PDA

View Full Version : Linksys/DSL help

Kussemek
Apr 30, 2004, 11:48 PM
Hey,
I am using Earthlink DSL which is connected via a linksys routher. The original 2wire is on a downstairs computer and attached to my computer via linksys, which I suppose is 'networked(?). I have been using a Linksys Phoneline 10M USB Network Adaptor to get on to the internet on my Mac using OS 9.2.2, recently I purchased Panther, which is great, only I cant seem to get online. Can someone tell me, with step by step instructions, how to use the Linksys to log onto the internet in Panther? I have to keep reverting back and forth, and I am getting annoyed with it. I really need help!!!
Thanks in advance,
Ziv

huckleup
May 1, 2004, 12:42 PM
Hey,
I am using Earthlink DSL which is connected via a linksys routher. The original 2wire is on a downstairs computer and attached to my computer via linksys, which I suppose is 'networked(?). I have been using a Linksys Phoneline 10M USB Network Adaptor to get on to the internet on my Mac using OS 9.2.2, recently I purchased Panther, which is great, only I cant seem to get online. Can someone tell me, with step by step instructions, how to use the Linksys to log onto the internet in Panther? I have to keep reverting back and forth, and I am getting annoyed with it. I really need help!!!
Thanks in advance,
Ziv

I don't know much about the Linksys Phoneline, but I'll mention what I would guess needs to be done.

Are you saying it works on OS 9, but not on OS X? If it does work in OS 9, did you have to install drivers to get it to work, or did it just work without installing anything?

AFAIK, Linksys doesn't have much support for Macs. If the Phoneline device requires manufacturer supplied drivers, you would need OS X specific ones. I don't know if Linksys has those for OS X - you'll have to ask Linksys about that.

It is possible that OS X has built-in drivers for that device. If that is the case, you would just need to add a new port configuration in the System Prefs Network panel. Open the Network panel and select Network Port Configurations from the 'Show' menu. If the system recognizes the device, it will show up in the list displayed. Then you would need to enable that device, and then configure it.

If it doesn't show up in the list, then there are no valid drivers installed for the device. You would then need to contact Linksys to see if they have drivers for it. If they don't, you will need to find another solution. There may be other companies that have phone line type adapters that are compatible with OS X.

jsfpa
May 2, 2004, 07:55 AM
I use a Linksys wireless router and Panther with no problem. The router should be set up for DHCP as wll as the computer running Panther. It should work with no problem. You might have to reset the router (unplug the power)

huckleup
May 2, 2004, 09:25 PM
I use a Linksys wireless router and Panther with no problem. The router should be set up for DHCP as wll as the computer running Panther. It should work with no problem. You might have to reset the router (unplug the power)

His problem isn't with the router, it's with the Phoneline adapter.

I too use a Linksys router and have had no problems with it. But Linksys offers no official support for Macs. It's only possible to use it with a Mac because the configuration can be done with any browser. But it's possible that the Phoneline adapter requires special drivers, and I doubt that Linksys has developed those for the Mac. The only hope is if it happens that OS X has built-in support for it. Being a USB device, it is possible that it there is a standard driver that could work with it, but I don't know that for a fact.

Kussemek
May 2, 2004, 11:05 PM
thanks everyone! do you know how i would check for a standard driver?
thanks!
ziv

huckleup
May 3, 2004, 12:29 AM
thanks everyone! do you know how i would check for a standard driver?
thanks!
ziv

Like I mentioned in my previous post. Plug the USB device in. Open the Network Pref Pane and choose Network Port Configurations from the Show menu. If there is a driver loaded for the device, it may just show up in the list. If not, try clicking the New button, and in the popup list you may see a driver for your device listed. If so, add it, and then enable it. If nothing shows up in those lists, then you are probably out of luck without some third party driver.