Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomatobush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
What is the difference between Apple and Macintosh. They seem to be used interchangabley. Which one is the real company name? :confused:

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Apple used to make other computers besides the 'macintosh' line.

Apple makes the Mac --- Macintosh.

But currently they just the Macintosh line.

And current events is the wrong place for this.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
They shouldn't be used interchangably. It is incorrect to call the computers Apples (except for the really old models that were actually called Apple __'s) and it is incorrecrt to call it the Apple OS.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes, it has always been Apple Computer, Inc. The product that they make is the Mac, abbreviated for Macintosh. It's just like GM makes Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, & Pontiac.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
powerbook4me said:
Just call them MACS ;)

Actually MAC in all capital letters means something entirely different. Apple is the company that makes iPods, Macintosh computers, displays, etc. They also made many models of computer before the Macintosh ever came out. examples, II, IIG, IIGS, etc.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
parrothead said:
Actually MAC in all capital letters means something entirely different. Apple is the company that makes iPods, Macintosh computers, displays, etc. They also made many models of computer before the Macintosh ever came out. examples, II, IIG, IIGS, etc.

MAC makes like lipstick or something... i think...

apple, mac, macintosh, os x, ipod, powermac, powerbook, tibook, albook,
g5, aqua, quicksilver, MDD, pismo, lombard, snow ibook, original imac...

no matter what the word... it always brings a smile to my face... :)

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Yeah, kinda of like Windows/MS but different... because Microsoft doesn't make actual hardware. I often hear Macintosh computers referred to as Apples. The fact that Apple did make a line of computers called Apples makes it even easier for people to get confused and assume that their computers today can still be called Apples.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.