PDA

View Full Version : Quickoffice Brings Word and Excel Document Editing to the iPhone

MacRumors
May 8, 2009, 02:20 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/05/08/quickoffice-brings-word-and-excel-document-editing-to-the-iphone/)

Quickoffice (http://www.quickoffice.com/), maker of popular office software for mobile platforms, recently released Quickoffice Mobile Office Suite [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=310723177&mt=8), $19.99] for the iPhone and iPod touch. The suite offers three components, which are also available for individual purchase:

Quickword [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=313258628&mt=8), $12.99]: Allows users to edit and create Microsoft Word files, offering such features as cut, copy, and paste within or between documents, numerous font and style options, and automatic wrapping of text at any zoom level to eliminate horizontal scrolling.

Quicksheet [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300676818&mt=8), $12.99]: Allows users to edit and create Microsoft Excel files and includes extensive support for formulas, simple column and row height and width adjustment, and numerous formatting options.

Quickoffice Files [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304673686&mt=8), $1.99]: Offers remote access, e-mail, Wi-Fi and file management. The application provides easy access to MobileMe iDisk accounts and allows easy transfer of files between computer and iPhone via drag-and-drop.

Support for Microsoft PowerPoint files is not currently included in the suite.

Walt Mossberg recently reviewed (http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090506/quickoffice-brings-editing-to-iphones-but-put-it-on-hold/) the Quickoffice suite, and while he found much to like, a few missing features such as the inability to directly load files sent to the iPhone via e-mail, the lack of spell check, and the absence of cut, copy, and paste for spreadsheets led him to hold back on recommending the suite, particularly given the relatively steep price tag. Quickoffice has promised to remedy these shortcomings by this summer.

Mossberg also provided a video review of the suite:

Article Link: Quickoffice Brings Word and Excel Document Editing to the iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/05/08/quickoffice-brings-word-and-excel-document-editing-to-the-iphone/)

jmann
May 8, 2009, 02:32 PM
Wow this sounds like a great app. Being able to transfer the files via bluetooth in 3.0 will be nice too, if they update it with that feature. :) Let's hope.

Speedracer04
May 8, 2009, 02:45 PM
A major issue is not being able to import files emailed to you on your iphone into the app. Kinda kills the mobility of it.

Not to mension they company screwed over everyone who bought MobileFiles Pro, as they just created a "new" app suite with an update. :mad:

wackymacky
May 8, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hasn't this App been about for a few months now? I know about it as bought their MobileFiles App (now "Quick Files" or something) so I could access my iDisk from my iPhone.

I haven’t bought MobileOffice as it doesn’t support mac : office '08, and only lets you edit files of PC files to the 2003 ver.

I'm going to wait and see what up dates they put out (supposedly office 2007 soon, though they said the 1.0 App would do this. pre-release)

As much as I loath Microsoft if they bought out their own app and even sold it for 30-40 bucks that would let create, modify and e-mail offce Apps, I'd buy it.

kironin
May 8, 2009, 03:04 PM
But, for everyone else...Documents To Go for iPhone will be available in the App Store in early to mid May, 2009! Like we said in the announce list email, there are some exciting things about this app that we haven't been able to share yet (we like to tease) but we really believe you'll agree that its worth the wait.

if their blog post is true, I think we won't have to wait too long to see what the other choice is in this app category

Cartoonkid
May 8, 2009, 03:19 PM
As much as I loath Microsoft if they bought out their own app and even sold it for 30-40 bucks that would let create, modify and e-mail offce Apps, I'd buy it.

I'd be all over that like white on rice!

diemos
May 8, 2009, 04:41 PM
30 to 40? NO WAY

I'd pay 9.99 max for that kind of app.

JayLenochiniMac
May 8, 2009, 05:02 PM
Why is this news? Quickoffice has been out for a while.

I wonder if Dataviz's docs to go will have powerpoint editing. Even if Quickoffice developers come out with ppt editing, they'll likely put it in another app separate from Quickoffice and call it Quickoffice Pro for $29.99 (given what they did to MobileFiles Pro --> Quicksheet).

Total cost to suckers who upgrade to all the different versions: $59.97 ($9.99 for MobileFiles Pro, $19.99 for current Quickoffice, and $29.99 for future Quickoffice Pro with Word, Excel and Powerpoint editing capability).

CocoaPuffs
May 8, 2009, 05:56 PM
Why pay for this when you can simply use Google Docs?

kainjow
May 8, 2009, 06:17 PM
A major issue is not being able to import files emailed to you on your iphone into the app. Kinda kills the mobility of it.

As far as I know, that's not possible yet for third-party apps on the iPhone, so blame Apple ;)

Xibalba
May 8, 2009, 07:47 PM

agree - although as mentioned above, Apple is the rate-limiting-step in most "features" that we are waiting for. I will continue to use mobilefiles or airsharing at this time along with google docs.

it will be interesting to see what new office application style apps will be released after OS 3.0 finally is released to the consumers - thus what i believe is holding up the copy and paste feature in this app.

HailToTheVictor
May 8, 2009, 07:49 PM
30 to 40? NO WAY

I'd pay 9.99 max for that kind of app.

I wouldn't pay $9.99 for MS Word

sushi
May 8, 2009, 08:04 PM
Good to see apps like this coming to the iPhone/touch platform. :)

diesel
May 9, 2009, 12:05 AM

Any app recommendations for accessing google docs?

kironin
May 9, 2009, 12:33 AM

because you get what you pay for.

Google Docs sucks for anything other than casual use.

CocoaPuffs
May 9, 2009, 04:02 AM

Hah...funny you said that. Is there any other reason except "casual" use on iPhone?

wackymacky
May 9, 2009, 05:06 AM
Hah...funny you said that. Is there any other reason except "casual" use on iPhone?

Umm.

Being forwarded a document that needs review, being able to edit it and send it back?

klittle32
May 9, 2009, 07:51 AM
I'm surprised people really have a need to edit office documents on their iphone. I know some of you will jump all over me for saying this, but this really seems more like a cool app than a practical one. Personally, if I have files so important that I must edit them while out and about, i make time to sit down with my laptop and give them the time they deserve. Just my two cents.

SpitzerCR
May 9, 2009, 09:58 AM
klittle-goodpoint

BUT i would say at times people dont have a laptop with them or are not expecting to need one.

SOOO all in all I think this is AMAZING..

crackermac
May 9, 2009, 11:37 AM
While I use google docs for personal stuff, I would like an app where if someone sends me a file, I can open it, make some changes/proofread if needed, and send it back.

CocoaPuffs
May 9, 2009, 01:28 PM
While I use google docs for personal stuff, I would like an app where if someone sends me a file, I can open it, make some changes/proofread if needed, and send it back.
Google doc CAN do that... If it can't, what's the point of using it?

Bye Bye Baby
May 9, 2009, 01:49 PM
But it does not do it well.

SpitzerCR
May 9, 2009, 03:07 PM
so.. app sucks??

JayLenochiniMac
May 9, 2009, 04:10 PM
Suppose you're going on a trip and someone asks you to edit a document, it could mean the difference between having the burden of lugging around a laptop while on the trip or not. But you need MobileMe or perhaps readdledocs in order to get the file as you can't load directly from mail.

rburly
May 9, 2009, 09:00 PM
Why isn't this a part of the QuickOffice suite I paid $20 for? :mad:

JayLenochiniMac
May 9, 2009, 09:38 PM
Why isn't this a part of the QuickOffice suite I paid $20 for? :mad:

It is part of it. Look again and update your app if necessary.

Habakuk
May 11, 2009, 03:54 AM

Google Docs' additional benefits:

No installation at all, constant app maintenance by Google. You even won't recognize normally updates, just Google telling you "this is new" or "that is better".

Best data security possible. Live online sync wireless! "Platform-free" ;) 40 (forty) languages. And, yes, CocoaPuffs said it already: It's free.

Disadvantages:

Privacy concerns. But it's the same with Microsoft/OpenOffice. Don't use those products for delicate and sensible data.

Any app recommendations for accessing google docs?

Safari? IE?

I did not want to hear this sentence even before commercial crisis. Who has money to waste these days? Imagine there are people who don't need a fully or over-fully featured app everytime and for everything.

I am personally not so deep in office apps but there are people telling me that Google text & spreadsheets is working fine so far. There are some glitches but they are getting better rapidely. With additional apps you can even print documents from iPhone and do all that fancy stuff what they need in offices :)

Ack. For the time being. But they are getting better and somedays in the near future we will accomplish the major part of office stuff on the mobile.

I am using Google Calendar wireless live-synced with MacOS Calendar, iPhone Calendar app and some WinXP Calendars with access rights for different people and offices in the cloud. Working fine, reliable and very handy. Very mobile. Google Calendar even sends you text messages (reminders) for free (even here in Europe). For me personally that is the future technique, the only thing I need is a portable BT keyboard for really quick typing.

Here my blog entries -- sorry they are German but there are some screenshots in it and I've linked Google translation there:

http://rossau.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/google-sync/

Google Spreadsheets on the iPhone
http://rossau.wordpress.com/2009/02/14/google-ermoeglicht-bearbeiten-von-tabellen-am-iphone/

bytethese
May 11, 2009, 07:59 AM

Kinda tough to do unless you have a cell/wifi signal. What if I was on a plane or in a subway and wanted to quickly access some docs and make changes? While this suite is a touch too expensive for my tastes, a cheaper one may garner some interest from me. :)

pab1953
May 11, 2009, 07:20 PM
You can edit Google docs (word processing files) on the iPhone? That's news to me. Google Help says you can't. And I've never been able to -- and would love to.

iPegboy
May 12, 2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah Google Docs is great, but unless you know a big secret trick that I don't, there's no way to create or edit a .doc file on your iPhone through Google Docs.

bilboa
May 12, 2009, 04:55 PM

For one thing, you need an internet connection in order to use google docs. What if I want to edit a document while I'm on a plane for example? I know some airlines now provide wifi, but only a few do and it's usually very expensive. Or maybe I'm travelling overseas and don't want to pay exorbitant roaming fees just to edit my journal. There are plenty of reasons to prefer a native word processing app over a webapp.

bilboa
May 12, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm surprised people really have a need to edit office documents on their iphone. I know some of you will jump all over me for saying this, but this really seems more like a cool app than a practical one. Personally, if I have files so important that I must edit them while out and about, i make time to sit down with my laptop and give them the time they deserve. Just my two cents.

That may be true right now, especially since there are still no external keyboards available for the iPhone. However in principle it's very useful and practical to have a word processor in a PDA. I've travelled all over SE Asia and Europe for months at a time with my Palm TX plus an external folding keyboard, and typed in my journal every day using Documents To Go's word processor. The keyboard folds up to a size not much bigger than the Palm itself. The Palm/keyboard combo is much more compact than a laptop, which is important when you're carrying all your stuff in a backpack.

I'm hoping that with iPhone 3.0's better bluetooth support, an external keyboard will be possible for the iPhone, at which time I will certainly buy that plus a word processor.

Habakuk
May 13, 2009, 12:17 AM
Kinda tough to do unless you have a cell/wifi signal. What if I was on a plane or in a subway and wanted to quickly access some docs and make changes?

For one thing, you need an internet connection in order to use google docs. What if I want to edit a document while I'm on a plane for example?

It seems that you need a notebook for the time being. Here is a Google Docs Help text:

Uploading, Exporting, and Using Docs Offline (http://docs.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=15148)

I know some airlines now provide wifi, but only a few do and it's usually very expensive. Or maybe I'm travelling overseas and don't want to pay exorbitant roaming fees just to edit my journal. There are plenty of reasons to prefer a native word processing app over a webapp.

Yes. But most of the time I am not in plane or outside Europe. And I am sure when one airline starts to offer WiFi for free the others will do the same soon. It's just a matter of weeks or months.

bilboa
May 13, 2009, 10:25 AM
I know some airlines now provide wifi, but only a few do and it's usually very expensive. Or maybe I'm travelling overseas and don't want to pay exorbitant roaming fees just to edit my journal. There are plenty of reasons to prefer a native word processing app over a webapp.

Yes. But most of the time I am not in plane or outside Europe. And I am sure when one airline starts to offer WiFi for free the others will do the same soon. It's just a matter of weeks or months.

This thread isn't about just you though. The post I was responding to was expressing incredulity at the notion that anyone could want a word processor on their iPhone, so my response was intended to show some reasons why it is useful for some people. The fact that you aren't one of those people in no way invalidates my point. If you're always near a computer when you want to do some word processing, or you don't mind carrying a laptop everywhere with you, or you can do whatever you need to do through the iPhone's web browser and always have a cellular or wifi connection, then you have no need for this app.

shigzeo
May 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
With internet problems up the wazoo, it has been troublesome, but here is our review (http://www.touchmyapps.com/2009/05/19/quickoffice-mobile-office-suite-in-review/).