PDA

View Full Version : OS X Server 10.3 "talking to foreign countries"

3wishmonkeypaw
May 6, 2009, 05:22 PM
I work for a program in a high school, and we are running an old xserve with 10.3 on it. The only services we use are AFP and web. The dept. of education asked us take our server down because as of 4/23/09, "It is talking to foreign countries... Traffic is constantly coming out, even now."
I've checked every log file possible and don't even see and spikes in bandwidth or anything out of the ordinary. I'm currently running macscan on it but it appears that will only show me tracking cookies. Is it possible we've been hacked? I would hate to have to erase and install and set everything back up but if I can't get help then I guess that's all I will be able to do. Hopefully somebody knows something about this.. Thanks.

Mac_Max
May 8, 2009, 01:01 AM
Are you behind a firewall or do you have any ports forwarded to the Mac?

Where is their information coming from and can they give you copies of the logs? I worked at a school for a while and we did have some issues with some overzealous network admins on the school district side... just saying you should verify that there is actually a problem. If you have an open server running, someone in another country or someone who runs behind a proxy in another country could be causing the problem.