Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I know this sounds like some weird OSX problem but I've only seen it on my MBA on not on any of my other Macs.

My MBA keeps "forgetting" passwords I've saved in my key chain, for example and most annoyingly, for my email account.

I did the stripped down install from the top of this forum.

Anyone any ideas of what the problem might be? Anything I should check?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
It's not a MacBook Air problem. I have no issues with my keychain passwords. You can either clear out your expired keychains which are most likely confusing the OS or you can reinstall Mac OS X.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I actually had a similar issue with Wifi access point passwords and my MBA. I am really unsure what "fixed" it.

A few updates to OS X came along, I cleared the keychain and did a repair permissions a few times. Think along the way I have reinstalled OS X (girlfriend had an accident and wiped mostly everything!!) and it seems to have cleared itself up.

Maybe resetting the PRAM could help. I know that OS X doesn't store network info in there but I had a situation a few weeks back with the MBA shutting itself off when going into sleep and the PRAM would go funny asking or the time and date again as well as the password for the airport wireless network its on most. A permissions repair seems to have solved that one so far though I think!!

Not sure if thats much help, hope you get it sorted!!

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Make sure the password on the login keychain is the same as your account password. All manner of unhappiness can ensue if they are different. One thing I find useful is to add the key chain status to the menu bar (also gives you another quick way to lock your screen (I have screen saver lock and have a hot corner set up for that as well).

It's also probably worth doing a repair permissions under the disk utility.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.