Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
So I started up my macbook this morning and have been using it for awhile when I went to go play some music and can't get any sound. When I hit the volume buttons it shows a shadow of the speaker logo and a circle with a line through it under the volume bar. I have tried a restart and also went into sound controls, where it says "The device has no output devices" . What can I do/what's going on?

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I just restarted again and still won't work. The computer does make the startup tone though so I know the speakers work. If I plug in speakers or headphones I can use them and the volume adjuster on the computer works

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
Just to be thorough, make sure this is happening with more than one application.

I had an old iMac that had this problem once, a firmware update solved it.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
yeah its happening with everything, there is no sound whatsoever. The keyboard volume keys do nothing for the volume. When i press increase/decrease the logo towards the bottom of the screen shows up that usually does when volume is changed but instead of the bar increasing or shortening it stays at full and there is a circle w/ a slash though it (like a no smoking sign) and the logo of the speaker that is usually white is just a shadow

Blair230

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly
This may or may not help but something to try:

Open up the audio midi setup program (use spotlight to search for it). Then go to the "output" tab, and look at the audio output setting. Make sure it is set at 44.1 kHz.

Good Luck!

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
its set properly... Idk what would cause it to do this. It was working last night before I shut down.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
fixed it, appears that the switch was stuck, i just put the headphones jack in at a slightly upward angle since the switch is in the top and it nudged it back to where it needs to be

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.