get another one when it breaks. $199 isn't cheap anyways, this isn't anything to be excited over. Just get a cheaper, more appropriate phone, if you can't handle expensive items.

- anyone who gets water damage on their phone is just plain irresponsible, and they shouldn't deserve to be spending big money on things like cellular devices when they are going to be careless about it and break it in the end.

armoguy94,

Do you really believe that? Have you ever heard of an accident or mistake? Most of us are prone to them in all aspects of life every now and again. Have you ever made a mistake or had something happen by accident? Maybe you have but only on things of small financial or other significance.

How do you feel about car accidents? Cars are really expensive! How about divorce? They can be a fortune! Do you make the same judgment for these and the thousands of others things that happen even to really responsible people?

arogge
Jun 19, 2009, 12:29 PM
Apple should consider fixing the problem of water damage, which is to make these devices water-resistant. I don't understand why Apple would make a fragile device that is expected to be exposed to moisture during normal use, but neglect to protect it from moisture. Maybe you are never supposed to sweat or take it outdoors without a waterproof case.

These iPhones should also be impact-resistant and scratch-resistant. People drop them, and put them in pockets with metal keys. The iPhone users shouldn't need to pamper the phone.

arogge
Jun 19, 2009, 12:32 PM
I had ruined my iPhone 3G by dropping it accidentally in the toilet and assumed that it would cost me $599 to get a new one.

That sounds like a story from Dilbert! I probably wouldn't want to use the phone anymore if I had to retrieve it from a dirty toilet.

zahidraf
Jul 17, 2009, 02:08 AM
great news that apple is offering water damaged iphone.