Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sillyup10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Hello,

My internet connection keeps on disconnecting on my aluminum MacBook. It randomly disconnects, then it does not find any networks at all. I shut down my computer for about 20 minutes, then turn it back on and it finds all the networks once again.
What can I do to fix my computer? Should I visit the genius bar?

Thanks in advance.
(PS I am running Leopard 10.5.6)

mbleopard

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Do you have access to the wireless router? You can download iStumbler and use it to look at all the wireless networks in your area and you can see what channel they are on. If your wireless router is on the same channel as another wireless router you will have to log into the router and change the channel so there isnt interference.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
What standard and frequency do you use? (EX: 802.11a/b/g/n, 2.4GHz/5Ghz Do you have a microwave and/or cordless phones? Do you have any other comparable source? How far away is the router from the computer?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
the suggested sources of interference are definitely worth looking into, but it should be noted that if you do a search here or on apple discussion boards there are a lot of people complaining of similar issues. if you are in windows, it is not a problem, if you revert to tiger, it is not a problem. it is a niggling software problem that apple seems unable to tie down and doesn't seem to affect everyone.

in case you were wondering i own neither a cordless phone nor a microwave and there are no other wireless signals in my area and the router is never more than a room away.

some are praying 10.5.7 will fix your issue, but i'm not hopeful,.i think snow leopard *may* do something to address it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.