Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I'm having pretty bad difficulties with Windows 7 and Parallels Desktop. I know it's not supported yet, but some folk have it working. I can boot up, but I can't install Parallels Tools. I changed the Configuration to "Windows 2008 Server" like someone suggested in another forum, but fails to boot up.

Seems like VMWare are offering a better helping hand than Parallels Desktop - and while it is not supported yet by them, they say that if you use Windows 2008 Server Config everything works apart from sound.

So am I best giving it a bash with VMWare's Fusion? 30-day trial for free. But I'd rather try get Parallels working since I paid for it.

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
I'm actually testing Windows 7 RC on both VMware Fusion and Parallels (both trials) to see which of the two softwares I should get.

I had no issues installing Windows 7 on either VM software, although I didn't burn the Windows ISO file to a DVD (I just installed it via the ISO in both cases).

I have Windows 7 RC using the Windows 7 profile in Parallels and was able to install Parallels tools with no problems (I use the Windows 2008 Server profile in Fusion since there is no profile for Windows 7 in Fusion). From what I can tell Windows 7 runs the same in both Fusion and Parallels although Parallels gets a boost in speed because it supports more cores (experimental).

Both VM packages don't support Aero (I get a pathetic score of 1 for graphics using Windows Experience Index on both VM packages) so the only way to have Win7 look like how Mircrosoft intended it to is to boot it up in Boot Camp (I could be wrong but so far it seems to be the only way).

If you do decide to try it out in Fusion make sure you select it as a Windows 2008 Server but apparently using the Vista profile works to.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I'm actually testing Windows 7 RC on both VMware Fusion and Parallels (both trials) to see which of the two softwares I should get. <snip good info>
Appreciate the information. :)

I use both Parallels and VMware. Looks like Parallels might be the better choice until VMware is updated.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Ah.. I wasn't aware that Parallels Desktop is officially supporting Windows 7 now..? Seeing as they have a profile for it?

I was using Windows 7 with VMWare and it was bringing my Mac to an absolute crawl..

cashel

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Running vmware using the windows 7 RC bootcamp partition actually works better for me than bootcamp itself lol. Driver-wise anyway. Everything works for me in vmware.

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Ah.. I wasn't aware that Parallels Desktop is officially supporting Windows 7 now..? Seeing as they have a profile for it?

I was using Windows 7 with VMWare and it was bringing my Mac to an absolute crawl..

Yeah the profile is there but like the multi cores above 4 it's marked as "experimental".

jeevesofRKdia

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
Illinois
x64 W7 RC1

Perhaps someone can help me here:

I'm trying to run x64 Windows 7 RC1 on my Unibody MBP and keep getting the error that I can't even boot (it's the W7 background and they keep checking for repairs)
Using Server 2008, it loads but it's not "officially supported" is it a good idea to go for it anyway?

Also, first post! :D

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Perhaps someone can help me here:

I'm trying to run x64 Windows 7 RC1 on my Unibody MBP and keep getting the error that I can't even boot (it's the W7 background and they keep checking for repairs)
Using Server 2008, it loads but it's not "officially supported" is it a good idea to go for it anyway?

Also, first post! :D

If your running VMware Fusion you can either use the Windows Server 2008 64bit or Vista 64bit profiles, it may or may not work with other profiles. In Parallels you have the option of Windows 7 or if you imported Windows 7 into Parallels then it will appear as Windows "Other".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.