Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustGretchen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
So I have a new Mini, 2.0ghz, 4gb Mushkin RAM upgrade.

When I try to stream video from YouTube at fullscreen on my 22" display it will play fine for about 10-15 seconds but will then lock up. If I do command option esc. for a Force quit, the video kicks back out of fullscreen to a regular web browser, and immediately continues from where it locked up just fine.

This happens in both FF and Safari. Reboot does not solve the issue.

Suggestions?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Do you have Flash Player 10? If not, try getting it from adobe.com. Flash Player 10 fixed a lot of performance issues that came with 9.

JustGretchen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Yeah i do...and strangely enough i've been getting random error messages from some flash console thing that pops up on CERTAIN sites, but not youtube.

I think it's only on my macbook pro that I've really seen the errors though, not my mini.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
I'd check that the Mini sees the display's native graphics ok and settings look kosher there (Graphics/Displays, About this Mac).

JustGretchen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
yeah they are fine. 256mb ram too because I did the 4gb upgrade for my system ram.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Stream video in the same full screen mode from another source to verify that it's your hardware and not YouTube causing this.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Try to see if you could pause the YouTube video, wait for it to load all the way, then try playing it. It taxes the processor heavily to have the video download and play at the same time (Thanks to Adobe for ignoring the performance of the flash player on Macs)

JustGretchen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Videos typically are loaded all the way when I do it. So I don't think a buffer is the issue.

I don't have another display to output to though so I can't really test that.

It streams fine on my macbook pro.

HitmanC

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
i know this thread is old but...

this has been happening to me for a while now, but i believe that it is a problem with you tube maybe a server, i don't know, but the thing is, that whenever i watch a video from vimeo, even in hd, it has no problems at all and the quality is outstanding, even if you watch it while it is still loading.

try watch the video at vimeo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.