Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otter-boy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
It does seem like a very awkward time. If they release a product, it needs to be the 3 GHz. Otherwise, a lower clocked model would seem to indicate no 3+ GHz models until after the summer--many people would be quite unhappy with that.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
otter-boy said:
It does seem like a very awkward time. If they release a product, it needs to be the 3 GHz. Otherwise, a lower clocked model would seem to indicate no 3+ GHz models until after the summer--many people would be quite unhappy with that.
Maybe we'll just have to realise that there will be no 3GHz model this year.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
otter-boy said:

I disagree. They should release new models as soon as they are ready. I suspect the 3 GHz models will not be ready before the end of summer (though they might be announced at WWDC), so if we can get a bump now, let's do it. That's at least four months of 2.4 + GHz. Why hold it back?

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
somehow i do not care about 3ghz ... whatever comes i'll get it - i simply have to update my dual g4 450 mhz ... well, people will be "disapointed" - though a 2.4 ghz machine for sure is great !!! especially if you have 8 gb of ram !!! this will scream !!!
.a

AppleJustWorks

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
New York
Heres to May 18th.

Well heres to May 18th updates...I was kind of surprised when I saw that there wasn't any iPod updates today....
Ooh Well

phonic pol

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
No updates soon, I hope.

I would much rather apple didn't release updates soon. We've gone long enough now without rev b's that it seems a waste to release new models soon without crossing the 3 ghz boundary. I would prefer to see monsterously fast machines (3 to 4 ghz) released later in the year with major impact to continue the g5 envy syndrome experienced over the last year. Along with a signicant case redesign, obviously not from scratch but just enough to get people talking again - besides my trusty g4 can wait as long as it has too :)

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
This makes no sense at all for a number of reasons.

1) What in the heck would they debut at WWDC? A revamped iMac? WWDC is not the ideal venue for such an announcement. Especially if the update doesn't hit 3 Ghz (which it almost certainly wouldn't), as Steve would be dining on crow while he tried to get a bunch of power users excited about a consumer-grade product.

2) The Brilliant Savings promo ends at WWDC. It doesn't take a degree in marketing to know that promotional incentives do not usually accompany a hotly anticipated product release.

3) Apple would be in the tail end of displaying their wares at drupa (a graphic design super-expo that runs May 6-19). If the rumor was that it would be debuted on the 6th or 7th, it might make a little sense, but not much.

4) Apple quietly released the new PB and iBook lines. It is not Apple's style to quietly update major product lines twice in a row, especially when one of them has the widest profit margin of anything on offer. That's what the other guys do.

5) There will be an announcement of 3 Ghz PMs at WWDC. Of course they won't ship for an eternity, but it will happen regardless. Why, you may ask? Steve doesn't like to eat crow if he can possibly avoid it. And he has no problem whatsoever announcing products that won't arrive anywhere near the scheduled release. As Oscar Wilde once said, "punctuality is the thief of time." I imagine Steve wholeheartedly agrees.

Borg3of5

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2003
Orlando, FL
Update on G5

I really hope Apple does update the G5, and quickly. It would be great to get a discount on the Dual 2.0 GHz, and be able to take advantage of the Brilliant Savings promotion, which alone is worth it to get an 'older' G5.

The 23" HD Cinema display rocks; and, I still, for the love of G*d do not understand why folks are so uptight about Apple revising the current display schemes to 'match' the G5s' aluminum motif.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, matching is out, combining dissimilar products are in for the fashion world, and in general. The current clear plastic displays DO match the aluminum G5's. Anyone who says they are an eyesore is on crack.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Borg3of5 said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, matching is out, combining dissimilar products are in for the fashion world, and in general. The current clear plastic displays DO match the aluminum G5's. Anyone who says they are an eyesore is on crack.

:D Now don't hold back there :p

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
Borg3of5 said:

I second that. I, for one, do not want an aluminum display. The current design is breathtaking and more functional (you can remove the hinge on the back to hang it on the wall or attach it to an ergonomic arm). Also, I suspect the aluminum version will be heavier, but I could be wrong. The industrial look of the G5 is sexy in its own way, but I am not a big fan.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Borg3of5 said:
The 23" HD Cinema display rocks; and, I still, for the love of G*d do not understand why folks are so uptight about Apple revising the current display schemes to 'match' the G5s' aluminum motif.

Here here. I picked one up last weekend from my local apple retail store. I love the thing, its the best purchase I have ever made (aside from my G5). I got hooked up too, even though I bought my G5 in october, I was able to get the 500 discount on my display. I really don't think that they don't match, and to tell you the truth, I think I like it better than I would a metal bezel display, OS X already hs enough metal. For those contemplating getting the 23", do it, I am very happy. Now if I could only sell my old e540's. . .

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Borg3of5 said:
I really hope Apple does update the G5, and quickly. It would be great to get a discount on the Dual 2.0 GHz, and be able to take advantage of the Brilliant Savings promotion, which alone is worth it to get an 'older' G5.

They do match the current PowerMac G5's, but they've used this design for the past 3 to 4 years now and its getting a little old. Plus I believe the 23" Cinema Display's technology is older than the 20" Cinema Display. It would also be nice for Apple to release a 17" widescreen display. I still can't understand why Apple doesn't use the 17" widescreen display thats used in the iMac/PowerBook. Its a beautiful display that is crisp and has an awesome backlight. They need also need to have a little more flexibility when it comes to adjusting it. If Apple could somehow get it to adjust like the flat panel iMac then that would be great. Right now the current displays you can either move it up or down and not very much. So display updates are way over due in my opinion.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Borg3of5 said:
The problem is is that the "old" g5's are having lots of problems. I'm waiting for rev. B- I don't care what speed they are- I just want one that's more reliable. For a pro audio guy who needs silence- I simply cannot accept the chirping noises and fan control problems- and yes, these faults are very widespread. If they were quality machines, I would snatch that offer in a second- I don't care about matching displays either!

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Bhennies said:
The problem is is that the "old" g5's are having lots of problems. I'm waiting for rev. B- I don't care what speed they are- I just want one that's more reliable. For a pro audio guy who needs silence- I simply cannot accept the chirping noises and fan control problems- and yes, these faults are very widespread. If they were quality machines, I would snatch that offer in a second- I don't care about matching displays either!

I'm waiting for a rev b, too. But May 18th? Sounds like a date pulled out of a hat. Besides, I thought the date was March 23rd?

jwdawso

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2002
Xserves!

I'll believe it when I start see Xserve ship dates get to < 1 week.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
gekko513 said:
Maybe we'll just have to realise that there will be no 3GHz model this year.
In which case we'll all know that Apple is in fact full of ****, and doesn't keep very public promises, and that IBM is just as good as freakin' moto :rolleyes:

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
apple really needs to update the G5's ASAP, even if they're not a whole lot faster cut the prices up the video RAM to 128MB standard 256MB on the 9800, add some higher end graphics options, include bluetooth and AE standard like on the new powerbooks

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
edesignuk said:
In which case we'll all know that Apple is in fact full of ****, and doesn't keep very public promises, and that IBM is just as good as freakin' moto :rolleyes:

The thing is, IBM actually made the effort to get chips out when they said they would (xServe), but blew it by trying to add TWO new technologies at one at the same time as shrinking the process to 90nm.

Moto/freescrap, i doubt ever moved technology.

IBM could probably have delivered 2.3Ghz G5s for the xServe in time, provided they be at the old 130nm design. But people are reporting that finally, the Dual 2Ghz xServes are arriving, so this is good news.
----
As for the 3s. Apple will probably go dual 2.4 and 2.8, and then have the Dual 3s show up after the summer ends- provided Fishkill is up to capacity on the 90nm by then. (crosses fingers)

V.

Jag31X

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2004
Dang...Should I wait for the update?!!

I was planning on getting a new G5, but should I wait for an update?

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
x86isslow said:
As for the 3s. Apple will probably go dual 2.4 and 2.8, and then have the Dual 3s show up after the summer ends- provided Fishkill is up to capacity on the 90nm by then. (crosses fingers)

V.

that could work... it may be a little anti-climactic... but apple could release 2.4 and 2.8 [or similiar]... keep the 2.0 at the low end, and then when they are indeed ready... add the 3.0 to the top and drop the 2.0... sort of like what they did with the dual 1.8... just sneaking it in a little later...

i dont know though... i think glory hog steve wants to VERY publicly announce his new monster dual 3 gig G5 with at least 2 gigs ram standard... along side sexy new aluminum displays...

to dream...

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
new G5s in the middle of a quarter before WWDC leaving nothing huge for WWDC?

YEAH RIGHT! *laughs myself silly of the chair.

TRiPod

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2004
Bhennies said:
so get a dual 2. the audio problems were with dual 1.8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.