PDA

View Full Version : Transferring files from new Mac to old Mac

jamdr
Apr 29, 2004, 02:58 PM
I have thought long and hard about this problem and can't seem to come up with a solution. I have several gigs of files on my eMac 1Ghz and I need to transfer them to my PowerMac 7300 (no USB or FireWire). How can I do this without having to burning everything onto CDs (which takes forever)? I thought about getting a cheap hard drive (like an iPod maybe :D ), but how I could I connect it to my PowerMac? Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

wordmunger
Apr 29, 2004, 03:00 PM
Get a crossover ethernet cable and transfer via appletalk. That's how I got the files from my iBook (USB only) to my TiBook.

MacDawg
Apr 29, 2004, 03:27 PM
Is the OS the same version on both machines? (or close) In other words, will they be able to talk to each other through the ethernet/appletalk solution? I tried that with OSX and System 8 and was unable to get them to talk. Of course I probably didn't know what I was doing ;) I'm sure someone else would be able to walk you through that process.

jamdr
Apr 29, 2004, 05:23 PM
Is the OS the same version on both machines? (or close) In other words, will they be able to talk to each other through the ethernet/appletalk solution? I tried that with OSX and System 8 and was unable to get them to talk. Of course I probably didn't know what I was doing ;) I'm sure someone else would be able to walk you through that process.

I too am running OS 8 (8.6) on one and OS X (10.3) on the other. But I will give the ethernet solution a try. Could someone please tell me what type of cable I would need for that and possibly where I could get it. Can I use just a standard ethernet cable, or do I need something special (sorry, I have no knowledge of networking at all).

Skeeball236
Apr 29, 2004, 05:39 PM
del

Sparky's
Apr 29, 2004, 06:49 PM
I was able to drop files from my Umax Clone running OS 8.1 via "Apple Talk" to my G3 running Panther. All I could do was see the "Drop Box" and couldn't open it but it was all I needed to get files from one to the other, on a small ethernet LAN. A cross-over cable for ethernet to connect directly would probably get the same results.