Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

challiman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2009
I have had a terribly time staying registered on this site, keeps claiming I am not entering the right 6 letters/numbers, so I don't want to waste this chance to ask a question.
I have a new MacBook, got it less than a week ago. I have PhotoShop Elements 6 on my old PC. I am considering getting PS for Mac, but wanted others who have far more experience to give their advice. I have a Nikon D60 DSLR and take LOTS of pictures, so I want to move them from PC to Mac properly, not re-do things. Would it be good to load them into IPhoto and use PS when I really needed that level? Would there be issues of getting them into PS if I put them in IPhoto? Any comments would be welcome.
Sorry for the initial question, no idea why it kept giving error messages.
I will be going to the Apple store next week, it is a two hour drive, so I am trying to get myself ready for the tutorial there and the file transfer, if I decide to do that with them.
Thank you so much.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I have had a terribly time staying registered on this site, keeps claiming I am not entering the right 6 letters/numbers, so I don't want to waste this chance to ask a question.
I have a new MacBook, got it less than a week ago. I have PhotoShop Elements 6 on my old PC. I am considering getting PS for Mac, but wanted others who have far more experience to give their advice. I have a Nikon D60 DSLR and take LOTS of pictures, so I want to move them from PC to Mac properly, not re-do things. Would it be good to load them into IPhoto and use PS when I really needed that level? Would there be issues of getting them into PS if I put them in IPhoto? Any comments would be welcome.
Sorry for the initial question, no idea why it kept giving error messages.
I will be going to the Apple store next week, it is a two hour drive, so I am trying to get myself ready for the tutorial there and the file transfer, if I decide to do that with them.
Thank you so much.

I use PSE 6 for all editing. It performs nicely. I'll state that I've always had a Photoshop app but only used it for cropping and "auto" features, but now I'm getting to really learn how to use it. I have no issues with it and it does what you need it to do and works good for me. I'll add I'm looking into getting Lightroom 2 or 3 if that's out by the time I make that $300 decision. I use iPhoto as merely a display of the final photos and for uploading said photo's to Flickr/Facebook.

challiman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Razeus, thank you. Do you import straight into Photo Shop or into iPhoto, I wasn't clear about that. PS is not the easiest thing to learn, I'm on my second class and finally it is sinking in. Takes a lot of patience to do some of the things our class is working on.
I also thought iPhoto would be a great way to view the photos and to share them. Now to get them transferred in the proper order.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Razeus, thank you. Do you import straight into Photo Shop or into iPhoto, I wasn't clear about that. PS is not the easiest thing to learn, I'm on my second class and finally it is sinking in. Takes a lot of patience to do some of the things our class is working on.
I also thought iPhoto would be a great way to view the photos and to share them. Now to get them transferred in the proper order.

I import to the Bridge (part of the Elements 6 package). From Bridge I delete bad photos, keyword tag what I keep, give star ratings and maybe move images and folders around.

After that, I decide what I want to edit and use PSE6. The final image gets saved as a high quality .jpeg.

Then I import the final's into iPhoto for viewing and perhaps uploading to Facebook/Flickr.

I'm new to DSLR myself so I'm still learning how to shoot and use software and organize.

Last night I upgraded to new software (don't ask how) to Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended (which came with a much improved Bridge CS4) and Adobe Lightroom 2. So now I have yet more software to learn on top of learning photography.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I ... Would there be issues of getting them into PS if I put them in IPhoto? Any comments would be welcome. ....

iPhoto and Photoshop (either Elements or CS4) work together seamlessly. You can set it up so that when you double click a photo in iPhoto it comes up inside Photoshop and when you save back it goes into iPhoto. To make this happen you specify "Photoshop" as the "default editor" in an iPhoto preferences panel.

The simplest workflow for you would be to directly import into iPhoto. You can do minor corrections and crops there, then if you need more double click and edit with Elements. iPhoto will always save the original files so you can un-do the edits. Some people think this takes up to much disk space but 1TB drives now sell for $100

challiman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Razeus, welcome to DSLR photography. I've been into it for about 3 years and am still a newbie as far as I'm concerned. I have taken several European trips and usually take 700-900 photos on each trip, which I understand is not that many to the REAL photographers. I don't travel to do photography, though. I take photos to add to the traveling. So, I'm not a purist, but am learning something every trip and every class I take. I now have to transfer all those photos onto the Mac and get them organized before the darn old computer crashes. I have them on CD's, but I want them in more than one place.
Chris, that is what I was hoping, just put them in iPhoto and then if needed use PS. I don't feel the need to have perfect photos, since I take so many, but obviously there are some that with a little help could be much nicer.
So, thanks to both of you, I am thinking I have a good idea of where to get started now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.