Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolf234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
how do I create iphone 3g ringtones from songs.

Thanks new to iphone 3g

Yakko

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
you can do it all through iTunes. I'm not sure if the process is the same on a Mac, but here's how I do it on a pc:

-right click on the song you want to use and select "get info".
-from the pop-up box, select "options".
-check both boxes next to the words "start time/stop time".
-enter the min./sec. you want the song to start/stop in the boxes and click ok(remember to copy the actual time in which the song ends first cause you will need to put it back in later).
-right click the song again and then select "create AAC version".
-right click the copied song(AAC version) and select "open in Windows Explorer".
-change the file ext. from m4a. to m4r.(a box pops up; just click yes)(you will notice the icon has changed also).
-double click the song and it should open in iTunes automatically and a new ringtone folder will show up under the main Library.
-finally, just close the Windows Explorer box and go back to the main music library and delete the original AAC version of the song(the one that was copied), and change the original song back to its original running time.
-from there just sync your phone as usual and the new ringtone should be on your phone.

crazies007

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
changing file extenstion in itunes 8.1.1.10

I have tried numerious times to change the file extension from m4a to m4r i'm not sure if im not doing something correctly or if itunes just won't let me change it please help:confused:

wolf234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
how to change file ext

How do I change the file ext?

you can do it all through iTunes. I'm not sure if the process is the same on a Mac, but here's how I do it on a pc:

-right click on the song you want to use and select "get info".
-from the pop-up box, select "options".
-check both boxes next to the words "start time/stop time".
-enter the min./sec. you want the song to start/stop in the boxes and click ok(remember to copy the actual time in which the song ends first cause you will need to put it back in later).
-right click the song again and then select "create AAC version".
-right click the copied song(AAC version) and select "open in Windows Explorer".
-change the file ext. from m4a. to m4r.(a box pops up; just click yes)(you will notice the icon has changed also).
-double click the song and it should open in iTunes automatically and a new ringtone folder will show up under the main Library.
-finally, just close the Windows Explorer box and go back to the main music library and delete the original AAC version of the song(the one that was copied), and change the original song back to its original running time.
-from there just sync your phone as usual and the new ringtone should be on your phone.

Yakko

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
How do I change the file ext?

After you have edited the song and created an AAC version, you right click on the new song and select "open in Windows Explorer". When the box comes up, the file should be highlighted(if not, just click on it twice(not fast tho)). After which you just change the file ext. there.

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
This may help

Go to the start menu, select Control Panel
Look for “Folder Option”, Double click
-Click view
Under Advance Setting uncheck “Hide Extensions for known files types”
Click OK
Step Two
Open iTunes
Pick the song you want as your ringtone
You can not use any song that was brought from iTunes if was brought before the DRM standards were changed . These are protected songs, to get around this burn the song to a CD then import it back into your library. You can then use the burned one to make the ringtone.

Pick up to 40 sec of the song you want, keep track of where you want to begin and end.
Ex. If you want to begin at 2:13 of the song and end at 2:44.

Right click the song
Click “get info”
Click Opt.
In the start box type the start time (ex 2:13)
In the end box type the end time (ex. 2:44)
Click OK

Right click the song again
Click “convert to ACC File”
The song will show up in your music library

You then will pick the converted file right click it and click Show in Internet explorer

When the window pops up, right click the file and pick rename
Change the file ext. from “.m4a” to “.m4r”
Hit enter, answer OK to the question. The file is now changed to a ringtone.
Double click the file it will show up in your “ringtone” file in iTunes.

To add to iPhone just sync your phone pick ringtones manage them from there.

siegfried0213

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
converting songs as a ringtone in your iphone

1. under LIBRARY, choose MUSIC
2. click VIEW, then VIEW OPTIONS
3. under VIEW OPTIONS, uncheck all except ringtone
4. in MUSIC select the song that you want as a ringtone.
5. right click, then choose GET INFO
6. under GET INFO click OPTIONS tab
7. under OPTIONS tab, click the START and AND with corresponding START and END time value (that will only lasts for 30secs)
8. click ok
9. select the song again and click ADVANCED, then CREATE AAC VERSION, creating duplicate song in your music library.
10. then choose the song that is AAC VERSION and drag it to your desktop
11. the extension name will be M4A, then rename it to M4R
12. choose the AAC version again in your music library then delete it.
13. under LIBRARY, click the RINGTONE
14. click VIEW, then VIEW OPTIONS
15. under VIEW OPTIONS, UNCHECK ALL
16. then drag the M4R file from your desktop going to RINGTONE LIBRARY
17. then click your device (with IPHONE ICON)
18. choose RINGTONE TAB, then check the SELECTED RINGTONES then choose the ringtones you want be transferred in your iphone, then click SYNC
19. after the SYNCING process go to settings/sounds/ringtones/custom (you will see your chosen song, set as a ringtone)

NOTE: IN VIEW OPTIONS, UNCHECKING ALL the other categories such as ALBUM, ALBUM ARTIST, GENRE, ETC.., will avoid the failure of creating your chosen song/s as a ringtone, during syncing process

My itune software version is 9.1.1.12
My iphone 3gs version is 3.1.3 (7E18)

It works 100%!!! Rock and roll!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.