Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I had a netgear wireless ADSL router, and plugged in via Cat 5 - a time capsule.

The Netgear makes one wireless network with MAC white listing so no WPA etc.

The TC makes a different wireless network which has a WPA. They are on different channels. I wish to connect my Unibody Macbook to the TC's network.

Here is a typical experience.

Typical morning.
It's 07:15
£300 Samsung NC10 Laptop with a Dell WiFi Card in it.
Finds our TC Wifi Network
Connects
Works fine, reliably.
Turn it off.

Power up Unibody Macbook.
AP not connected
Click Icon
5 Networks show, including one of ours (NG but not TC)
Click it again
4 Networks show, neither of ours
Click Join Other Network
Click Show Networks
5 Networks show, including one of ours. (NG but not TC)
Load Istumbler
7 Networks show, including both of ours, with Signals of 72 and 66% (twice the strength of any other network, and both of different channels to any other networks)
Quit iStumbler
Click AP icon
Click Join Other Network
Click Show Networks
4 Networks show, including none of ours
Turn airport off
Turn airport on
Click Icon
5 Networks show, including one of ours (the TC, not the NG this time - but the TC vanished a second later)
Click Icon
6 Networks show, including both of ours. Click the TC one. It connects - full signal strength on Icon
Network Utility shows 130mbps connection
Network Prefs show I have a self-Assigned IP, thus no net access.

Try netbook - it connects to TC and NG in turn, fine, reliably.

Turn off both NG and TC
Turn both on again
Turn off AP on Mac
Turn on AP on Mac
Click AP Icon
6 Networks show, including both of ours. Click the TC one.
Asks for WPA, Keychain has already provided it. Click OK
Connecting to network....
Connection timeout

Open Netbook.
Connects fine
Shut down netbook

Click AP icon
Click Join Other Network
Click Show Networks
5 Networks show, including TC but not NG
Click it, hit join
Connecting to network
Connection timeout
Click Icon
5 Networks show, including TC but not NG. Click the TC one.
Asks for WPA, Keychain has already provided it. Click OK
Connecting to network....
Connection timeout
Go to network prefs
Make a new 'location'
Turn airport off
Turn airport on
Click AP icon
5 Networks show, including one of ours (the TC, not the NG this time - but the TC plus another vanished a second later)
Click AP icon
3 networks show, including neither of ours
Click AP icon
5 Networks show, including one of ours (the TC, but the TC plus another vanished a second later)
Open iStumbler
7 Networks show - still including both of ours at twice the strength of any other network, still with unique channels.
Click AP icon
5 Networks show, including one of ours (the TC)
Click our TC network
Connects immediately
Go to 192.168.0.1 to see if TC is seing the router (let alone internet)
Works perfectly
Try google.com
Works.

Time is 07:41
26 minutes of my life wasted.

Typically - over the past few weeks, when I've connected, I get a few minutes of BRILLIANT connectivity - then it dies. Then I end up going through some random routine as seen above for 5, maybe 10, maybe more minutes before, at random, it will connect again.

Why does my Macbook have such a damn hard time connecting to a fellow airport device, whilst a £300 netbook connects perfectly, first time every time, without ever having trouble?

I have a different ADSL box to try tonight as I've switched ISP's (not because of this - this is nothing to do with the ISP - this is an Apple issue).

It's a damn good job Apple make 'Keynote' - or I'd have switched back several months ago.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I had some trouble following all of what you said, though I did try my best to read & understand it.
Have you recently upgraded operating systems e.g. from Tiger to Leopard?
Have you tried either up or downgrading your AirPort firmware? That might do the trick.

If all else fails try a clean re-install of your OS, it's been reported to work. I trust you've done the PRAM reset already?

djellison

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Have you recently upgraded operating systems e.g. from Tiger to Leopard?

This is a fairly new Unibody Macbook. It came with Leopard, which has been updated with all latest updates.

The Time Capsule was upgraded to the most recent - which broke everything. It has since been downgraded back to the previous version which at least works occasionally.

I am not resintalling a whole bloody operating system to fix a WiFi problem. indeed - at work, connecting to an NG WAP.... it's FINE. PERFECT.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I am not resintalling a whole bloody operating system to fix a WiFi problem. indeed - at work, connecting to an NG WAP.... it's FINE. PERFECT.

Relax mate, it was only a suggestion. :cool: I know you're aggrevated, however still.
So AirPort works fine at work, but is giving you grief at home?

My last and final suggestion is - before taking it in to the apple store - phone up your ISP, maybe they can help you re-configure your settings. I remember when I set up the imac wifi I had to phone them up to get the correct settings for mac, since I had a PC sharing the same wireless. It's a shot in the dark, and I'm not even sure if it's relevant to the problem you're experiencing, especially since my macbook (same as yours - recent alu one) connected to the wifi without me having to muck with the settings.

Other than that, and what I said before, I'm out of suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.