Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
I know many of us have speculated on the rev.C MBA and what it will almost certainly/likely/hopefully pack into its svelte form. A lot of the 'certain' components are just that because they've just been released by their manufacturers; e.g. Intel SL9600 processors, Samsung 256GB SSD etc. So why the continued delay, many of us ask, if the bits are already in the wild? What's the bottleneck component? The lack of news, rumours, anything really....lots of talk about June around WWDC but unlike the MB/MBP there's no sense of anything. It's a bit odd to say the least.

Until now, most of us have just been holding out for a nice refresh, speed bumps all round, more storage and hell maybe even some new battery tech already present on the 17 MBP. Sure, there's some aesthetically-challenged troglodytes who want/expect a black bezel and a sheet of glass covering the screen but let's ignore those poor souls for now. Why? Because I have a feeling, a hunch, that Apple may just pull a rabbit out of the hat in this area...

I read this recently on MR...

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/22/15-oled-panel-from-lg-headed-for-apple-notebook-this-summer/

OLED? 15"? Announced June?

Even aside from the wording "NEW Apple laptop", my first thought still wasn't the BTO option on a MBP. What laptop would benefit from an ultra-thin, high-spec, low-energy, premium-priced display most? What laptop NEEDS to reclaim the 'innovative' tag most after a calamitous birth? Why, the MBA of course. And then recent rumour about the 15" MBA which most people dismissed out of hand as nonsensical. But what if, WHAT IF???

Would need a new form factor you think, but again I got to thinking, can it be done? Would the current form factor allow for a 15" OLED display in there? Slim down or get rid of that ridiculously thick and unsightly bezel, and is it possible to fit 15" of screen real estate in there? I wonder....

I've gone from being pessimistic to ambivalent about the future of the MBA (wondering if it was going to join my Cube in the 'loved, classic but mothballed' category of Apple hardware), full circle to now being actually quite excited about what is going to come. Because one thing, if they stick an OLED in there, despite the eye-watering price, it will be a statement of intent, confirmation that Apple still sees the MBA as its premium flagship, its 'Concorde', it's loss-leading innovative most-desriable product within the range. The company can afford to do this, selling a billion iPods every minute, so why not?

Here's hoping....

Sdancott

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Sheffield, UK
What laptop would benefit from an ultra-thin, high-spec, low-energy, premium-priced display most? What laptop NEEDS to reclaim the 'innovative' tag most after a calamitous birth? .

Good post, but i don't see it happening myself.

Surely all laptops would benefit from a high-spec, ultra-thin, low-energy display? no?

15inch display in a MacBook Air? Doesn't seem to sit right with me. OLED will be reserved as a BTO option for MacBook Pros.

Couldn't the MacBook Pro be described as Apple's "concorde"?

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
It's certainly possible.

I don't think it's birth is as dramatically bad as you make it sound.

The MBA was supposed to be a high margin low volume product targeted at a specific market. I see a ton of these on the street.

The people who claim the thing was still born are mainly the folks who would never buy one anyway.

It's been out for 2 years and been through 2 iterations and I still see no competition for it. Even Dell's attempt at an MBA killer falls short.

An OLED screen for Apple's high margin line would certainly be a consideration. I would think it may be standard on an MBA and maybe even the Pro line. I'm sure Apple want's to tweak every ounce of weight and power out of the MBP.

The truth is, there hasn't really been much in the way of CPU improvements coming from Intel in order to do a speed bump. The SSD market is barely at 256GB and is still very expensive. We'll see what June brings, but I don't see a major upgrade for this until next March / April. Maybe the new OLED panels and a 256GB option. Perhaps even getting rid of the HD option and having a 128GB low option and 256GB high option.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Good post, but i don't see it happening myself.

Surely all laptops would benefit from a high-spec, ultra-thin, low-energy display? no?

15inch display in a MacBook Air? Doesn't seem to sit right with me. OLED will be reserved as a BTO option for MacBook Pros.

Couldn't the MacBook Pro be described as Apple's "concorde"?

Agree that's it my heart not my head speaking, but whilst I accept a BTO option on the MBP is the most likely, I can't help but wonder if they'll offer the same on the MBA. They are after all considered equivalent in terms of 'pro' build quality - the current displays for example, both equally and significantly higher quality than the woeful MB display.

OLED brings both 'green' low-energy requirements (which may further augment the new battery tech) and higher resolution - both of which are key features in a laptop that prides itself on portability and high spec.

As for my Concorde analogy, I still think it stands. The MBP is more 'first class' - top spec but a wider market and highly profitable, maybe the unibody version is 'first' on the new A380? The MBA meanwhile is, like the grand old bird was for BA and AF a massive loss-leader, but a testbed of innovation, still something aspirational even to the average Joe in the street, but not really practical for most. I just hope it doesn't end up the same way.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
It's certainly possible.

I don't think it's birth is as dramatically bad as you make it sound.

The MBA was supposed to be a high margin low volume product targeted at a specific market. I see a ton of these on the street.

The people who claim the thing was still born are mainly the folks who would never buy one anyway.

It's been out for 2 years and been through 2 iterations and I still see no competition for it. Even Dell's attempt at an MBA killer falls short.

An OLED screen for Apple's high margin line would certainly be a consideration. I would think it may be standard on an MBA and maybe even the Pro line. I'm sure Apple want's to tweak every ounce of weight and power out of the MBP.

The truth is, there hasn't really been much in the way of CPU improvements coming from Intel in order to do a speed bump. The SSD market is barely at 256GB and is still very expensive. We'll see what June brings, but I don't see a major upgrade for this until next March / April. Maybe the new OLED panels and a 256GB option. Perhaps even getting rid of the HD option and having a 128GB low option and 256GB high option.
It's birth wasn't stillborn I agree but its infancy was a disaster and Apple realised it needed to up its game drastically. The mountain of refurbs does not lie, and even here there are many who consider the MBA as still "not far off a netbook".

Oh and a minor correction but it's actually only been out for less than 18 months. But whilst I agree the Adamo is no competitor in itself, it may be considered a sign of things to come. It will have certainly raised some questioning within Apple about what to do with the MBA. A wake-up call if you like. In my opinion, they really need to get momentum going again in a product line that is suffering from inertia. As much for perception as for commercial reasons. OLED, even as an option, would accomplish this in spades.

The new CPU and hi-cap SSD are a given, but I was wondering if they would take a long jump on something like this, even if it was possible within the same case? My long-held view on Apple is that whilst not always predictable, if they can do something, more often than not, they will.

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Hate to dampen your expectations or wishes. But June is iPhone and iPod touch new releases. There are no hopes for any new laptops or iMacs since the whole laptop range has been refreshed not that long ago.

The iTablet would be a nice surprise but it might just be called iBook since they had used the name before and it will be a do-all/end all cross-over machine. The itablet to augment or complement a Macbook (pro/Air), larger tablet to take longer net browsing from iPhone relegating it to phone and IM duties. When docked at hope, pretty much replace AppleTV and act like a console with its iPhone compatible games. The hardware is already in place and iPhone 3.0 OS just right for it.

Most people love to ridicule Apple's product, but when they start using it, they will know what its design intend was meant for. How apple price it would be controversial as usual. I will take 3 this time for iBook.:D

mudenza

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2006
An OLED screen would be very feasible on the MBA, yet at the stage it might not be financially feasible for Apple, unless they bring OLED to the MB range as well so take advantage of the economies of scale. Then again, the MBA was the first 13 inch with LED tech, so it could be possible. Everything depends on the costs involved.

Mind, I highly doubt to see a 15 inch MBA any time soon.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Hate to dampen your expectations or wishes. But June is iPhone and iPod touch new releases. There are no hopes for any new laptops or iMacs since the whole laptop range has been refreshed not that long ago.
No hopes? Not so...;)

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/22/macbooks-macbook-pros-and-pro-apps-to-see-updates-at-wwdc/

Plus the whole laptop range was last refreshed back in early October (7 months ago now) and all are rapidly approaching the average refresh time soon, certainly in time for WWDC or thereabouts.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
An OLED screen would be very feasible on the MBA, yet at the stage it might not be financially feasible for Apple, unless they bring OLED to the MB range as well so take advantage of the economies of scale. Then again, the MBA was the first 13 inch with LED tech, so it could be possible. Everything depends on the costs involved.

Mind, I highly doubt to see a 15 inch MBA any time soon.

Agree about the cost, but that's no reason to not at least offer it as a BTO.

You say it's practically feasible but then doubt a 15" MBA, which kind of misses my point. What I want to know is what size display is actually feasible WITHIN the current form factor, given the current 13.3" is surrounded by a bezel the width of the Grand Canyon. Compared to my old thin-bezeled TiBook, the thing is positively obese. Surely some scope for squeezing a larger display area in there?

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
iPod touch is September. Plus the whole notebook range was updated in October of last year. If you're talking about the March speed bump then it only affected two MacBook Pros, unless there were other minor updates I missed. They've done these small speed bumps before and that hasn't delayed releases.

enfanteribl

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Could the MBA fit a 15" screen without changing its form? Would a 14" be more reasonable? The rumours all surround the LG OLED, I know, and LG have formed a partnership with Apple. However, if Apple had to redesign the MBA, it would seem doubtful. If they could squeeze 15" into it, then it might be possible.

AN OLED MBA would be great though, and it would create a little more clear water between the MBA and the MBs

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Could the MBA fit a 15" screen without changing its form? Would a 14" be more reasonable? The rumours all surround the LG OLED, I know, and LG have formed a partnership with Apple. However, if Apple had to redesign the MBA, it would seem doubtful. If they could squeeze 15" into it, then it might be possible.

AN OLED MBA would be great though, and it would create a little more clear water between the MBA and the MBs
Not exactly scientific I know, but since I don't have an MBA in front of me right now, can anyone confirm how thick the display bezel is? I'm guesstimating from memory about 0.8" or so (1.6" total width) meaning you could feasibly stick something in there around the region of 14.5" (allowing 0.4" for bezel) *

When they say 15", it doesn't have to be exactly 15", although usually (and probably legally) it's a minimum spec. The TiBook's "15-inch screen" was in fact 15.2, the PB's was 15.4, the MB/MBAs 13-incher in fact 13.3.

Higher resolution would improve matters and if I'm not mistaken the LG OLED screen is rumoured to be 16:9 not the usual 16:10, which would I suppose allow enough space up top for the iSight camera and ALS within the same case design. Just speculating of course.

*edit* of course I'm forgetting screen measurements are taken diagonally, oops.

mudenza

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2006
Agree about the cost, but that's no reason to not at least offer it as a BTO.

You say it's practically feasible but then doubt a 15" MBA, which kind of misses my point. What I want to know is what size display is actually feasible WITHIN the current form factor, given the current 13.3" is surrounded by a bezel the width of the Grand Canyon. Compared to my old thin-bezeled TiBook, the thing is positively obese. Surely some scope for squeezing a larger display area in there?

I didn't explain myself properly; the reason why I doubt to see a 15 inch version of the MBA is the chance that it would increase it's footprint, something that would go against the MBA's ethic.

Otherwise an OLED version of the 13 inch screen will happen, the exact timeframe of its appearance however, I cannot predict.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
As for my Concorde analogy, I still think it stands. The MBP is more 'first class' - top spec but a wider market and highly profitable, maybe the unibody version is 'first' on the new A380? The MBA meanwhile is, like the grand old bird was for BA and AF a massive loss-leader, but a testbed of innovation, still something aspirational even to the average Joe in the street, but not really practical for most. I just hope it doesn't end up the same way.

And Yet, the Concorde flights used to be pretty convenient. I know someone who flew on it regularly, so it was a niche market sorta like the MBA. Definitely not for the common man...

Don't you love how these things come full circle! :D

Sdancott

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Sheffield, UK
And Yet, the Concorde flights used to be pretty convenient. I know someone who flew on it regularly, so it was a niche market sorta like the MBA. Definitely not for the common man...

Don't you love how these things come full circle! :D

True, true. But look what happened to the concorde - decommissioned.

I hope they same fate doesn't await the lovely MBA

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
True, true. But look what happened to the concorde - decommissioned.

I hope they same fate doesn't await the lovely MBA

:D

Agreed, but nobody knows what expectations Apple had for the MBA. It could well be exceeding their expectations. We just don't know, because they don't break down the numbers.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I think 15" is too big for a so-called ultraportable. I don't think Apple will do that to the MBA when they finally seem to be feeling a little heat about the netbook craze.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
After getting rid of my Air and using the 15" pro, I don't think I could go back to a 13" screen. I would however love a 15" Air, provided they actually fix all the design flaws.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA

I have both my MacBook Air and MacBook Pro in front of me. No, the 15" screen is too wide to fit in the MacBook Air without changing the width of the computer. And personally I doubt that Apple would release a 15" MacBook Air, it would make it too big and heavy IMO. I bought the Air because I wanted an ultra portable, a 15" screen and a pound heavier (just a guess) would make it cease to be an ultra portable for me. It would lose any interest that I had in the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.