Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taff007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Cardiff, UK
I've just got my 2 year old black macbook back from a UK Premium Reseller following a third attempt to fix a bluetooth dropping/failing to sleep problem (now replaced the logic board). This repair took nearly 4 weeks, on top of the 6 weeks they had it previously so I was not overly impressed with the service.

Then I was told that when they tested the computer they found the battery was dead as it would not take a charge. Whilst it had done over 400 cycles, I calibrated it every other month, was getting over 2 hours of use per charge, and the most recent Coconut Battery check showed it had 85% health. When I took the macbook in to be repaired I had it running in the store to show them the problem, so the battery was obviously OK at that point.

When I complained I was told it was unfortunate that it happened when they were repairing it, but there was nothing they could do except sell me a new one for £95 as it was not covered by Applecare.

I'm now left with a machine that is less useful than before it was repaired. Is there anything I can check in the logs to give me a clue what has happened?

Germwise

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
I don't know how things work in the UK but if that happened to me here in the US and they treated me like that I would make a HUGE scene.

the fact that you have 400 cycles on your computer has no relevance. You gave them a working battery--they should return it in the same condition!

Its pretty clear they damaged it in someway. Your battery didn't just stop working.

Also these long repair times are totally unacceptable. You paid for a working laptop. Is there a consumer advocacy group? maybe directly contacting apple?

I would stir some Sh*t up though.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Just stay cool, calm and friendly yet firm. Speak to the manager or someone else that is capable of making decision and tell them that they battery was fine when you dropped it off and you had 85% health. Also, if they are a chain, an email or letter of complaint may help

If he is of no use, complain to Apple. They won't want want re-sellers giving them a bad name.

taff007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Thanks for your replies.

Have you tried a different battery and/or reset the SMC?
I haven't got another battery to try, but the SMC reset didn't work. Thanks anyway.

I'll try to speak to Apple direct in the morning, or failing that I'll try to get to an Apple Store on the weekend. Unfortunately it's a 100 mile round trip but I get the impression they'll give better customer service.

I just found a couple of screen grabs I took to the store when I booked the computer in (as the original problem occurred randomly). One shows 'Battery Charged', and another showing 52 minutes of charge remaining, both dated a couple of days before I took it in which should help me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.