Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricJD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I have an iPhone 3G with a bad silent mode switch. It's very hard to push into the "silent" position, and it often times it just detaches completely from the phone. I've read online about people having luck getting their phone with the same symptoms replaced at an Apple Retail store. I'd like to get it fixed or replaced as well, but I'm currently not on a contract with AT&T. Does anyone know if Apple will still replace or fix my phone even though I don't have a contract?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have an iPhone 3G with a bad silent mode switch. It's very hard to push into the "silent" position, and it often times it just detaches completely from the phone. I've read online about people having luck getting their phone with the same symptoms replaced at an Apple Retail store. I'd like to get it fixed or replaced as well, but I'm currently not on a contract with AT&T. Does anyone know if Apple will still replace or fix my phone even though I don't have a contract?

Are you unlocked?

In any case, that's a hardware problem, and a visible or palpable one. So I would see no reason why they won't repair/replace it.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know for sure what they will do with your phone, but in general there is no warranty unless you are under contract with AT&T. If you have a jailbroken phone, that voids your warranty for sure. You'll just have to try for the swap and see what happens.

In the past when I needed service from Apple Care over the phone, they didn't even ask what was wrong until I had given them my cell number, which I assume they used to verify that I have an AT&T contract. But there are some reports in the forums here of people who have been able to swap phones that have hardware problems when they don't have an AT&T contract. So if those reports are accurate, sometime they do take care of problems for phones without AT&T service.

I just don't think you can be sure whether it will work until you try.

EricJD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Well, I went in today and they replaced my phone with pretty much no questions asked :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.