PDA

View Full Version : Dead iPod Cable

Horrortaxi
Apr 28, 2004, 07:47 PM
Has anybody ever had their iPod's firewire cable take a dump? My iPod started doing odd things like not mounting, crashing Finder, not updating, and clicking. It looked like a classic dead hard drive. Same results on 2 Macs and many user accounts. I took it to the Apple Store and the Genius couldn't replicate the problem. I figured it had to be the dock or the cable. I used my iSight's cable with a Dr. Bott adaptor on it and had no problems at all. I copied 10GB back and forth without a hitch. Prior to this I couldn't even install the firmware update.

So it sounds like there's no doubt the cable is at fault. Has anybody else had this happen, and is the cable covered under warranty?

dukemeiser
Apr 28, 2004, 10:18 PM
I've had trouble getting my iPod to mount, but I just assumed it was a software problem, since it works fine now. If you can prove that the cable is faulty they just might replace it.

Horrortaxi
Apr 28, 2004, 10:40 PM
It's just process of elimination. The problem is intermittant (as are all really good electrical problems). I figure if they can replicate it they should replace the cable. I'll give it a try.

piggy
May 18, 2004, 10:13 AM
Has anybody ever had their iPod's firewire cable take a dump? My iPod started doing odd things like not mounting, crashing Finder, not updating, and clicking. It looked like a classic dead hard drive. Same results on 2 Macs and many user accounts. I took it to the Apple Store and the Genius couldn't replicate the problem. I figured it had to be the dock or the cable. I used my iSight's cable with a Dr. Bott adaptor on it and had no problems at all. I copied 10GB back and forth without a hitch. Prior to this I couldn't even install the firmware update.

So it sounds like there's no doubt the cable is at fault. Has anybody else had this happen, and is the cable covered under warranty?

I recenty had the same issue, thought it was the ipod hard drive, then the cable. Turns out it was an issue with having the ipod and isight connected at the same time. Seems fairly well documented - something about the isight taking up all the bandwidth and/or power from the firewire i/o card. When you borrow the cable from the isight (and unplug the isight) bingo it works making you think it is a cable error - hope that helps

Horrortaxi
May 18, 2004, 11:43 AM
You're like a genius or something. I'll look into that possibility on the Apple boards. Apart from unplugging one device while using the other is there a workaround?