Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert Grant

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2005
North Wales
Hi guys I'm looking for some advice.

Basically I'm making a research poster with my group. I've taken a picture of one of the group members to use as the background but I want to fade out the edges of the picture so I have space to put text and images. I have no idea how to do this though. Any ideas?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
First, some comments on the image. The flash reflection in the background from what looks like a whiteboard is distracting and the shadows look harsh. If you can shoot it again, try it without a flash or put something like a tissue over the flash to diffuse it a bit.

If you want to fade the image and add text to the edges, you need to move the text and that element in the top left corner into the image more. They would be faded along with the photo.

If this is about what you want, this is how I did it in PhotoShop.

Increase the canvas size (image/canvas size). I added 2 US inches to each dimension. Make a new layer and put it under the image. It can be a color if you want. Use the Marquee Tool with a feather setting over 50 to select the picture and inverse the selection (Selection/Inverse). Hit the delete key and the edge will fade out.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    875.9 KB · Views: 71
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.