Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imPoddible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hello all,

I have an app in the store and have started work on a lite version.

I'm using the same codebase and only need to make minor changes to turn the full version into a lite version.

I've changed the bundle identifier and the target name, but when I deploy the debug build to my iPhone, it overwrites the full version! I was expecting to see both versions side by side.

It's almost as if it's being treated as the same app and not a different version.

What else do I have to change in the project to fully differentiate my lite version from the full version?

Thanks!

imPoddible

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Probably need to change the Product Name as well. Get Info your target and click on the Build tab. The target's name is just used internally for Xcode. Product Name affects the actual .app.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I always do things the long way (but the sure way) and create a whole new project, copy and paste the files, then change them to lite.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I always do things the long way (but the sure way) and create a whole new project, copy and paste the files, then change them to lite.

That's overkill. Just duplicate the target within Xcode and change a few things. If you need to remove things from the lite version, setup preprocessor macros (can be done in Xcode directly) and remove any necessary files from the lite's target.

imPoddible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
That's overkill. Just duplicate the target within Xcode and change a few things. If you need to remove things from the lite version, setup preprocessor macros (can be done in Xcode directly) and remove any necessary files from the lite's target.

Cool - thanks for the advice. I'll try this now.

I was thinking that I'd have to set up new certificates or something in the Program Portal... :rolleyes:

imPoddible.

imPoddible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Dang!

I still get the same problem - I've changed the bundle ID and target, I've changed the Product Name, too via 'info' on the build tab and duplicated the target.

I've also cleaned targets but when I build and go, it overwrites the other app.

So I cannot have my full version and the lite version on the iPhone at the same time. Very frustrating.

Any other suggestions?

In reality, I wouldn't *expect* the user to have both versions on his device... but it's a bad idea to submit like this, isn't it?

imPoddible

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Looking at my previous project where I did this, I also had a different Bundle Name for both versions, which you set in the Info.plist file (which you should have two of), so you could try that.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Any other suggestions?

In reality, I wouldn't *expect* the user to have both versions on his device... but it's a bad idea to submit like this, isn't it?

I ran into the same problem while testing the lite version of my app.

Try creating a new provisioning profile. This was how I got around it as I was then able to specify a new bundle identifier (com.blah.blah).

I don't know if this is the 'proper' way to resolve this prob but it has certainly worked for me.

Cheers,

RTP.

imPoddible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Try creating a new provisioning profile. This was how I got around it as I was then able to specify a new bundle identifier (com.blah.blah).

Yesssss!!!! This worked for me. I am now able to build and deploy both Lite and full versions of my app to the iPhone independently :D

Thanks for all advice and suggestions!

imPoddible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.