PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference?

tomatobush
Apr 29, 2004, 09:35 PM
What is the difference between Apple and Macintosh. They seem to be used interchangabley. Which one is the real company name? :confused:

mactastic
Apr 29, 2004, 09:39 PM
It's Apple Computer, Inc.

At least according to whois.com.

XnavxeMiyyep
Apr 29, 2004, 11:07 PM
Apple is the company. The computers they make are Macs. Mac is short for Macintosh.

powerbook4me
Apr 29, 2004, 11:08 PM
Just call them MACS ;)

MrMacMan
Apr 29, 2004, 11:16 PM
Apple used to make other computers besides the 'macintosh' line.

Apple makes the Mac --- Macintosh.

But currently they just the Macintosh line.

And current events is the wrong place for this.

mms
Apr 29, 2004, 11:17 PM
They shouldn't be used interchangably. It is incorrect to call the computers Apples (except for the really old models that were actually called Apple __'s) and it is incorrecrt to call it the Apple OS.

MoparShaha
Apr 30, 2004, 12:50 AM
Just call them MACS ;)OMG, don't get me started! :eek: ;)

wdlove
Apr 30, 2004, 01:52 PM
Yes, it has always been Apple Computer, Inc. The product that they make is the Mac, abbreviated for Macintosh. It's just like GM makes Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, & Pontiac.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 30, 2004, 02:21 PM
Please post in the correct forum!!!!!

D

parrothead
Apr 30, 2004, 02:56 PM
Just call them MACS ;)

Actually MAC in all capital letters means something entirely different. Apple is the company that makes iPods, Macintosh computers, displays, etc. They also made many models of computer before the Macintosh ever came out. examples, II, IIG, IIGS, etc.

g30ffr3y
Apr 30, 2004, 03:22 PM
Actually MAC in all capital letters means something entirely different. Apple is the company that makes iPods, Macintosh computers, displays, etc. They also made many models of computer before the Macintosh ever came out. examples, II, IIG, IIGS, etc.

MAC makes like lipstick or something... i think...

apple, mac, macintosh, os x, ipod, powermac, powerbook, tibook, albook,
g5, aqua, quicksilver, MDD, pismo, lombard, snow ibook, original imac...

no matter what the word... it always brings a smile to my face... :)

Flowbee
Apr 30, 2004, 03:57 PM
It's like asking 'what's the difference between Microsoft and Windows?'

mms
Apr 30, 2004, 08:59 PM
Yeah, kinda of like Windows/MS but different... because Microsoft doesn't make actual hardware. I often hear Macintosh computers referred to as Apples. The fact that Apple did make a line of computers called Apples makes it even easier for people to get confused and assume that their computers today can still be called Apples.