PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum PBG4 - Swapping Batteries?

RedMacMan
Apr 29, 2004, 07:50 AM
I travel often, and the battery life on my AlBook G4 is rather poor - usually barely 2 hours. I was wondering how easy it is to swap in/out an extra battery. Does anyone do this on a regular basis? Also, how do you charge the extra battery?

Here's hoping for fuel cells in the PBG5s... ;)

aricher
Apr 29, 2004, 09:24 AM
First off, did you correctly calibrate the battery when you purchased your PB? Calibrate = Fully charge, run down until warning message appears then recharge.

Swapping out the battery is easy - I always carry one in my backpack as I'm on the road often. Flip your laptop over - you'll see 2 slider thingies (the technical term escapes me) you slide those (exposing the color orange under the sliders. Once those move the battery pops up. That's it.

As far as recharging spare batteries no company as of yet has an external charger so you will have to charge it in your AL PB. For best battery life be sure to calibrate it. You only need to calibrate the battery once. You may also want to open energy saver and adjust your battery consumption settings.

I second your hope for fuel cells.

Koodauw
Apr 29, 2004, 11:02 AM
It may be different on the 15'', but on my 12'' PB there is a circle that you have to turn to get the battery to come out. The circle has a slot in it like a screw. I have to go get the screw drive whenever I take the battery out. Anyone find this to be annoying?

stoid
Apr 29, 2004, 11:06 AM
There is also a secondary battery inside the computer so that you won't have to **** down the computer, just put it to sleep for those few seconds as you switch. Save your work though, just to be sure!

aricher
Apr 29, 2004, 11:06 AM
Sorry - I should have been more clear - I have a PB 17" 1.33. I wasn't aware that the mechanism was different on other PBs. Stoid - thanks for adding the sleep portion of the procedure as well.

mikeyredk
Apr 29, 2004, 11:28 AM
will not work in 12" powerbooks nor any ibooks

MoparShaha
Apr 29, 2004, 01:17 PM
will not work in 12" powerbooks nor any ibooksYou mean they won't stay awake for those few seconds while swapping batteries?

mikeyredk
Apr 29, 2004, 01:38 PM
You mean they won't stay awake for those few seconds while swapping batteries?

these models don't have an internal battery