Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pants

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2001
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/25934.html

imac sales seem to have dropped. for all I *LOVE* osx, (and the ibook) some of the other mac lines just aren't so price/performance competitive . With the g5 disappearing off over the horizon, I wonder how many off us will settle for the usual 133mhz increase and a fudged DDR solution ?

I'd have thought this kind of 'news' must worry a few apple investors?

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Yeah, apple seems to be finally suffering a little from the fiscal cold which has put the rest of the market to bed... I'm sure it will recover, but I hope all the financial shenanigans of Enron and WorldCom show that the once popular model of enslaving your company to shareholders is not sustainable in the long (or even medium) term.

Apple needs to concentrate on its real worth as innovator and provider of real quality, rather than subscribing to the 'shareholder-value-added-is-everything' myth/jargon. I think the link in that article which highlights apple's recent QA problems raises more worrying issues for apple in the long-term than the length of the company's current 'inventory pipline' and quarterly earnings forecast.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by OSeXy!
Yeah, apple seems to be finally suffering a little from the fiscal cold which has put the rest of the market to bed...
You wordsmith you :p

I'm sure the new products released at MWNY will give Apples sales a shot in the arm.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Re: something has to happen sooner rather than later...

Originally posted by Pants
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/25934.html

imac sales seem to have dropped. for all I *LOVE* osx, (and the ibook) some of the other mac lines just aren't so price/performance competitive . With the g5 disappearing off over the horizon, I wonder how many off us will settle for the usual 133mhz increase and a fudged DDR solution ?

I'd have thought this kind of 'news' must worry a few apple investors?

Something better happen, or what? Apple has been profitable as of late, despite these "warning" threads. Hmmmm. Maybe they are doing alright without our two cents. I guess we could make general statements,

"Apple better sell some good products soon, or they could go bankrupt!"

Anon

macrumors member
May 23, 2002
Apple's stock price is down, so it has been noticed by the investors.

iMac sales are down because of the eMac, refreshed Powerbook, refreshed iBook, bad economy, and Apple's price increase.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
as soon as something better (really the G5) comes out..I'll buy. I know several people who will do the same. there's just not a reason to jump on board yet.

Pants

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2001
no - i didnt say - 'something better happen or apple will go bankrupt'. perhaps I should have said 'something better change'...
many of us are sitting on cash waiting to see what AMDs hammer will be like - at that point I'll be making a decsion on a fair few machines.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
I think that in the long run Apple has the advantage.
they have a low market share,
mac is king, offering plain and simple computing solution, hook that to beautiful looks and you've got a winner.

trouble is that the market is full, and we will see ups every 3-5 years, but not major like how the market exploded trough the 90ies.
the 90ies were the golden years for computer companies, fewer people had computers, and since computers became massively popular everybody bought them.
But now that everybody has one, only the guys that have older machines, and be in the race again with newer ones will go out to buy.
Come on be honest if you got a mac that is let's say 1-2 years old, are you really gonna invest at least 2500$ for a newer model.
(if you got like a bizillion$ Ok, but you're normal john doe says that he will use the mac untill it falls apart/ or when it is really to old to run all that newest stuff on it)
So that is why computer companies are crashing nowadays. investment in already a lost game. investing in a market that is full, bad, bad desicion.

Apple turns investment into solid liquid.
they're safe, unless Steve decides to make a run for it taking Apple's earnings and G5 with him. :D

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I'm not too worried about Apple's sales being down as most companies are getting hit harder. Look what's happen to many technology companies. The market's tight and people hold on to their money.

I agree that apple needs to lower prices on iBooks and iMacs. They need to come out with something kick-ass for pro's. I won't switch, but I wont buy either. I'm ready to buy if they come out with something good. I don't need as much horsepower has some people, but I still want it. It's like a disease. I feel like Chritopher Walken in View To A Kill when his balloon gets stuck on the Golden Gate Bridge. More, More Power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.