Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smile-jj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2009
My 5.5G iPod Video, 30 GB (bought at end of 2006), is breaking down. The headphone port's connection is barely working, it used to be that I can only hear from the left earphone without adjusting it, now both sides don't work unless I apply pressure to it. Unless somebody can tell me a way to fix this, like pull a circuit out by yourself or something that would be great. Besides replacing the headphone port, because I'd rather get a new iPod.

Which brings me to the question, when do you think Apple will release a new generation iPod videos/classics?? Hopefully they'll change the current iPod classic considerably, like perhaps a bigger screen, new interface (I hate the split screen thing), or maybe different colours like the nano. I don't know, but please tell me if there are any rumours about a new iPod video, anything! I want to know whether I should just buy one now or wait a few months..

heckcf10

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't count on a major overhaul until the fall. The product cycle has always has been september/october with minor updates have-way through the year (i.e., when they went from 80GB/160GB to only 120 GB with the current iPod Classic). Apple is definitely concentrating all its efforts on the iPhone and iPod touch because of the app store so I wouldn't be surprised if the iPod classic is phased out all together OR is transitioned into the iPod touch line.

My 5.5G iPod Video, 30 GB (bought at end of 2006), is breaking down. The headphone port's connection is barely working, it used to be that I can only hear from the left earphone without adjusting it, now both sides don't work unless I apply pressure to it. Unless somebody can tell me a way to fix this, like pull a circuit out by yourself or something that would be great. Besides replacing the headphone port, because I'd rather get a new iPod.

Which brings me to the question, when do you think Apple will release a new generation iPod videos/classics?? Hopefully they'll change the current iPod classic considerably, like perhaps a bigger screen, new interface (I hate the split screen thing), or maybe different colours like the nano. I don't know, but please tell me if there are any rumours about a new iPod video, anything! I want to know whether I should just buy one now or wait a few months..

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK

Hey, I know how to fix it, but the only way's to replace the jack (and hold switch since it's all one part). I just did it for my friend (same iPod) a few weeks ago. If you keep your headphones plugged in then wrap them round your ipod when it's in your bag etc then that's what's probably done it. It puts a strain on the jack.

It's a fiddly repair but doable. You said you don't want to fix the jack but the part's only $25 and if you buy the part and then ship your iPod to this website ifixipodsfast.com then they'll fit the part for you free. So, including shipping maybe like $35 to fix your iPod, which is pretty cheap.

I bought the part for my friend's 'pod from that website and it worked great.

Hopefully they'll change the current iPod classic considerably, like perhaps a bigger screen, new interface (I hate the split screen thing), or maybe different colours like the nano.

On the rumour side, I don't think they'll get rid of the split interface. It would look like them taking a step back I think and I doubt they'll introduce colours for the classic since it's always just been white/silver or black. Sad to say I also think that Apple's pretty much focused on the nano (biggest seller) and the touch (lots of revenue from the app store). The best I'd hope for would be more storage/battery life. I can't see it getting too much of an overhaul, some people on here are even predicting that it'll get EOL'd in the near future.

PM if you want to ask me anything about replacing the jack :)

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Well, mine is in worse shape! LOL!!

My click wheel button "sunk" - there is a rubber button underneath the actual button. I've moved that back under the button 3 times - it just keeps slipping.... which means it's almost impossible to change playlists. While trying to fix that - i broke the stinking hard drive connector (for the ribbon cable).

UGH.... i got it connected enough to work - a couple of sad iPod screens when i put it back together. The drive is still making the clicking sounds that led me to believe that the drive isn't long for the world either.

I"m not putting $99 into it for a drive - because i don't have that much right now, but it doesn't make much sense to fix something so "old" either.

BUT, i'd put $25-35 into it to get by until the next generation comes out and see what choices there are.....

SOOO, i say - in a long winded way - that i'd fix it! LOL!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.