PDA

View Full Version : Robotic bollards to take control on roads.

iGav
Apr 29, 2004, 04:56 AM
We are zeee Robooootttttttttsssssssssssss! :eek: :p imagine the chaos if someone hacks it! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3666989.stm

question fear
Apr 29, 2004, 09:48 AM
also, what would it do to your car if you hit it?

Now, if someone hits something like that, theres air, sand, or water inside. If there were a motor, and you ran it over....could you go boom?

Hemingray
Apr 29, 2004, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry, but I think that's a waste of time and resources! Great idea... for the future. But not now. I think we should be focusing our scientific efforts on more important robotic applications than placing construction cones!

I didn't see any statistics as to how many road workers are injured each year while trying to close off lanes, that would definitely help their cause. (Not to mention, to convince people that this is worth it.)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 29, 2004, 10:59 AM
hahaha, wow, if you could hack it, it would cause havoc during rush hour.

Imagine closing down a 4 lane highway to 1 :D

The only problem is that they're for construction and temporary. How much time does it save to have them automatically deploy and not just have one guy go out and place them....

D

question fear
Apr 29, 2004, 11:23 AM
oh man, imagine how many police stations are going to get calls from frightened residents who spotted cones walking along the highway???

iGav
Apr 29, 2004, 11:35 AM
Imagine closing down a 4 lane highway to 1 :D

or imagine opening up the 3 closed lanes.... heheheh

MongoTheGeek
Apr 29, 2004, 11:44 AM
I'm sorry, but I think that's a waste of time and resources! Great idea... for the future. But not now. I think we should be focusing our scientific efforts on more important robotic applications than placing construction cones!

I didn't see any statistics as to how many road workers are injured each year while trying to close off lanes, that would definitely help their cause. (Not to mention, to convince people that this is worth it.)

these things are typically hollow and mass about 10kg. Occasionally I have seen sandbags inside or hanging inside for another 10-15 kg.

The motor and batteries are probably not going to be much heavier. I doubt it will be very dangerous to hit.

Hemingray
Apr 29, 2004, 01:54 PM
these things are typically hollow and mass about 10kg. Occasionally I have seen sandbags inside or hanging inside for another 10-15 kg.

The motor and batteries are probably not going to be much heavier. I doubt it will be very dangerous to hit.

I take it you meant to quote "question fear", as that has absolutely nothing to do with my post. :p

MongoTheGeek
Apr 29, 2004, 03:07 PM
I take it you meant to quote "question fear", as that has absolutely nothing to do with my post. :p

yeah, um... right...

who says you can't do this in your sleep...

Skeeball236
Apr 29, 2004, 04:21 PM
del

Sparky's
Apr 29, 2004, 06:00 PM

Trying to find out is not easy! but I did find a good reference point for the US anyway

http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/2003/html/table_02_01.html

http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/2003/

Scroll down to Chapter 2 Section A. I know the stats are in here somewhere.

If the number of fatalities were to be reduced by one, it would pay back the cost.

mactastic
Apr 29, 2004, 09:16 PM
First though... What the heck is a bollard? And is it in any way related to bollocks?

Second thought.... What if an army of them stormed the capitol? :eek:

ffactory
Apr 30, 2004, 12:08 AM
"Daddy, when i grow up can i be an Ass Prof just like uncle Shane?" See the pull quote in the article... Wow, how unfortunate. But maybe that's the qualification for corraling a herd of stupid orange cones.

Awimoway
Apr 30, 2004, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry, but I think that's a waste of time and resources! Great idea... for the future. But not now. I think we should be focusing our scientific efforts on more important … applications than placing construction cones!

Yeah! Like… flying cars!

:D

michaelrjohnson
Apr 30, 2004, 09:44 AM
Why you would score 10 points on the in-dash game console, silly . :D

excellent... that's awesome

Mr. Anderson
Apr 30, 2004, 11:23 AM
http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/2003/html/table_02_07.html

this one seems more applicable - not all that many (compared to the overall stats) and no mention of who was moving barrels or doing something else...

D

Knox
Apr 30, 2004, 11:39 AM
Was it just me that immediately thought of the crossing-the-road scene in Toy Story 2 when they read this? :)

thecow
Apr 30, 2004, 03:53 PM
Was it just me that immediately thought of the crossing-the-road scene in Toy Story 2 when they read this? :) I thought of that too.

Thomas Veil
Apr 30, 2004, 08:12 PM
No, I thought of the Monty Python sketch about "gangs of vicious 'Keep Left' signs."

voicegy
May 1, 2004, 02:16 PM
We are zeee Robooootttttttttsssssssssssss! :eek: :p imagine the chaos if someone hacks it! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3666989.stm

Another Kraftwerk fan, I see. ;)

Funny, those things have always reminded me of the Daleks from Dr. Who - now that they have wheels and are remoted controlled, they remind me of them even more. Wonder how long it'll take for a worker to dress one up and take it for a spin. :D

rainman::|:|
May 2, 2004, 12:03 AM
it may not have a practical application just yet, but i think in the next 20 years or so we'll see a transition to a next-generation road system... roads that know what traffic is coming, where problems are, when accidents happen. These could be very helpful in that sort of system... About a month ago I was driving down the interstate, when I encountered suddenly a semi, broken down in the middle lane. I almost hit it, i mean i was going 75 (flow of traffic), it was chaos. If these kind of cones could automatically deploy around breakdowns/accidents/etc, i think it certainly has lifesaving applications. Maybe they could have cameras in the tops, so they could provide visuals of accident scenes, to more accurately manage EMS needs.

They're rebuilding the interstate system through my city right now, and they're installing cameras down the main corridors, aimed at providing realtime traffic information to people, to eventually have car-tracking (counting) software installed. It's a very interesting idea, although it has implications... they claim it's impossible to read license plates because of deliberately degraded visual signal, but can we trust that? I don't want computers tracking me by license plate whenever i go to target, or my friend's house.

paul

wdlove
May 2, 2004, 03:23 PM
We need to have more crash avoidance built into cars first, like on the airplanes. Something for public safety is worth studying.

AngryLawnGnome
May 3, 2004, 01:43 AM
Those would be good for herding sheep.

MongoTheGeek
May 3, 2004, 06:59 AM
Those would be good for herding sheep.I don't think they have the cross country capabilities.

Another issue with them is rain/high water. We had some serious rain yesterday and there were places on the road where the water was half a foot up.

Mr. Anderson
May 3, 2004, 07:12 AM
I don't think they have the cross country capabilities.

Another issue with them is rain/high water. We had some serious rain yesterday and there were places on the road where the water was half a foot up.

fried motors for sure, unless they actually planned for water and sealed the motors...which wouldn't surprise me.

side note: mongo, that tar is annoying...not as bad as the spinning scem0 head, but up there. Any chance of toning that down?

D