PDA

View Full Version : 12" PB Overheating?

Elbeano
Apr 29, 2004, 08:46 PM
My powerbook (brand new combo drive just picked up last saturday) is having a few issues. Not too long ago the expose corner I set to view all of the different windows stopped working. I have the desktop set for 5 second random rotation of the abstract folder. When I finally closed out of everything and worked back down the desktop it had the middle of the screen frozen in the rotation with the next desktop picture surrounding it. Sorry if that doesn't paint an adequate picture. I tried restarting it, but it didn't shut down, so I had to hold the power button. I started it back up, and after about 2 minutes the same thing happened. Does this sound like an overheating problem, or something else? I mean, my powerbook is a little on the warm side, but no where near what I've heard of previous revisions, and the fan wasn't even kicking in yet. Combine this with my intermittently functional latch, and I'm not stupendously pleased with my first mac thus far. Please tell me I'm missing something simple.

gekko513
Apr 29, 2004, 09:04 PM
I have the desktop set for 5 second random rotation of the abstract folder.
You what?? :confused:

ingenious
Apr 29, 2004, 09:12 PM
My powerbook (brand new combo drive just picked up last saturday) is having a few issues. Not too long ago the expose corner I set to view all of the different windows stopped working. I have the desktop set for 5 second random rotation of the abstract folder. When I finally closed out of everything and worked back down the desktop it had the middle of the screen frozen in the rotation with the next desktop picture surrounding it. Sorry if that doesn't paint an adequate picture. I tried restarting it, but it didn't shut down, so I had to hold the power button. I started it back up, and after about 2 minutes the same thing happened. Does this sound like an overheating problem, or something else? I mean, my powerbook is a little on the warm side, but no where near what I've heard of previous revisions, and the fan wasn't even kicking in yet. Combine this with my intermittently functional latch, and I'm not stupendously pleased with my first mac thus far. Please tell me I'm missing something simple.

this is happening to my Rev. A 12" PB too.... what is going on? the dock, expose, cmd+tab, and desktop changing pics freeze and the system will sometimes beachball.... the only way to switch programs then is if the window is open... the only "cure" i have found is restarting, but then it comes back... HELP please!!!

parrothead
Apr 29, 2004, 09:13 PM
sounds like you should call apple support. a new computer like that should not be having those problems.

Elbeano
Apr 29, 2004, 09:16 PM
The 5 second rotation thing is something you can set for the desktop using any folder of pictures you want. It automatically changes it that often, or every minute, day, and some other stuff if you so desire. The abstract folder is just some pictures that it came with. They're pretty. But if they're screwing up my computer, then they're going to have to go. So far, after a few minutes of resting it hasn't "frozen" again. We'll see.... It's somewhat comforting to know other people have the same thing.

gekko513
Apr 29, 2004, 09:22 PM
The 5 second rotation thing is something you can set for the desktop using any folder of pictures you want. It automatically changes it that often, or every minute, day, and some other stuff if you so desire. The abstract folder is just some pictures that it came with. They're pretty. But if they're screwing up my computer, then they're going to have to go. So far, after a few minutes of resting it hasn't "frozen" again. We'll see.... It's somewhat comforting to know other people have the same thing.
Ah, get it. Please let us know if the problem goes away with the 5 second rotation thing.

Elbeano
Apr 29, 2004, 09:24 PM
Well, it's been about 10 minutes and there hasn't been a problem yet. However, I used it about 8 hours today with the 5 second rotation while doing a bunch of other stuff and there were no problems until it happened twice in a row.

Coolvirus007
Apr 30, 2004, 07:59 AM
Go back to where you got your pb because it seems like your having all sorts of problems. The faster you mention it, the less hassle you get into later. (from personal experience)

ingenious
Apr 30, 2004, 09:17 AM
this thread is discussing the same thing... they have found a fix that doesnt work for me, but works for everyone else....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=69927&goto=newpost

Elbeano
Apr 30, 2004, 09:39 AM
Yeah, when my stuff went down I couldn't do any of that stuff. But I did have a seperate problem that was a little more similar to what they are describing, and when that happened I think I did what they are saying. It just seemed like it was in the middle of loading some stuff, and needed some time to think about it. Then everything worked fine. But, I think I am going to end up having to take mine back anyway, because the latch finally broke completely. Well, nothing really broke, it just doesn't work. I have a post going on the buying guide forum about what I should do if anyone has any suggestions.

tcruse11
Apr 30, 2004, 10:36 AM
I've noticed that when i set my imac and my 12" powerbook to switch backgrounds, my computers have always a little sluggish. I turned the background switcher off and no more problems. I know it probbably doesn't make to much of a difference, but it is a noticable difference none the less. I just view it as a waste of processor speed and ram. In regards to the hiccups your powerbook is having call tech support. You shouldn't be having those sorts of problems. Occasionally a defected computer will slip through quality control. Welcome to the Mac community.

Elbeano
Apr 30, 2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the welcome. It's beginning to sound a lot like the PC community, only at least you're all dealing with the same few dozen products, so you're much more likely to find someone who has exactly the same problems.