Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Too bad I live on the other side of the country... but I visited DC on a school trip about a month ago and it's a nice place. My friends and I were discussing how DC would be a nice place to go to college (esp Georgetown University). This would add to such an experience.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I applaud the work of the Open Park Project. This will be a great public service being offered free to all. To create the sharing of ideal at the seat of our democracy.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Oh no, this isn't a terrorsit threat or something?

I applaud them for their free internet.

Great work, great work.

Though I bet some hackers crack the network in a few days... bah!

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
mms said:
My friends and I were discussing how DC would be a nice place to go to college (esp Georgetown University). This would add to such an experience.

booooo! hissss!

george washington! :cool: :cool:

def have to try out the wireless though

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Interesting. This will make a difference for the many protests that occur on the Mall. They will be able to webcast them and report from them much more easily.

And although I applaud the good intentions of this group, it reminds me a little of SpyMac--what is their motivation? Doesn't it seem unwise that some mystery group should be able to control all the ingoing and outgoing data of people who use the free wireless at such important places as the Supreme Court and Congress? I recognize that public officials themselves will have their own secure lines, but I still don't trust it.

Who controls/maintains the hot spots after this group sets them up?

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
gwuMACaddict said:
booooo! hissss!

george washington! :cool: :cool:

def have to try out the wireless though

Go gWEB. Look for airwick if you are anywhere near the Smith Center/School Without Walls. We have a free network on a 3mbit with 3 aps :)

You know what sucks though. The Marvin center has wireless but it's just for the conference rooms

Oh yeah it doesn't cover the Mall yet, I was just down there Tuesday with my laptop.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
virividox said:
oooo too bad i live across the ocean hehe

you could always move to Brighton, and use the Wi-Fi on the beach there. ;)

or just move to London, it's still surprising how many networks are open. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Awimoway said:
Interesting. This will make a difference for the many protests that occur on the Mall. They will be able to webcast them and report from them much more easily.

well, it will also be interesting when there are events on the Mall, 4th of July, Smithsonian Festival (with all the tents and power supplies), marches, etc. if the network can handle the load :D

I guess we'll know next year.

And the new WWII memorial officially opens tomorrow - its right between the Washington and Lincoln Memorial......going to be a busy place...

D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Awimoway said:

And although I applaud the good intentions of this group, it reminds me a little of SpyMac--what is their motivation? Doesn't it seem unwise that some mystery group should be able to control all the ingoing and outgoing data of people who use the free wireless at such important places as the Supreme Court and Congress? I recognize that public officials themselves will have their own secure lines, but I still don't trust it.

Who controls/maintains the hot spots after this group sets them up?

I can understand your concerns. And their comments about democracy make it seem larger than I think it is. There are many that feel that the internet should be free. And WiFi has the promise of doing that.

That being said i look forward to it. For news outlets, this opens up new possibilities with the Nikon D2H and its WiFi capabilities.

There are also many other spots that I would to see coverage in the DC area. LBJ Grove, Georgetown Harbor Place, Dupont Circle, and Freedom Plaza.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Mr. Anderson said:
And the new WWII memorial officially opens tomorrow - its right between the Washington and Lincoln Memorial......going to be a busy place...

D

haha yeah i'm taking a trip there today for 2nd period. One problem with the mall is the light though. Too bright for laptops and honestly when I got to mall I usually just bike around or stuff (not related to computers).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
whfsdude said:
haha yeah i'm taking a trip there today for 2nd period. One problem with the mall is the light though. Too bright for laptops and honestly when I got to mall I usually just bike around or stuff (not related to computers).

That is why LBJ Grove, Dupont Circle, and Harbor Place would be nicer. A little more shade.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Mr. Anderson said:

walked around in there a few nights ago, the guy that was testing the fountains let me in. very well done monument. :)

nice to see all the VA/DC/MD representation in the forum :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
gwuMACaddict said:
walked around in there a few nights ago, the guy that was testing the fountains let me in. very well done monument. :)

I might get out there one night and take some pics.....

Someday GeekFest will come back to DC - we'll have to get more people together :D

D

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Mr. Anderson said:
I might get out there one night and take some pics.....

definitely- i didnt have my digital with me or i would have. the way the monument is set up, it really frames the lincoln and the washington- depending on which way you're facing. i was pleasently surprised when it was finished, it was so ugly down there for so long while they were building it....

and we're off topic. but yeah, i'm worried about the privacy of an open network on the mall... how would that work exactly anyway? would people be able to monitor exactly what webpage you were looking at and stuff like that?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
gwuMACaddict said:
and we're off topic. but yeah, i'm worried about the privacy of an open network on the mall... how would that work exactly anyway? would people be able to monitor exactly what webpage you were looking at and stuff like that?

how would that matter - they'd still have to find you :D

Now, you could abuse it, of course, but I'd say in general its a good thing and most people who use it will be happy its there.

D

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
gwuMACaddict said:
but yeah, i'm worried about the privacy of an open network on the mall... how would that work exactly anyway?

People can do that on a LAN (unless it is switched). I really think it isn't a problem. People are really not going to be buying things online. The only thing I can think of that would cause problems is lots of people just run AIM or E-mail without any type of encryption. Anyway if you have stuff you don't want other people to know you should already be using encryption. :-\

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Since I might have the mindshare of WiFi users here, I have a question.

When using a WiFi Freespot, how do I send mail if I don't know the server name? My primary SMTP is cox.net. I also have a .Mac account; but when i am at home I need to use the cox.net SMTP for any outgoing mail. I tried for the first time Panera bakery's free Wifi. Great for websurfing. But could not get my mail out. Any thoughts?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Chip NoVaMac said:
Since I might have the mindshare of WiFi users here, I have a question.

When using a WiFi Freespot, how do I send mail if I don't know the server name? My primary SMTP is cox.net. I also have a .Mac account; but when i am at home I need to use the cox.net SMTP for any outgoing mail. I tried for the first time Panera bakery's free Wifi. Great for websurfing. But could not get my mail out. Any thoughts?

Cox probably limits use of its SMTP service to users inside of their network (a smart move on their part). .Mac SMTP will let you send from anywhere though, since it uses password protection. When you write a new outgoing mail, change the SMTP server to .Mac in the little drop down menu under the Sender: field.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
crazzyeddie said:
Cox probably limits use of its SMTP service to users inside of their network (a smart move on their part). .Mac SMTP will let you send from anywhere though, since it uses password protection. When you write a new outgoing mail, change the SMTP server to .Mac in the little drop down menu under the Sender: field.

Thanks, i noticed a setting Mail preferences that allows me to set the outgoing server.

Thanks again for the help.

Chip

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
hotspotsfordemocracy.gif

http://www.openpark.net/

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
crazzyeddie said:

As far as I know Cox blocks port 25 so that you have to use their SMTP server. Many ISPs due this. The only way around it is to use a SMTP server on a different port.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
whfsdude said:

nice - but did you notice on their website they said the midmall hot spot isn't up yet :D

Still, I'll be following it closely and see when they add more spots - there are a lot of trees by the mid mall location, so that won't be too bad during the day.

D

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Yeah I think the goal is 22 hotspots. :) Wish there was an apple store somewhere in DC (actually in DC), like for example at Union Station so travelers could get free WiFi + free WiFi=good PR for Apple. They don't need to hook those APs up to a T1, just DSL or some type of broadband/narrow band. Can't stand places that charge for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.