PDA

View Full Version : Why does the color change when uploading?!

jplg842
May 8, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hello yall
A newbie recently opened my Flickr account.

I noticed that the color of my pictures changes after i upload them!
I'm using Aperture. I export the photos and then upload them.
In this picture: The color changes a little in safari, but is a whole different thing on firefox..

This used to happen in iPhoto too when uploading my photos after exporting them to Facebook, however when i started using the Facebook uploader plugin.. things work great

One more thing when i use Photoshop and edit the colors and then export the photo.. it would be totally pale when i open it on preview for an example!!

Im totally lost.
Thanks

thouts
May 8, 2009, 07:40 AM
same thing happens to me...only i'm using lightroom. anyone shed some light on this?

jampat
May 8, 2009, 07:48 AM
Not normally my department, but I think it is something to do with the colour spaces used by the different browsers. If you are uploading in one space and the browser supports a different one, things aren't as you expect.

thr33face
May 8, 2009, 07:54 AM
basically the colour and it's associated information is the same in both browsers.
what changes is how the colour is displayed.

this happens because the image has a colour-profile embedded into it. this colour-profile defines how certain colours should appear on screen. but this can only be done if the application reading and displaying the image can also read the colour-profile and knows what to do with it.
if an image has no colour-profile embedded or the browser cannot use colour-profiles then it will display the image in standard sRGB colour-space.

i believe there is an option to use colour-profiles in the hidden settings of firefox.

jplg842
May 8, 2009, 08:34 AM
Its not about me.. its about what everyone on the net sees..

r.j.s
May 8, 2009, 08:39 AM
Its not about me.. its about what everyone on the net sees..

You have no control over what they see, unless their browser is set to use a certain profile, and they have calibrated their monitor, then they will see something different than you 95% of the time.

Cliff3
May 8, 2009, 08:51 AM
In Firefox, type about:config in the address bar and scroll down to gfx.color_management.enabled and make sure it's set to true. If you calibrate your monitor, you can specify a profile for Firefox to use in gfx.color_management.display_profile (/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/<profile file name>). Safari and Preview are color managed by default. Also make sure you're exporting as sRGB. I don't know what Aperture uses as the default color space for exports, but browsers expect sRGB.

toxic
May 8, 2009, 10:14 AM
Hello yall
A newbie recently opened my Flickr account.

I noticed that the color of my pictures changes after i upload them!
I'm using Aperture. I export the photos and then upload them.
In this picture: The color changes a little in safari, but is a whole different thing on firefox..

This used to happen in iPhoto too when uploading my photos after exporting them to Facebook, however when i started using the Facebook uploader plugin.. things work great

One more thing when i use Photoshop and edit the colors and then export the photo.. it would be totally pale when i open it on preview for an example!!

don't bother opening images in preview...they never seem to look right.

check color management on your browser:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=296149

Aperture defaults jpg exports to sRGB, btw.

jplg842
May 8, 2009, 10:16 AM
thanks guys for the reply.
But what about i losing some of its color (being pale) when uploaded (even on safari)

Aperture is exporting in: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Olivier L.
May 8, 2009, 10:17 AM
Indeed, until a majority of browsers are "color profile aware", the way to go is make sure that you export picture for web with sRGB profile (it does not mean that the profile should be included, just that the color should be encoded in the reference).

ChrisA
May 8, 2009, 10:52 AM
In simple terms, your Mac is smart enough to look inside the image file and see what color space is being used. (Color space is the mapping of numbers in the file to color on the screen) the Aperture, Photoshop and the like all do this correctly but other software is not so well written and just blindly assums that the color space is "sRGB".

The best way to fix this is to convert the image to sRGB before you upload it. But be careful in "Adobe Speak" you want to "convert" not "assign" to the sRGB color space.

jplg842
May 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
Update:
I downloaded FFXporter to my iphoto. It worked perfectly with safari, the colors are perfect, but on firefox, and on a windows pc it was even worse than simple upload!

cookie1105
May 9, 2009, 06:53 AM
I remember this coming up for discussion a while ago. Here is a link that explains it quite well.

http://www.gballard.net/ (http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html)