Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maldoror

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
so i read the guide, but i'm still not sure what to do, especially in light of the new windows release.

i just got a macbook pro 2.8, 4gb. i'm not really a gamer but i want to try out some newer games to see what my new machine can do. should i go for bootcamp and parallels..and should i try out the win 7 ?

thanks,
andrew

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
so i read the guide, but i'm still not sure what to do, especially in light of the new windows release.

i just got a macbook pro 2.8, 4gb. i'm not really a gamer but i want to try out some newer games to see what my new machine can do. should i go for bootcamp and parallels..and should i try out the win 7 ?

thanks,
andrew

Bootcamp and Parallels are totally different.

Parallels is a "virtual machine." That means you click an icon on the dock and you've got Windows. The virtual machine is not as good as the real deal and it uses more resources.

Bootcamp however, is the real deal. You partition your HDD and install Windows. It is just like having an actual PC.

I'd go for Bootcamp. The instructions are here.

BTW, W7 isn't available for download anymore.

maldoror

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
i understand they're different. i was wondering if it would be good to use them in tandem? and what would be the advantages of that?

also, i'm going to try this game Mirror's edge and maybe call of duty. i was wondering how they would work on parallels with my system specs? do i just need to get bootcamp for that?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
i understand they're different. i was wondering if it would be good to use them in tandem? and what would be the advantages of that?

also, i'm going to try this game Mirror's edge and maybe call of duty. i was wondering how they would work on parallels with my system specs? do i just need to get bootcamp for that?

Using them together is just a waste of disk space.

Bootcamp is the best option here. Parallels will divert a bunch of resources away from your game. Bootcamp won't. Plus, Bootcamp is free, and ready for use, where Parallels is ~$80 I think.

maldoror

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
should i try windows 7 or just one of the old ones? from all the threads it seems like 7 may require a learning curve? and should i go for 32 or 64? which will be best for games? sorry i'm ignorant.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If you are going to be using Windows for games, then go with XP, it will give you the best performance.

maldoror

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
i just want to experience some games on the new mac, but probably won't play much after a week or so...then i'll want windows for applications. is 7 buggy for games?

and what about 32 or 64? what are the differences?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
i just want to experience some games on the new mac, but probably won't play much after a week or so...then i'll want windows for applications. is 7 buggy for games?

and what about 32 or 64? what are the differences?

Go x64. And you can't get 7 anymore.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Windows 7 works fine on a Mac. I installed it on my white Macbook earlier this week.

No guarantee that it won't crap out during gameplay, but if you want a free way to test out Boot Camp for a year then W7 is a good option.

Don't forget that just because you are on a Mac it doesn't mean you are safe. It's running Windows natively so it's still as vulnerable to viruses and spyware as any PC.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Tried Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit), for the sole purposes of gaming, had issues with the sound cutting out completely so have ended up putting XP on. Win 7 is great and I'm looking forward to the full release, but the RC just isn't quite right for gaming on a MBP yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.