PDA

View Full Version : G4

arn
Jun 28, 2002, 09:13 AM
MacBidouille provides (http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2002-06-28#2891) information regarding upcoming PowerMac G4's:

Google Translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macbidouille.com%2Fniouzcontenu.php%3Fdate%3D2002-06-28%232891&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&prev=%2Flanguage_tools):

- Confirmation that there will be no G5 before 2003.
- the new G4 chips proposed in July will be of the 7460.
- According to APPLE, it are a parmis the only ones to manufacture a ASIC really able to exploit to the maximum the modules of GDR for a maximized flow.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 28, 2002, 09:20 AM
Doesn't come as all that big a surprise, I just hope its performance is at least decent enough. I won't be buying a new machine this year, it looks like. I'm thinking I'll be more excited over finding out what new enclosure design they bring out. That's not a good sign, being more interested in the design and not the hardware......:(

G4scott
Jun 28, 2002, 09:20 AM
Can someone translate this correctly? We don't want this thread to be misunderstood like the G5 thread. And why/how do the French know all of this? Not that I don't like the people of France, but shouldn't we know this stiff first hand in the US?

And what the heck is this supposed to mean?

- According to APPLE, it are a parmis the only ones to manufacture a ASIC really able to exploit to the maximum the modules of GDR for a maximized flow.

I just hope that Apple can do alot with the G4, and that mot can make it better too...

drastik
Jun 28, 2002, 09:24 AM
Allright, I'm ignorant again, what is this GDR? The information seems scketchy, so I don't know, but they are usually okay credible and the translations from google, while very very cool and very very usefull, don't all make the best since yet.:)

TyleRomeo
Jun 28, 2002, 09:26 AM
yippie, i can't wait for the 7460s

please be 1.4GHZ g4s

nero007
Jun 28, 2002, 09:32 AM
You won't be disappointed in the performance of the next line of G4s. From what I've heard they fix almost all of the problems that the original G4 had.

DavPeanut
Jun 28, 2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by nero007
You won't be disappointed in the performance of the next line of G4s. From what I've heard they fix almost all of the problems that the original G4 had.
Thats good

rugby
Jun 28, 2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by nero007

What problems did the G4 have that haven't been ironed out yet?

ebow
Jun 28, 2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by drastik
Allright, I'm ignorant again, what is this GDR? The information seems scketchy, so I don't know, but they are usually okay credible and the translations from google, while very very cool and very very usefull, don't all make the best since yet.:)

Could "GDR" be a French acronym for "DDR"? Just checked and no, it's not...

BUT, oops on the translator software: if you look at the original posting in French, you find that the text there is "DDR." Babelfish made the same mistake. Well, there ya go.

delta.hex
Jun 28, 2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by G4scott
Can someone translate this correctly? We don't want this thread to be misunderstood like the G5 thread. And why/how do the French know all of this? Not that I don't like the people of France, but shouldn't we know this stiff first hand in the US?

And what the heck is this supposed to mean?

It is written in such a bad french that it can be ambiguous... What it means is:

According to APPLE, they are among the few (only?) ones to manufacture an ASIC that can truly take full advantage of the DDR (the original version actually says DDR) modules for a maximized bandwith.

Macmaniac
Jun 28, 2002, 10:15 AM
I hope its 1.4 and DDR! That would be huge for Apple, 1.2 is just not fast enough. People would have strong doubts about Apples commitment to the Pro Line if they do 1.2. We can only hope;)

pwfletcher
Jun 28, 2002, 10:17 AM
Those damn french ... it is like they have a different word for EVERYTHING!

frenchman
Jun 28, 2002, 10:20 AM
A better translation of the last item (maybe some grammar mistakes but understandable)

According to Apple, they are among the only to manufacture an ASIC really able to take advantage of DDR and maximize the throughput.

topicolo
Jun 28, 2002, 10:26 AM
Yeah, that's about how I understood it. One thing that does bug me is that if apple has only one supplier of these AISCs, they could be seriously hampered if there is any problem with the supply chain. That could lead to apple not being able to meet demand and a subsequent tumble in their stock price

lazyrighteye
Jun 28, 2002, 11:09 AM
Supply trouble??

Now that's plain crazy talk... ;)

Rene
Jun 28, 2002, 11:13 AM
I do not think that DDR is translated wrong. DDR is an abbreviation for Deutsche Demokratische Republik, which would translate to... German Democratic Republic... :eek:

Why the translation software would think that french people even consider using the original foreign abbreviations remains a mistery though :D

gazelips
Jun 28, 2002, 11:14 AM
A possiblity: DDR can stand for Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR), which in English means German Democratic Republic (GDR). If the French use DDR for Germany, it would translate to GDR when you go from French to English.

Just my best guess.

billiam0878
Jun 28, 2002, 11:15 AM
I'm really not a processor buff, can anyone tell me anymore about the 7460? Thanks

Bill

dekator
Jun 28, 2002, 11:16 AM
1) There's a good reason for some rumors (like the one about Rayzor) being afloat in Europe rather than in the US. You would say: "Hey, we're closer to the HQ !" And, yeah, that may be exactly the reason why... ;-)
2) pwfletcher : "Those damn french ... it is like they have a different word for EVERYTHING!"

Ehem, that's supposed to be funny? Those damn English speaking have a different word for everything too ! (Perspective).

3) Don't you Americans learn foreign languages (except for English of course;-)) ?

mueng
Jun 28, 2002, 11:38 AM
My French professor told us this joke....

What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages....

Trilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages....

Bilingual

What do you call someone who speaks only 1 language....

French!!!

hahahahah...yeah anyways.

King Cobra
Jun 28, 2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mueng
My French professor told us this joke....

...which I don't get and should be removed.

Hey, dekator, don't make me swear in Spanish! :eek:

The Apollo 7460 G4 chip by Motorola is I think a low power consuming chip and, IMO, has potential to go up to 1200 or 1400MHz.

Can we get back on topic a little? Cool. :cool:

Rene
Jun 28, 2002, 12:17 PM
Hey King Cobra, you're funny, hahahaha....

The Apollo 7460 G4 chip by Motorola is I think a low power consuming chip and, IMO, has potential to go up to 1200 or 1400MHz

IMO any G4 should go up to 2 Ghz, but I don't know for sure if it can and neither do you. If you don't know what chip it is (I think a low power one) how can you estimate what its potential is?!

And about that joke... :D :D :D Great!

King Cobra
Jun 28, 2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Rene
Hey King Cobra, you're funny, hahahaha....

IMO any G4 should go up to 2 Ghz, but I don't know for sure if it can and neither do you. If you don't know what chip it is (I think a low power one) how can you estimate what its potential is?!

Hey, Rene, you're a newbie. And you're telling me what you think in response to opinions. This is classic!

But, to be more accurate, this is a rumors site. And I thought I read somewhere that the G4 or some version of it can only go to 1.5GHz, maybe a bit faster. I am not too sure, but I thought I heard that somewhere. And I also thought I read that the G5 can only go to 4 or 5GHz.

Rene, if you plan to not respect thoughts and/or personal opinions, remember this statement Alpha posted earlier (something like this):

Opinions are like ashholes. Everyone has one, but you don't have to like somebody else's. :cool:

OSeXy!
Jun 28, 2002, 12:26 PM
I thought the 7460 was for laptops/consumer (no L3 cache support). It's meant to be the little brother of the 7470...

"Motorola is priming a cut-down 7470, labelled the 7460, which doesn't support L3 cache."

link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/24018.html

Rene
Jun 28, 2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra

Hey, Rene, you're a newbie. And you're telling me what you think in response to opinions. This is classic!

Rene, if you plan to not respect thoughts and/or personal opinions, remember this statement Alpha posted earlier (something like this):

Opinions are like ashholes. Everyone has one, but you don't have to like somebody else's. :cool:

I'm sorry if I offended you, I just had a long day at work...

Still think its funny, though.

Now I will go back into my tiny little newbie's corner and keep my mouth shut. ;)

Catfish_Man
Jun 28, 2002, 12:46 PM
...IF apple can get DDR working well with the G4 (not like the XServe) then it will go a LONG way towards solving the G4's problems. Pretty much the only one left will be the poor DP floating point (and that's relative, it's actually pretty good).

<crosses fingers>

King Cobra
Jun 28, 2002, 12:59 PM
Smart move, Rene, as I was just about to adopt the most recent holiday song by the real king of newbie flamers:

[xmas type song]Roasting newbies on an open fire...[/xmas type song]

But, since I am off duty, try to get through your day at work. And tell me you work with an AC, or I am going to be sick! :eek: :cool:

billiam0878
Jun 28, 2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by OSeXy!
I thought the 7460 was for laptops/consumer (no L3 cache support). It's meant to be the little brother of the 7470...

"Motorola is priming a cut-down 7470, labelled the 7460, which doesn't support L3 cache."

link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/24018.html

So why would Apple use the 7460, which is itended for consumers/laptops, for the pro models?

Bill

drastik
Jun 28, 2002, 01:41 PM
Well, the Register may be mistaken, but they are pretty good. HMM... Apple could have lobbied for a modification to the chip, if it had some other advantage they really wanted, its possible. Maybe it has something to do with this full DDR throughput?:confused:

beatle888
Jun 28, 2002, 01:59 PM
I cant believe the amount of bickering that goes on here.
you guys must be really young. I couldnt imagine adults
acting like the majority of the people on this forum.

Your predictions are hardly ever right, yet your behavior
towards apple and to each other are terribly predictable.

I cant believe this you guys are just silly.

Megaquad
Jun 28, 2002, 02:24 PM

But, to be more accurate, this is a rumors site. And I thought I read somewhere that the G4 or some version of it can only go to 1.5GHz, maybe a bit faster. I am not too sure, but I thought I heard that somewhere. And I also thought I read that the G5 can only go to 4 or 5GHz.

your behavior,and behavior of *SOME* oldbies with large post count..and demi-gods..those dpvgsomething is totally immature and disgusting!
you treat -500 p.count users like they are lower beings,they have to apologize for every ******** opinion which is in conflict with yours! thats primitive and offensive you know? position yourself in place of those 'victims' and you'll see it is not very nice..
i just hope i dont get flamed to death by some..

fitzg2md05
Jun 28, 2002, 03:31 PM
ive been at macrumors for a long ass time. I simply havent posted. Dont get on peoples cases for actually speaking up. If you dont agree with their opinions, too damn bad. If anything, flame those (me included) who read the posts but dont contribute to the conversation. And us "newbies", we should understand that these people have taken time out of their day to contribute to the conversation. Something we profit from, yet dont support. So everyone chill the ****** out. Damn, if I wanted to listen to bickering, id go hang out with ex-girlfriend!:p

King Cobra
Jun 28, 2002, 07:29 PM
Hey, Quad, I was saying that people (it doesn't matter who) shouldn't disrespect people's opinions. When Rene said "how can you estimate what its potential is?!" that basically means that my personal opinion is ridiculous. As far as I am concerned, 1.4GHz is not out of line.

Then I simply procedded to make him feel better by supporting him, telling him to try and get through the day. Then --get your glasses on-- I made a joke to try and make him feel better. Since I THINK most buisnesses have air conditioned offices, and, since it should be summer around the country, I went on to say that if he doesn't have AC I would be sick, since I can't stand to find out about people suffering from the heat.

So I am not making other apologize at all, but I am pointing out that honest opinions shouldn't be rejected like that. And if you still don't understand the joke, look up the word in the dictionary. It should be right between confused and misunderstanding.

Now don't take that as a newbie threat, as I at least NEVER try to threaten people, or make them apologize, on the forums, unless it's a JOKE. But I do make them realize their mistakes. Plus, I at least try to cheer them up if they are feeling low.

Don't turn me into a person with lots of experience behind the flames, as you would not want to find out what I can do... [evil laugh] :cool:

alex_ant
Jun 28, 2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
I cant believe the amount of bickering that goes on here.
you guys must be really young.
You are correct that there is plenty of youth and immaturity here. I don't mind the youth, but the immaturity gets old. (So to speak.)

Except for poop jokes... those never get old. :)

Fab nick, by the way.

alex_ant
Jun 28, 2002, 07:45 PM
Hey, Quad, I was saying that people (it doesn't matter who) shouldn't disrespect people's opinions.
It is your opinion that one should respect others' opinions. I don't respect your opinions. Do you respect my opinion not to respect your opinions? :)

King Cobra
Jun 28, 2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant
It is your opinion that one should respect others' opinions. I don't respect your opinions. Do you respect my opinion not to respect your opinions? :)

Easy, big guy. What I said is something that has been said over and over on the forums, so that doesn't make my statement an opinion, unless it has always been an opinion by EVERYONE who has said it before.

And I don't have to respect your opinion to disrespect mine, but I try to respect it as well, as long as it stays in line. (Yes, that was an opinion.)

Here is another one: alex, I think you should try to use more smilies. :) :D

G4scott
Jun 28, 2002, 09:39 PM
Now, to get this thread back on topic... ::dodges flaming poop::

Originally posted by delta.hex

It is written in such a bad french that it can be ambiguous... What it means is:

According to APPLE, they are among the few (only?) ones to manufacture an ASIC that can truly take full advantage of the DDR (the original version actually says DDR) modules for a maximized bandwith.

Does this mean that Apple is among the few who can make DDR work at its best on the Mac only, or is that among PC makers too? That's be interesting, yet just like Apple is. They are late in the game, but when they get there, they're better than almost everyone else...

alex_ant
Jun 28, 2002, 09:39 PM
???

Okay, I think I unintentionally confused the **** out of both of us.

I think what everyone is getting at is that yes, opinions are opinions, but the way it works here is this:

Person A: "Here's what I think, blah blah blah, and I think I'm right because blah blah blah."

Person B: "No, you're wrong about blah blah blah, I think blah blah blah, because blah blah blah."

Person A: "Perhaps, but..."

And so on. That's not a written rule, it's basic social behavior. These are discussion forums. Not tow-the-party-line forums. (Arguably.) People have opinions and ideas and conspiracy theories and they want to get them out there for people to poke and pick at and dissect. They argue them and others argue against them. That's the whole point of a discussion forum. Post count doesn't matter - the most intelligent posts I've ever read at Macrumors were made by someone with less than 50 posts. What is a newbie? Someone who may well be wiser than any of us, with more in-depth knowledge and a better understanding of the issues. Who knows why they're new here? Perhaps they were too busy working on Motorola CMOS development to join earlier? I'm just saying that it's stupid to pick on newbies just because they're new. If they're idiots, that's another story, but I've noticed that for every idiot newbie here, there is at least one idiot with 500+ posts (including myself, on occasion :)).

Alex

King Cobra
Jun 28, 2002, 09:49 PM
I am very well aware of the fact that post count doesn't determine ***** about intelligence. And I agree that you can't judge a person with 4000+ posts among someone with 2000, 500, or 10, or any other way around. So maybe "newbie" was inconsiderate, but it seems to be a joke that roams the boards.

The one opinion that I do need to say though: I don't think anyone, who flat out babbles about their peecee, will EVER leave the real "newbie" world, unless they convert.

But, with all that aside, I would like to get back on topic.

As for the overall functionality, I thought that DDR-RAM was DDR-RAM, and different speeds of these chips could perform faster operations. I know that some peecees have memory that is represented by 400MHz, but is really a four-way of 100MHz, but I don't see how certain types of memory are affected by ASIC.

And even when Apple seems to be behind in the game, we can count on the converts coming to the site. :cool:

dekator
Jun 29, 2002, 01:31 AM
Hola, King Cobra,

haga como quieras. Mi da igual.:p

Rene, hartelijk welkom. Leuk om je te ontmoeten...
Newbie of niet, dat geeft niets :)
Weet je, er zijn altijd mensen die moeten zich gedragen als een lulhannes...

De ballen !

:D

TyleRomeo
Jun 29, 2002, 02:14 AM
ok folks, lets cut the bickering and get back to subject at hand, the new G4s. If Apple would release the 7460 chip then they are silly since it doesnt support a L3 cache. The 7470 sounds more likely to me. Actually this whole rumor seems a little flaky to me. I never like these translated rumors from France or wherever. The 7570 supports .13 micron proccessing which can only help out the G4 but then again so does the 7500. If Apple plans to release the G5 in January then they will have to release the 7500 this July. If you see the 7470 or even the 7460 then don't expect the G5 until next summer ( wow that would really suck). I see no reason why the 7500 series won't be released this July. Apple can use the 7470s and 7460s in the iMacs and Powerbooks.

But we shall see in 3 weeks.

j763
Jun 29, 2002, 02:58 AM
...statement Alpha posted earlier (something like this):

Opinions are like ashholes. Everyone has one, but you don't have to like somebody else's.

dude, we already know that what comes out of alphas mouth is pretty much the same as what comes out of his 'ashhole' (sic). Are you in the same category?

alex_ant
Jun 29, 2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by j763
dude, we already know that what comes out of alphas mouth is pretty much the same as what comes out of his 'ashhole' (sic). Are you in the same category?
Are you saying that Alpha drools out of his rectum?

tjwett
Jun 29, 2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
ok folks, lets cut the bickering and get back to subject at hand, the new G4s. If Apple would release the 7460 chip then they are silly since it doesnt support a L3 cache. The 7470 sounds more likely to me. Actually this whole rumor seems a little flaky to me. I never like these translated rumors from France or wherever. The 7570 supports .13 micron proccessing which can only help out the G4 but then again so does the 7500. If Apple plans to release the G5 in January then they will have to release the 7500 this July. If you see the 7470 or even the 7460 then don't expect the G5 until next summer ( wow that would really suck). I see no reason why the 7500 series won't be released this July. Apple can use the 7470s and 7460s in the iMacs and Powerbooks.

But we shall see in 3 weeks.

not really responding to your post. just saw a fellow long islander. have you heard any news about the Roosevelt Field store? I work near the SOHO store and it's hard to tell what progress is happening inside. i hope one of them will be open for MWNY.

beatle888
Jun 29, 2002, 04:02 AM
after reading the last couple posts i feel better coming to
this site. Things are looking up.:D

I dont know, these rumors, how many are accually true?
we were a bit off base last time weren't we?
But after the last expo, we where happy hear on the forums.
I think you guys will like what you see.

You know will get DDR, I would not be supprised at
1.4mhz. New enclosures will probably be saved for the
G#. FireWire2, USB2, Jaguar,,,,,,,I bet I bet. Better graphics
cards....maybe maybe running QX. Faster drives, Faster Buses.
And for a little surgar on top how about some of that EyeCandy
they seem to like to pass out for free......an iApp....perhaps.

I mean, it could be possible and that would make us happy, or
atleast a little.:D :D :D

xcoff
Jun 29, 2002, 04:35 AM
Selon Apple, il sont un parmis les seuls à fabriquer un ASIC vraiment capable de d'exploiter au maximum les modules de DDR pour un débit maximisé.

= Apple claims they are among the only ones able to manufacture an 'ASIC' that takes fully advantage of DDR for a maximum bandwitdh...

in fact the original translation ('apple says that they are among the only ones to be capable to produce an asic that can really fully exploit ddr bandwidth ') is not bad at all...

it's my first post here so don't blame me if I'm wrong ;)

xcoff
Jun 29, 2002, 04:46 AM
this is indeed a babelfish mistake...
I think it tries to translate DDR as Deutsche Demokratische Republik thus
GDR=German Democratic Republic (former East Germany) :)

Another good example of why I use babelfish when I'm bored :D :D

Megaquad
Jun 29, 2002, 04:59 AM
Hey, Quad, I was saying that people (it doesn't matter who) shouldn't disrespect people's opinions. When Rene said "how can you estimate what its potential is?!" that basically means that my personal opinion is ridiculous. As far as I am concerned, 1.4GHz is not out of line.
you see,that is ridiculous,then you should say 'i think they'll made cpu for xxx ghz max' but its ok...that really doesnt matter,what matters is how,shall i say evil you said to him that he should respect your opinion,but he was simply wondering how can you estimate 'potential of some cpu'..
ahh..whatever,you seem like a nice guy
oh man..*mq gives king cobra bear hug*:p ;) :cool: :D

totoro
Jun 29, 2002, 05:42 AM
ANother french site (www.macplus.org/macplus) has posted a rumor telling that there will be a G5 at MWNY. we are going to say hello to Fast and Faster G4 and an ultimate G5 @ 1.6GHz (the only CPU that can be produce in high number).
As usual, this rumor has been posted by an anonymous source...

beatle888
Jun 29, 2002, 06:35 AM
the ...... what if we get this .....or even better that.
This is definately the best part.

See rumors are rumors, maybe we will see the first
G5. Remember when the first run of the G4 came out?
didn't it run on a G3 board? I KNOW I KNOW i could be
wrong but there was something about the first G4's that
made them inferior to what Apple planned on producing
in there next revision. SO maybe we'll get a first run G5
with all the DDR and bus improvements that we all want
with a new case and Jaguar, making the system with it's
state of the art graphics card tuned specifically for the mac
and QX. How much memory and how many processors can
go on a high end graphics chip? You know they did ask the
movie industry what it would take to make them happy.
And what can make that industry happy, well I think I'd
be able to crack a smile my self.:D :D :D
Apple wants to make a splash in the comming weeks.
Think about all the advertising there doing.
WE ARE GOING TO BE SO HAPPY.:D :D :D

Rene
Jun 29, 2002, 06:52 AM
.... When Rene said "how can you estimate what its potential is?!" that basically means that my personal opinion is ridiculous. As far as I am concerned, 1.4GHz is not out of line.

Then I simply procedded to make him feel better by supporting him, telling him to try and get through the day. Then --get your glasses on-- I made a joke to try and make him feel better...

...So I am not making other apologize at all, but I am pointing out that honest opinions shouldn't be rejected like that...

Wow, I did not realize what impact my comments on KC and his reaction would have.

First of all, let me make clear that "in my opinion" KC was right when pointing out to me that people should respect other peoples opions. However it was never my intention to ridicule his opinion. What I tried to make clear to KC is that he made a comment on something he did not really know what it was (as it appeared to me).

Let me give an example. You can have an opinion about a joke. You have heard that joke, and you will like it or not (or you do not get it ;)) . Another exampe. You can have an opinion on my girlfriend. Either you will think she is a fox, or you do not.

Now back to KC, "in my opinion" that post is funny, because first KC announces he does not really know what chip it is, but next has an opinion on that chip (which chip?) like a designer would have with his boss. (Boss: How fast will it be able to go? Designer: In my opinion we could safely try and squeeze 1.5 Ghz out of it before it would burst into flames.)

Can you have an opinion on something you have never seen, heard, or tried (no, you can not try my girlfriend :rolleyes: )? Or on something of which you do not know what it exactly is? Not "in my opinion".

I would have formulated his post something like: "I think I have read somewhere it is a low power one. Maybe therefore it can reach higher processing speeds without additional cooling." It is the same thing but now I am just guessing instead of having an opinion on something I have not designed, touched, tasted or even tried.

However, all that is stated above is my opinion on how to use opinions, but I have no right telling people how to use opinions and when. KC was right pointing that out to me, and therefore I apologized. I should have stayed on topic instead of insulting people.

And no... as you might have guessed I do not have an airconditioning unit at work :D :D :D

King Cobra
Jun 29, 2002, 10:16 AM
Hey, Quad, that's just your opinion.

Rene and others, just drop it. Maybe I was at fault, maybe not. But, quite frankly, I could give one right now.

Let's drop it already and move on.

xcoff, smart move. Always start with Babelfish when you are bored out of your mind! :D

Babelfish rocks. :cool:

kettle
Jun 29, 2002, 10:46 AM

What the hell has being a newbie on MacRumours got to do with validating an opinion? all it can tell someone is how many posts have been made by a user, under that user name.

Ibjr
Jun 29, 2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by kettle

What the hell has being a newbie on MacRumours got to do with validating an opinion? all it can tell someone is how many posts have been made by a user, under that user name.

Yes, but some people equate their ability to be unproductive in life (and post here) with their authority in predictions.

King Cobra
Jun 29, 2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Ibjr
Yes, but some people equate their ability to be unproductive in life (and post here) with their authority in predictions.

Considering it takes one to know one...

Now I don't care who is wrong about this ridiculous situation, but it better end. Otherwise, I may request a moderator to shut this down, if no one is going to continue the G4 discussion.

So all of you complaining about my comment regarding Rene ****! I'm getting sick of this. :mad:

Ibjr
Jun 29, 2002, 11:25 AM

Considering it takes one to know one...

So all of you complaining about my comment regarding Rene ****! I'm getting sick of this. :mad:

How hard can it be to apologize?

Instead you respond to an obviously valid complaint (why else would so many complain?) with your clichéd tripe! Then cry foul that we have gone off topic, although you were the one who started with the ad hominem assults.

Apologize for your baseless attack on Rene.

skunk
Jun 29, 2002, 11:57 AM
From reading the posts at the heart of this little tiff, I would say that Rene was needlessly rude in his first reply to King Cobra (see p1), and the last two pages have been the unedifying result.

I don't think Apple would bother with DDR RAM if the processor and/or bus couldn't use it.

King Cobra
Jun 29, 2002, 12:00 PM
I refuse to apologize, and here is why.

Rene inferred that my comment (I repeat, COMMENT) about 1.4GHz being the max the G4 could handle was wrong, and he said that it could go to 2GHz. I don't remember where, but I thought I heard that 1.5GHz was the max the G4 could go. Therefore, if this is so, then Rene would be incorrect.

In fact, you may want to check out this (http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002feb/bch20020213010252.htm) website, along with the link in the article. As far as the 7500 goes, there has been no confirmed speed. Although it is supposed to go faster than the 7470, which tops out at 1.5GHz, there is no guarentee that the 7500 can reach 2GHz, as Rene suggested.

Just in case you become even more blinded by the light, I WAS NOT QUESTIONING AN OPINION! I only suggested that Rene shouldn't question mine, as it doesn't play fair in life. And if you think I am treating Rene with disrespect, I most certainly am NOT. In fact, I am watching out for him and making sure that he doesn't question an opinion or a comment I make. All I did was repremand him.

The only thing I regret is calling him a newbie and saying that it was classic behavior. In fact, that was the only immature thing I said in my previous post. But it doesn't matter if someone had 20 posts or 2000 posts I still would have commented on that person the same way.

So before you become so ignorant as to question what I say in regard to a comment maybe you might want to check if that comment is an opinion or an objection. The two words are right there in the dictionary, between misinterpretation and poor [reading skills].

King Cobra
Jun 29, 2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by skunk
From reading the posts at the heart of this little tiff, I would say that Rene was needlessly rude in his first reply to King Cobra (see p1), and the last two pages have been the unedifying result.

FYI, I did not see your post while I was still responding to Ibjr.

Again, let's get back on topic with the G4 and DDR-RAM.

As far as we all know, the Xserve uses DDR-RAM, so I would not be surprised to see the updated G4 be incorporated with DDR-RAM. If this doesn't happen, then I THINK Apple needs to apply much faster memory in their PowerMacs. I realize that DDR-RAM is a two-way 133MHz deal, but improved memory to 200MHz would me the minimum I would accept.

Besides, I think it's time the PowerMacs got DDR-RAM, regardless of whether or not a G5 is coming (which most likely isn't). Since the Xserve was supposed to be a PowerMac in a different design (I THINK) then why not supply the original PowerMac with DDR-RAM? I'd say it's about damn time. :cool:

TyleRomeo
Jun 29, 2002, 12:19 PM
Hey tjwett yeah I'm from Suffolk County but I intern in the city. I'm hoping the NYC Apple store is built soon since I have yet to hear much detail about the Long Island one. I Know there is a new one just built in New Jersey, but then again that's Jersey and not NYC or the island, which really doesn't help us out too much.

Well I'm going to MWNY to check out my new Power Mac in action before I order it. Maybe I'll ask a few questions regarding the status of a LI Apple store.

Rene
Jun 29, 2002, 12:33 PM
I refuse to apologize, and here is why.

Rene inferred that my comment (I repeat, COMMENT) about 1.4GHz being the max the G4 could handle was wrong, and he said that it could go to 2GHz. I don't remember where, but I thought I heard that 1.5GHz was the max the G4 could go. Therefore, if this is so, then Rene would be incorrect....

...So before you become so ignorant as to question what I say in regard to a comment maybe you might want to check if that comment is an opinion or an objection. The two words are right there in the dictionary, between misinterpretation and poor [reading skills].

KC, I repeat, I did not question your opinion (I repeat opinion, IMO AFAIK means, in my opinion), I only questioned wether it was an opinion. And I did not mean to be rude, I was only joking.

You really miss the point if you questioning who technically was correct. If you read that the G4 can go to 1.5 Ghz, than thats not even your opinion. It is what you heard and what you hope, but not your opinion.

Now please go whining to the moderators to close this thread.

King Cobra
Jun 29, 2002, 12:41 PM
Let me clarify a bit more, then. The 1.4GHz was supposed to be an opinion, but 1.5GHz was not. And I could not pick out the joke in your statement.

Even if the G4 goes to 1.5GHz via an article and is not my opinion, then it cannot be questioned. As the article states, the 7470 goes to 1.5GHz. But my opinion rested with 1.4GHz.

I won't whine to the moderators just yet. I would rather see this thread quiet down, as I THINK this is a very interesting topic. I honestly don't want it closed, as it wouldn't be fair. But I would feel that it would be the only measures if things go any more out of control than the flamewars tossed back and forth.

You must be dying of the heat in your office without an AC. I feel bad, man. :(

tjwett
Jun 29, 2002, 01:04 PM
Hey tjwett yeah I'm from Suffolk County but I intern in the city. I'm hoping the NYC Apple store is built soon since I have yet to hear much detail about the Long Island one. I Know there is a new one just built in New Jersey, but then again that's Jersey and not NYC or the island, which really doesn't help us out too much.

Well I'm going to MWNY to check out my new Power Mac in action before I order it. Maybe I'll ask a few questions regarding the status of a LI Apple store.

same hear! live in Suffolk and work(was interning till they finally hired me) in the city. what do you do, web design? i'm going to MWNY too. i hope we are all not too dissappointed. i'm just waiting for 10.2 so Logic Audio and the rest of my music apps will come out. i can't wait anymore.

Ibjr
Jun 29, 2002, 01:57 PM
Just Reread, KC was right.

btw, don't have time to skim this as it is 2:57 and they should be here at 3 but the info KC was re: to was at, http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/24018.html

but the the Register is rarely right in their specs or details.

sorry KC :(

Cappy
Jun 29, 2002, 02:51 PM
This almost qualifies for the old saying:

Never argue with a fool. The problem is that any one who may overhear the argument may not be able to tell which one is the fool!

Flame wars for years have been started on statements made that were not interpretted the way the author meant them. Please keep that in mind. Sometimes it doesn't matter that much who is right...especially in a rumors forum where we deal with inaccurate facts all of the time.

TyleRomeo
Jun 30, 2002, 03:22 AM
can you believe how these guys are arguing?

anyway I do post production work, mostly with Final Cit although i'm learning Avid's Media Composer 10.5 through my internship. Also maybe i'll learn Pro Tools. I love music but I do nothing special with it besides making my own mixes and edits of my Mp3s.

I heard rumors of Pro Tools for X at MWNY. But we'll see what happens.

tjwett
Jun 30, 2002, 03:33 PM
can you believe how these guys are arguing?

anyway I do post production work, mostly with Final Cit although i'm learning Avid's Media Composer 10.5 through my internship. Also maybe i'll learn Pro Tools. I love music but I do nothing special with it besides making my own mixes and edits of my Mp3s.

I heard rumors of Pro Tools for X at MWNY. But we'll see what happens.

that's cool. i have friend's who work at Sound One which is a real nice post house in NYC. that's the field i'm looking to get into, mainly for motion graphics. i've been doing music for a long time(ProTools & Logic) and i think we'll probably see the release of most of the major audio apps for OSX with the release of 10.2, which is supposedly what's holding everything up. i can't wait. any more internships where you're at?

swahilibill
Jun 30, 2002, 06:17 PM
Hi, does anyone know any Os x keyboards that dont clackity clack so much. I hve the white pro, and It sounds like some peecee keyboards at my school. Thanks

firewire2001
Jun 30, 2002, 07:03 PM
Hi, does anyone know any Os x keyboards that dont clackity clack so much. I hve the white pro, and It sounds like some peecee keyboards at my school. Thanks

i think you wanted to create a whole new thread for a response...

but the main reason is just the design.. theres no way to fix it, if thats what your asking...

you can buy any USB keyboard for your mac, though, since they are compatible...

you can create a new post by click on "New Thread" instead of "Post Reply"..

King Cobra
Jun 30, 2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by firewire2001
you can create a new post by click on "New Thread" instead of "Post Reply"..

Doesn't that bring back fond memories? :eek: :D

swahilibill, I think you meant your post to be a question, or request for information. That belongs in the Mac Help/Questions forum. Just FYI from now on.

swahilibill
Jun 30, 2002, 11:08 PM
thanks king,

firewire2001
Jun 30, 2002, 11:14 PM
Doesn't that bring back fond memories?

yeah.. yeah.. you just wont ever forget will you :rolleyes: :p ...

lol..

gropo
Jul 1, 2002, 01:01 PM
Hey [B] tjwett[/B...I'm hoping the NYC Apple store is built soon since I have yet to hear much detail about the Long Island one. I managed to catch a peak through the construction barrier in SoHo last week... The wallmounts were up, and it appeared as though the construction workers were finishing the subflooring. Looks good for a MWNY-concurrent opening...

TyleRomeo
Jul 1, 2002, 01:19 PM
good job gropo, keep up the good work

tjwett
Jul 1, 2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by gropo
I managed to catch a peak through the construction barrier in SoHo last week... The wallmounts were up, and it appeared as though the construction workers were finishing the subflooring. Looks good for a MWNY-concurrent opening...

Nice! hey, we have alot more NYers here than i thought. if i see something i like at MWNY, i could go down there and buy it. that would be a great day.

gropo
Jul 3, 2002, 08:04 AM
did I really spell "peek" as "peak"?

*slaps his own hand*