Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYU02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
So after asking a billion questions I went and got the air. Not only did I have the lines but the mouse button barely worked. If I click it on the sides it didn't move anything. NOW WHAT?

I'm torn because I really wanted the air but a part of me is saying to just get the macbook.

I dont know!

NYU02

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
If you have a defective machine, you should take it back

As far as Air v. MacBook, only you can make the right decision for you

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
It's your right to have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I was personally happy with my 1.86SSD and highly recommend it. Keep returning it til you're satisfied. Also Apple Store has all the models at your beck and call, use them and abuse them til you know what works for you.

Maks

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
It's your right to have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I was personally happy with my 1.86SSD and highly recommend it. Keep returning it til you're satisfied. Also Apple Store has all the models at your beckon call, use them and abuse them til you know what works for you.
It's "beck and call."

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Unfortunately Apple's track record for quality control has suffered recently. One bad MBA doesn't mean you made a bad decision and need to buy a different Mac. If I were you, I would take it back and exchange it. Unfortunately the low end rev B is more affected with different model display. Which display version do you have? One last consideration is possibility of a rev C MBA being released soon. Perhaps the line issue will be gone on next rev MBA. One last thing, I read that the lines are due to Apple lowering the power allocated for display. Maybe Apple trying to reduce weight and size and prolong battery power has taken it too far if the lines really are a power issue. Too bad for all those who have had unfortunate problematic displays.

Try again. Don't give up. The MBA is so fun when you get a good one.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Got a Rev. B on Wednesday. Perfect. Great screen. Mouse pad and button are fine.

The only complaint that I have are that the fans still rev up when these damn Adobe Flash adds populate my browser. Flash is just too CPU intensive. Shame on Adobe in this case.

King t.

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
oh that is really bad, well just take it back and have it replaced with a flawless machine :rolleyes:

NYU02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
I bought it from bestbuy. I want to keep trying, just feel bad if I keep getting bad ones.

lucamacis

macrumors member
May 5, 2009
London
Just keep on trying. It's your right to get a machine of your choice that works properly. There's nothing to feel bad about if they keep on screwing up.

@netDog - is there a firefox plugin that allows you to block flash from webpages? If so then that would be ideal for fan noise and battery life :)

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
The only complaint that I have are that the fans still rev up when these damn Adobe Flash adds populate my browser. Flash is just too CPU intensive. Shame on Adobe in this case.

Click to Flash takes care of this and speeds up browsing. I love it.
http://github.com/rentzsch/clicktoflash/tree/master

Download Link:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/clicktoflash/ClickToFlash-1.4fc6.zip

I have this running on Safari 4 Beta in case you are wondering.
From one 1.86SSD owner to another. ;)

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Got a Rev. B on Wednesday. Perfect. Great screen. Mouse pad and button are fine.

Firstly, what spec and screen model did you get?

As for Flash, it's insane the native support within OS X is abominable. Definitely some bad blood between Apple and Adobe but for gods sake they need to crack some heads, sort it out and soon!

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
THe probability is that Best Buy got a whole batch of MBA with the lines.

Does their display model have the lines showing?

It was mentioned that reduced power is the issue - but then - that can't explain why some of us get perfect machines - and some have lines. Unless different batches at the assembly plant are treated differently - or with different parts. which could be the case.

Take yours back to BB - and compare it to the floor display unit. if theirs is good - show them the difference is screen quality and demand one as good as theirs.

if their display unit has the lines - then return it for refund and look at a different store.

vcuares

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2008

I'm using Firefox and AdBlock Plus, works pretty well including the flash ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.