Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gemio17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
10 free songs - not of your choosing for one week....We've collectively downloaded 70 MILLION songs and made iTunes a semi profitable venture. I'm not complaining, because as I said it's better than nothing, but how 'bout a real thank you? 10 free song credits for a song/artist of our choosing to those of us who have spent serious dough making their venture a huge revolutionary success, an upgrade/trade-in iPod program, discounts on accessories/hardware-special buyer program-your next iPod for 50$ off (I won't even start to mention all those damn Pepsi's everyone who knows me had to buy instead of Cokes). Something can be said for the all the usual arguments-being on the cutting edge, restructuring the way we listen to and buy music, the cool geek factor, the digital music revolution etc. But am I way off base in thinking that if you're going to make a small token of appreciation give me something that makes me say-hey these guys rock, not only do they make great products but they also really care about their loyal consumers..the kind of people that get into fights with their peecee friends about how much peecees suck (and then convert them and the next day you are helping them set up their new iPod)...Maybe I'm just mad coz tommorrow is Avril day.

It's not that I'm not grateful for the gesture, am I making any sense here, or is this just a violent reaction to the fact that tomorrow I'm gonna download an Avril Lavigne song that I don't want and will never listen to just coz it's free?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Well your points are very valid IMO, but I doubt that any of it will be happening. Anytime a large company has a huge success with something, it just makes them more eager to find a way to have you give them more of your money. Not always the case but more often than not. Here is to wishing Apple can be a leader in this field.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I'm grateful for the gesture and it is better than nothing, although I probably won't take advantage of the offer because what's offered doesn't interest me.

Now, one free song at MY choosing for a limited amount of time - THAT would be something.

gemio17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
NYC
....and to add insult to injury- the song for today is only free for the "clean version"- f that- if I want to listen to Courtney Love, what's the use without the profanity?? ARGH. so obnoxious.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
gemio17 said:
10 free song credits for a song/artist of our choosing to those of us who have spent serious dough making their venture a huge revolutionary success...

And how exactly would you define "serious dough," and then justify that definition to everyone else who thinks they deserve free stuff too? The complaint line on that one would stretch back out the door.....

The free download is a marketing gimmick, probably calculated to appeal to as much of the mass market as possible. If you like the offering, good for you. If not, don't download it. Simple enough. And give it time....they may yet have something for your discriminating tastes eventually.

I'm not putting Avril Lavigne on my hard drive, whether she comes free or not. *yuk*

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
gemio17 said:
....and to add insult to injury- the song for today is only free for the "clean version"- f that- if I want to listen to Courtney Love, what's the use without the profanity?? ARGH. so obnoxious.

Whats obnoxious are people who complain about something they get for free. Apple doesn't owe it to you to give you ANYTHING. Rather than be greatful that you can get a few songs free you complain because you can't have exactly what you want. Its like a store offering you a free cookie and you having a fit because you wanted a whole pie. Grow up. You don't want it no one is making you down load it. Instead maybe you could be thankful that you get anything free at all.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
How about buy 1000 get 1 free? :rolleyes:

I would imagine the point of the free download is to bring new people into iTMS and show them how easy it really is to get a song, not to reward existing customers.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Krizoitz said:
Whats obnoxious are people who complain about something they get for free. Apple doesn't owe it to you to give you ANYTHING. Rather than be greatful that you can get a few songs free you complain because you can't have exactly what you want. Its like a store offering you a free cookie and you having a fit because you wanted a whole pie. Grow up. You don't want it no one is making you down load it. Instead maybe you could be thankful that you get anything free at all.

Geez, relax a bit.
Were are not complaining, just saying we would appreciate it if Apple did X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.