PDA

View Full Version : Flashing older cards?

2002cbr600f4i
May 6, 2009, 01:32 PM
Ok, I didn't see anything when I searched on here (probably bad search terms), but is it possible to either flash one of the older Radeon 2000, 3000, or 46xx series cards so they'll work under OSX on the Mac Pro?

I just got my new Mac Pro with the 4870 card in it, and I need a lower-power 2nd card to drive my other 2 monitors. I'd like to use something like the 4650 or 4670, but something like the 36xx or 2600XT would work as well. I could just get a Mac 2600Xt card, but they seem rather pricey for a 2 generation old card.

So, is it possible to flash one of these other PC cards so they'll work in the Mac? I know you guys are having pretty good success with the 48xx series....

Thanks!

--Mike

robbieduncan
May 6, 2009, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure you'd need there to have been a Mac version of the card to get the ROM image to flash with.

Spanky Deluxe
May 6, 2009, 01:51 PM
Since whatever you get will be a secondary card you could just use netkas' package for multiple ATI graphics cards. I think the package is somewhere up on his website (http://netkas.org/) although make sure you download the Mac Pro version and *not* the hackintosh version (which is the one linked in the post on the website).

This way you wouldn't have to flash the other card and it seems to be working with at least third party 4890 cards and I think 4850 cards. Do a search for his posts, he's on here.