PDA

View Full Version : Should my Mac Pro do this?

neiltc13
May 10, 2009, 12:55 PM
I just got my new Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz, and every time I turn it on the fans blow on maximum speed for a few seconds and then go back to their normal pace. Is this normal?

Also, when I turn the computer on I am always greeted by the boot up chime from my tower, even if I muted the sound before I turned it off the last time. Is there any way to turn this off?

r.j.s
May 10, 2009, 01:00 PM
As far as I know, the fan ramp up is normal ... part of the computer's self-test.

The chime, I'm not sure about.

kornyboy
May 10, 2009, 01:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Both items are normal. To elaborate on the chime, it will always come out of the speaker in the tower even if you have external speakers connected.

Concorde Rules
May 10, 2009, 01:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Both items are normal. To elaborate on the chime, it will always come out of the speaker in the tower even if you have external speakers connected.

^^ This.

The 4870 fan in mine makes the most noise

Tesselator
May 10, 2009, 02:20 PM
Also, when I turn the computer on I am always greeted by the boot up chime from my tower, even if I muted the sound before I turned it off the last time. Is there any way to turn this off?

You no likey dem startup bongs?

I think the only way to stop the bong besides modding firmware is to disconnect the internal speaker.

Hmm, well that's what I thought.. till I searched: http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/StartupSound/BETA/index.en.html

jjahshik32
May 10, 2009, 02:34 PM
Yes, thats normal.

hatehereyes
May 10, 2009, 03:08 PM
You no likey dem startup bongs?

I think the only way to stop the bong besides modding firmware is to disconnect the internal speaker.

Hmm, well that's what I thought.. till I searched: http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/StartupSound/BETA/index.en.html

An easier way is to just unplug the external speakers and then change the volume of the internal speakers to whatever you want and then plug the external speakers back in.

milk242
May 10, 2009, 03:51 PM
An easier way is to just unplug the external speakers and then change the volume of the internal speakers to whatever you want and then plug the external speakers back in.

I'm pretty sure you can just go in sys pref and change the volume of the internal speaker instead of unplugging your external speakers to change the internals' volume

Weepul
May 10, 2009, 03:58 PM
Yes, when I was setting up my Mac Pro I muted the sound (which was for the internal speaker); now everything is set up, and I have volume through external speakers and no chime. :)

GoCubsGo
May 10, 2009, 04:18 PM
I just got my new Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz, and every time I turn it on the fans blow on maximum speed for a few seconds and then go back to their normal pace. Is this normal?

Both are normal. Full speed fans all of the time is not and most likely would result in a new machine. I know this as it happened to me and after I got my new machine I started digging. The results were that the machines that had this defect were typically replaced.

A chime will happen, speakers or no speakers ... at least on the MP.

Tesselator
May 10, 2009, 04:43 PM
Not unusually getting mixed messages here. :D

It can, it can't. LOL

I dunno... I know who Weepul is. I can trust whatever he says usually. So I guess we don't even need this prefs thingy. :)

UltraNEO*
May 10, 2009, 05:16 PM
i think the start up bong is great! informs you right away if the system is about to crash/has crashed.. just think, last thing you wanna do is wait for the system to load when it's crashed!
doesn't do it often, that's one relief

trainguy77
May 10, 2009, 05:20 PM
The fans spin up until the EFI initializes. Its for safety so it doesn't over heat. Nothing to worry about.

Roy
May 10, 2009, 07:39 PM

From what I had been reading on the forums, I was expecting a much louder noise from the fans, but the fans are on high for a short time, and the noise is not bad at all. An the chime from the tower is minimal. I was expecting much worse.

((BTW: I'm looking for the "cricket" in the speakers thread. I've got the cricket in my new Apple 24 in. LED monitor speaker. Even in a different room and all new equipment. I guess it's a good thing I'm a nature lover. :))