PDA

View Full Version : Apple store LONDON!

Danrose1977
Apr 29, 2004, 09:24 AM
Has anybody else (UK) noticed that Apple are recruiting to open an Apple store in London? The blurb says Autumn 2004.... http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/jobs/

At Last!!!!

robbieduncan
Apr 29, 2004, 09:39 AM
Erm... this has been known for quite some time. Do a search for Apple Store Regent Street!

Danrose1977
Apr 29, 2004, 09:41 AM
Erm... this has been known for quite some time. Do a search for Apple Store Regent Street!

Ok.... I was just so excited when I found out :)

CrackedButter
Apr 29, 2004, 11:09 AM
Meet you on opening day DanRose. ;) I'll be at the front of the queue if you need me. :D

Jeewhizz
Apr 29, 2004, 02:38 PM
its not far from me either - i'll be there opening day :)

Jee

asif3
Apr 29, 2004, 03:25 PM
Meet you on opening day DanRose. ;) I'll be at the front of the queue if you need me. :D

Not If I can help it :P - hehe, bet that wiped the smug look off your face :cool:

Mord
Apr 29, 2004, 04:03 PM
i'll be the one standing next to a cuban pimp and two stoners wearing a darthvader costume holding a replica lightsaber battleing another person dressed as luke muhahahahahahahaha

(as everyone slowly moves away :o)

Coolvirus007
Apr 29, 2004, 08:29 PM
agh! Just when i move from london to tokyo.My only mac source was MicroAnvika on Tottenham (where i bough my dual quicksilver 02' and 22"). But the weirdest thing is, I though I saw an Apple store ages ago once around but when I went to see, it was turned into a Nokia shop.

Abstract
Apr 30, 2004, 12:46 AM
Its weird, because there are 2 Micro Anvika stores at Tottenham Ct Rd and Oxford St, and they both sell Macs. Actually, one of the stores only sells Mac's. Well, its not weird that Micro would sell Apple, but its strange that such a concentration of Mac resellers would be in one place while they're much harder to find anywhere else.

Congratulations. I knew about this news but I didn't know it was going to be on Regent Street. :) Maybe I'll fly to London, visit friends, and go to opening day, and sneak in front of CrackedButter in the queue. ;)

Now if only they'd put an Apple store in Toronto/Canada, already!!! Rumours are rumours. I want to see a job posting.

Mustafa
Apr 30, 2004, 05:32 AM
Its weird, because there are 2 Micro Anvika stores at Tottenham Ct Rd and Oxford St, and they both sell Macs. Actually, one of the stores only sells Mac's. Well, its not weird that Micro would sell Apple, but its strange that such a concentration of Mac resellers would be in one place while they're much harder to find anywhere else.

Actually there are two Micro Anvikas in Tottenham Court Road, both of which are Apple resellers -- but not exclusively. The Apple-only store you're thinking of is probably Square in New Oxford Street, an Apple Centre.

There are several other places to buy Apple products within a mile or so, including the John Lewis store in Oxford Street. The new Apple Store in Regent Street (opposite Liberty) has already ruffled a few feathers.

CrackedButter
Apr 30, 2004, 05:33 AM
I'll be a week early, who's smug now!

I hope they offer out those girft bags like they did in Tokyo.

SimDesign
Apr 30, 2004, 06:45 AM
There is a Mac only Micro Anvika. It's just off Tottenham Court Road, Chenies Street I think, it's smaller than the others but has a higher concentration of Apple gear.
Wonder what they think about the new store opening.
Probably not a lot.

crap freakboy
Apr 30, 2004, 07:26 AM
There is a Mac only Micro Anvika. It's just off Tottenham Court Road, Chenies Street I think, it's smaller than the others but has a higher concentration of Apple gear.
Wonder what they think about the new store opening.
Probably not a lot.

Good...they tend to overprice their mac stuff anyway.
It's going to be great having a genius bar as well.
Personally though I prefer getting any major mac hardware purchases from John Lewis due to the fact they give you an extra years guarantee on top of Apples standard 1 year.

Jeewhizz
Apr 30, 2004, 06:34 PM
there are about 4 Micro anvika's on TCR IIRC - there is gonna be some competition, which is great, as MA is too over priced....

32 quid for a tucano skin - or 19 from apple.... no brainer :D

Abstract
Apr 30, 2004, 08:45 PM
Actually there are two Micro Anvikas in Tottenham Court Road, both of which are Apple resellers -- but not exclusively. The Apple-only store you're thinking of is probably Square in New Oxford Street, an Apple Centre.

There are several other places to buy Apple products within a mile or so, including the John Lewis store in Oxford Street. The new Apple Store in Regent Street (opposite Liberty) has already ruffled a few feathers.

I think the Apple-only store is at New Oxford St and Gower St or something. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that its a Micro Anvika store. The other store I'm thinking of is definitely a Micro Anvika at Tottenham Ct Road and Oxford St, beside the EasyInternet and Virgin Megastore. I had to look at a London map to find the streets I meant to say in the first place. Thought it was at Gower and Holborn, which obviously isn't true. I only lived in London for 10 months, and haven't lived there for a few years (although I just visited)...

Its good to know that John Lewis sells Mac stuff. I really had no idea. Apple Hardware is always going to be a somewhat fixed price, but saving on other things is always nice.

Anyway, why is an Apple Store opening up on Regent St "ruffling some feathers"? Is it MA and John Lewis that are unhappy? Surely the plum pudding of Regent Street would be happy that a computer retailer can actually open a store in the area and maintain the swanky-ness of the area. That's hard for any electronics company to do.

asif3
May 1, 2004, 03:21 PM
I think the Apple-only store is at New Oxford St and Gower St or something. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that its a Micro Anvika store. The other store I'm thinking of is definitely a Micro Anvika at Tottenham Ct Road and Oxford St, beside the EasyInternet and Virgin Megastore. I had to look at a London map to find the streets I meant to say in the first place. Thought it was at Gower and Holborn, which obviously isn't true. I only lived in London for 10 months, and haven't lived there for a few years (although I just visited)...

Its good to know that John Lewis sells Mac stuff. I really had no idea. Apple Hardware is always going to be a somewhat fixed price, but saving on other things is always nice.

Anyway, why is an Apple Store opening up on Regent St "ruffling some feathers"? Is it MA and John Lewis that are unhappy? Surely the plum pudding of Regent Street would be happy that a computer retailer can actually open a store in the area and maintain the swanky-ness of the area. That's hard for any electronics company to do.

To be honest, I dont think John Lewis will be too bothered, not becuase they dont care about Macs, but because they are in a completely different market. John Lewis are the best in terms of department stores, and so people who previously bought from there will probably still do so, but may go to the Apple store to buy accessories or to test-drive new equipment.

I've found Anvika workers to be rude and arrogant, amongst many other things. They seem to treat people like they are coming just to look, and so they dont treat us properly. The day I dont have to shop there any more will be heaven :)

asif3
May 1, 2004, 03:25 PM

I agree. I'm a bit surprised that Apple didnt open on Oxford Street though, becuase they would have been able to knock the whole building down and start again.

Mind you, even the stores in America are located near places like Tiffany's etc arent they? As mac users we should be happy that we can be classed in a slightly higher category than standard PC users :)

Mustafa
May 1, 2004, 04:10 PM
I agree. I'm a bit surprised that Apple didnt open on Oxford Street though, becuase they would have been able to knock the whole building down and start again.

Mind you, even the stores in America are located near places like Tiffany's etc arent they? As mac users we should be happy that we can be classed in a slightly higher category than standard PC users :)

....is the wrong demographic for Apple. It's too downmarket and is full of rubber-neckers, students, pickpockets and, dare I say it, misinformed tourists who think it's the smart place to shop. Regent Street is a much better fit with Apple"s upper-quartile pretensions, although from what I've seen so far, the building looks to be having a major remodelling. I don't know what the normal Regent Street denizens will think if it ends up looking ultra-modern, like the Tokyo store. It will certainly be a major contrast to the Liberty building.

The 'ruffled feathers' I referred to above belong to the sales director of the Square Apple Centre, who complained there had been no consultation by Apple. I think he has a point, although my own experience of his store has not been 100% positive. They may know about Apple products, but their retailing skills are inadequate.

Micro Anvika, of course, is a typical Tottenham Court Road operation. High pressure, aggressive, sales-driven -- but as long as you know what to expect, you can end up with a decent deal. You can generally haggle over prices in TCR, but not on Apple products, in my experience. Just don't expect to be cuddled as a valued customer.

MacsRgr8
May 3, 2004, 03:19 PM
I'm coming over from across the very small pond to be there! Even catch a match at Highbury, too! :)
I love London...

BTW, anybody know how close its gonna be to Piccadilly Circus? Wouldn't it be gr8 if thet put a H-U-G-E Apple logo on top of the famous billboard?

I'll be there there before you lot! I'll be wearing an Apple shirt.... so you can recognize me :p :p

Mustafa
May 3, 2004, 03:42 PM
BTW, anybody know how close its gonna be to Piccadilly Circus? Wouldn't it be gr8 if thet put a H-U-G-E Apple logo on top of the famous billboard?

It's at the other end of Regent Street, about 50 yards before the junction with Oxford Street, and out of sight of Piccadilly Circus. Opposite Liberty (as I've said about three times now!).

asif3
May 3, 2004, 03:57 PM
I dont know what Apple is gonna do, promotion wise, but I imagine they are gonna do something big. I'm thinking oxford street station is gonna be a *big* advertising target.

Mustafa
May 3, 2004, 04:02 PM
I dont know what Apple is gonna do, promotion wise, but I imagine they are gonna do something big. I'm thinking oxford street station is gonna be a *big* advertising target.

I think you'll find they'll run a bigger campaign than a few posters up the escalators of a tube station.

asif3
May 4, 2004, 01:24 AM
I think you'll find they'll run a bigger campaign than a few posters up the escalators of a tube station.

Well, Ron Johnson has previously stated that Apple have no intention, whatsoever, to advertise the openings of stores. Advertising too much is probably going to be frowned upon by apple's senior management, especially when they are stumping up 1.5mil for the rent...

MacsRgr8
May 4, 2004, 01:46 AM
It's at the other end of Regent Street, about 50 yards before the junction with Oxford Street, and out of sight of Piccadilly Circus. Opposite Liberty (as I've said about three times now!).

Ah... tnx!

Mustafa
May 4, 2004, 03:08 AM
Well, Ron Johnson has previously stated that Apple have no intention, whatsoever, to advertise the openings of stores. Advertising too much is probably going to be frowned upon by apple's senior management, especially when they are stumping up 1.5mil for the rent...

If I were spending 1.5m a year on rent for a store, I'd want to make damn sure my target market knew it was there.

Expect to see some major London-based advertising backed up by some highly visible PR activities.