PDA

View Full Version : My Switch Story

18thTomorrow
Apr 28, 2004, 10:25 AM
Ever since I was 7 years old, my family had PC's, so that's what I grew up with. (I know, it's so sad...) Then, about two years ago I was looking to buy a computer of my own, to use for school projects and stuff. A friend of our family who works in the IT dept of one of the colleges in our town volunteered to keep his eyes open for a good used computer--the college often sells its old machines. One night he called me up and asked, "How would you feel about getting a Mac instead of a pc?" He went on to tell me all about this amazing deal he had found on a 300 MHZ B&W G3 that the art department was selling. I was skeptical, but he assured me that it would do everything I needed--write papers, run photoshop E & Dreamweaver, e-mail, etc. After I got off the phone, I went to a couple of switch websites and read up on Macs. The next morning I called him up and said, "It's a deal!"
That afternoon he delivered my new machine to my doorstep. It came with the original keyboard and hockey-puck mouse, 17" monitor, and OS 9.2 and all of this for a mere $150. I've been in love ever since. ;) My dad is still a staunch PC advocate and we have a continual family dispute. Last fall when our Pentium II bit the dust I tried so hard to convince him to get a G4, but he wouldn't hear of it...bought a dell instead...
Anyhoo, I'm hooked and hopefully I'll NEVER own a PC again. I'm buying an iBook next month. When I'm forced to use Windows and program in VB at school, I practically go insane...
Macs rule!
Britt

BakedBeans
Aug 13, 2004, 02:07 PM
why has nobody ever replied to this???

emw
Aug 13, 2004, 02:12 PM

Unfortunately, on busy days sometimes posts get lost, like this one probably did.

However - congratulations to 18thTomorrow on one of the lowest cost switching stories I've heard. A G3 with monitor for $150? Sweet.

BakedBeans
Aug 14, 2004, 09:48 AM
its been stuck down here for months lol

Pixeled_Apple
Nov 11, 2004, 04:22 AM
My dad is still a staunch PC advocate and we have a continual family dispute.

SAME!!! Its sooo anoying... i want 2 switch 2 a mac ; but he won't let me... so I posted a thread.. and finnally convinced him... I hope he doesn't turn 2 the evvvil side again :P ...

" Windows is dirt to Macintosh "

" Spell reliabilty : A p p l e ; Apple " (Sorry I had to let it out! :P)

AmigoMac
Nov 11, 2004, 05:47 AM

I almost remember reading this before but that day I was preparing a birthday party for my son... anyway, welcome to the mac jungle 18th.

AmigoMac
Nov 11, 2004, 05:52 AM

:eek:

You should have asked why nobody replied to this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=15)

:p

-oldest post without a reply- :rolleyes: ;)

russed
Nov 11, 2004, 10:35 AM
thats a good story. i wish i could pick up a mac for that cheap.

HINT HINT ANYONE!

my parents would use a mac at home but i just need to get one and my budget is pretty non-exisitent (well nearly non existent)

BakedBeans
Nov 16, 2004, 11:54 AM
love it

joey4127
Apr 15, 2005, 12:24 PM
I'v been using Windows since my whole life untill 2003 when I switched to Linux. Then used linux for 2 years and when It was time for a new computer I was gonna order a dell laptop. So I found the one I like and ordered it, but the next day I got a e-mail saying that my credit card was rejected...So I went to school and my friend told me about the Mac Mini and I needed a new computer for Video Editin mostly. SO decided to order that with a sexy 17' Samsun LCD. I will Never use windows, but I will have Linux as my second computer, but Mac as the primary one :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/joey4127/DSC02535.jpg

plinden
Apr 15, 2005, 12:49 PM
Edit: Oops - don't know how I replied to the wrong thread - deleting.