PDA

View Full Version : iPod Authorization

jbembe
Apr 30, 2004, 10:40 AM
I'm looking for help, presumably this is a simple issue.

I have a 40 automatically updating at home, previously I was manually managing my library, but I like for the playcounts to sum the total plays between the computer and iPod. Once I changed the iPod to automatic update I could no longer listen to the iPod at work by plugging the device in through the firewire and accessing the songs on the computer's iTunes interface because the computer asks me if I want to automatically link to this computer instead of the home computer and when I say no, the computer doesn't interface with the iPod at all. Is there anything I can do with the work computer to allow me to play the iPod through the computer?

Thanks

wrldwzrd89
Apr 30, 2004, 11:08 AM
I'm looking for help, presumably this is a simple issue.

I have a 40 automatically updating at home, previously I was manually managing my library, but I like for the playcounts to sum the total plays between the computer and iPod. Once I changed the iPod to automatic update I could no longer listen to the iPod at work by plugging the device in through the firewire and accessing the songs on the computer's iTunes interface because the computer asks me if I want to automatically link to this computer instead of the home computer and when I say no, the computer doesn't interface with the iPod at all. Is there anything I can do with the work computer to allow me to play the iPod through the computer?

Thanks
I think iPods can only be associated with one computer at a time - that is why iTunes is prompting you to change the linking to the other computer. You would be better off getting the speaker/dock accessory for work and using that to listen to your iPod - avoids the problem altogether.

jxyama
Apr 30, 2004, 12:53 PM
iPod works fine on more than one computer. like you saw, just turn off the automatic song synching. make it manual and mount as fw hd. i don't think there's any way around it, but cheaper solution than buying speakers, no?

kanker
Apr 30, 2004, 05:48 PM
Get podworks (http://www.scifihifi.com/podworks/). It's an iPod ripping app, $8, that you can install on your computer (preferably your home computer to have access to it if you ever wipe your iPod) and your iPod (one machine and one pod per the EULA). Click no when it asks you if you want it to sync with the new computer, open the iPod as a FW drive, start Podworks, and voila!

iostream.h
Apr 30, 2004, 06:07 PM
Why waste $8.00 on podworks when Ollie's iPod Extractor (http://isophonic.net/applications/) is free?

kanker
Apr 30, 2004, 10:55 PM
Why waste $8.00 on podworks when Ollie's iPod Extractor (http://isophonic.net/applications/) is free?Because Ollie seems to only allow you to move tunes off your iPod onto a computer, while Podworks lets you play the tunes off your iPod without having to transfer them to your computer, and will run from your iPod. You can also transfer individual songs, groups of songs, or your whole library with Podworks.

jbembe
May 1, 2004, 10:46 AM
Sounds like Podworks is the one for me. Although it is easier to just turn off autosynch...