Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zuffen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2001
I just spent the last 15 minutes pouring over the specs.

The software looks great, a medium step up, seems to me the real time is limited still to a select group of effects.

Still it will be a time saver. Since I'm still on G3, there is no advantage in upgrading.

I didn't quite understand the big deal about Offline RT. You can capture in 1.2.5 and 2.0 at that lower setting to help save storage and later recapture according to your EDL.

I was hoping for full real time across the board.

I like the narrative track record, it didn't tell me if that was unlimited tracks wise as that can turn FCP into a light duty music editing software.

I was thinking Apple would annouce FCP 3.0 at MWSF and bundle it with the "G5" but the evidence isn't indicating anything special on the "new hardware" except a speed bump.

Of course the marketing is better for FCP at DVexpo. I imagine this update will help sell quite a few more top-line G4 systems, maybe Apple is clearing stock for the next speed bump and will announce something nice.

In the recent DV magazine, they listed the G4800DP as the slowest machine among 6 dual processor workstations. Of course the hardware on the wintel machines outclassed the base line G4.
IDE vs SCSI and pc 133 ram versus DDRram and rambus. If you scaled the PCs down to apple spec ont he auxillary hardware the G4 could have been on the top of the list.

I'm wondering what you FCP users out there have to say.

Bob

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
I am really excited by this upgrade! Even if not all functions are real time. The ones that are, are definately going to speed up the workflow dramatically. The new quickview window is going to be a big bonus.

I won't use offline very ofen. But I can see it being benifical to some.
Many people working on the same overal project and utilizing the same footage. can leave the 'master' files one one computer and doind their edits on a variety of other machines and from a variety of other locations...then come together when done for the high quality final project.

What I don't get is that Apple hardware got rid of the mike input on the new G4's and Final cut just added voice over capabilities...aren't these people in the same company?
Does anyone know how to get Audio in through USB? I have 3 machines without MIC inputs now?

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
The offline part of FCP3 is based on a new codec which wasn't available for low res edit in FCP2. The offline is of a much better quality and will make it possible for those of us who have to work outside of the studio to do some really footage intensive jobs without external drives.
The color correction and timecode features haven't been getting the hype, but I think that they are as important if not more so for some of us.

zuffen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2001
USB mic or use a media converter and bring the audio in that way. That is assuming you can configure for that source.

I don't know what they are thinking by not including an audio in jack.

Must be some new idea that very few people actually use a free mic nowadays. Most webcams come with a mic. I know the voice command stuff seemed to flop.

What I was wanting was true mixdown tool which lets you combine several audio tracks onto one track.

Bob

zuffen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2001
upgrade

One other thing on the upgrade price. Too much a jump. should have an upgrade for those of us who bought 2.0. Maybe half the price of the upgrade (not 299) or as free download.

But like I said I won't be buying 3.0 until I get a G4 or G5 or whatever Mr. J talks me into buying.

The question is do I buy a dual 800 or wait and see what happens at MWSF.

I think I can wait, either way the price on DP800 is going down.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
FCP3 isn't supposed to ship until the later part of this month, so you're only waiting three weeks then for the full package.
I dont think the upgrade price is too much at all, if it were just an OSX reskin, then yeah that would be too much, but this version has so many new features that the upgrade price can be considered a tip to the R&D guys for adding the new tools.

zuffen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2001
A friend ordered it last night and he expects it friday.

I want to buy it, but I'm fighting the feeling as hard as I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.