PDA

View Full Version : Safe to turn on my iPod?

MacsBestFriend
May 13, 2009, 09:33 PM
hey, my ipod went through the washing machine :o a while ago (2 months?). we soaked it in rice for over a week and took it to the apple store, only to be told it had water damage and that they couldn't help (warranty voided). now i have no ipod until julyish when i get a new laptop.

i was wondering if i could plug it into my moms imac and see if it is restorable? it has been sitting in my bedroom for a long time mocking me and i really need some music for a trip on friday. if i was to plug the ipod into the computer would there be any risk of damage to the computer or the ipod (at all)? my mom would kill me if i damaged her computer and after a near scare when her ipod froze the other night, i cant piss her off anymore ;). i have read stories of people reviving water damaged ipods.

would it be better to plug it into the wall? is there a risk of shock? :confused:

it is a 8gb g3 ipod nano. if you have any tips please help! :confused:

i mainly care about the computer itself though... :cool:

thanks! :)

May 13, 2009, 10:26 PM
I really can't see anything happening to the computer. If you want to be extra safe plug it into the wall first and see if it even comes on. If it comes on then I would plug it into the computer and try to restore it.

MacsBestFriend
May 14, 2009, 12:39 PM
I really can't see anything happening to the computer. If you want to be extra safe plug it into the wall first and see if it even comes on. If it comes on then I would plug it into the computer and try to restore it.

are you sure there is no risk of it shorting or shocking me?

statik13
May 14, 2009, 01:22 PM

If you're worried, plug it into a bathroom outlet that has a safety cut off switch. (ie, something marked for razor use). Those outlets are specifically designed to deal with shorts.

lostless
May 14, 2009, 02:48 PM
What type of ipod is it? It may be fine, but the battery may be shot, which depending on the model,is easy to replace. The screen may be slightly damaged as well if water seeped beneath the glass. The only problem I see is that its been 2 months and corrosion could of happened.

MacsBestFriend
May 14, 2009, 03:08 PM
What type of ipod is it? It may be fine, but the battery may be shot, which depending on the model,is easy to replace. The screen may be slightly damaged as well if water seeped beneath the glass. The only problem I see is that its been 2 months and corrosion could of happened.

its a 8 gig fatty nano. im going to plug it into the bathroom now and see what happens! with the best of luck!

appleguy123
May 14, 2009, 06:11 PM
its a 8 gig fatty nano. im going to plug it into the bathroom now and see what happens! with the best of luck!
what happened?

MacsBestFriend
May 14, 2009, 09:35 PM
what happened?

it went through the washing machine... the one day my dad thought he would do something nice and pick up my laundry for me when i was sleeping, lol.

well the ipod worked- i restored, etc. only problem is the battery wouldn't hold a charge- i can get a used one. thanks! :)

yossim
May 14, 2009, 10:44 PM

There won't be enough voltage going through it for you to even feel a tingle. :)

TuffLuffJimmy
May 14, 2009, 10:49 PM
Same thing happened with my second and fourth generation nanos. The second generation bounced back just fine, the fourth's backlight stopped working.

It was pretty sad, especially since the fourth and second generation nanos have been my favorite clickwheel iPods.

iEvolution
May 16, 2009, 02:58 PM
Mine went through the wash, it turned on with a white background [I didn't turn it on, I knew better but someone else in this household did], so I let it sit on the shelf.

4 months later it actually turns on but the battery needs to be replaced it seems as it won't work when removed from a charger.

You'll be fine, just try it.

JCastro
May 16, 2009, 05:07 PM
Glad you should be able to fix it. I wonder if it would work better if you had used a hairdryer or something right away to dry the water quickly. I know it works pretty well for watches if they get moisture in them. If you let them sit the water will corrode the insides. If you can dry it quickly it is usually fine.

yossim
May 17, 2009, 06:46 PM
One time, I dropped a cell phone into a bucket of water. I disassembled it and dried all the pieces as best as I could, and then put it back together. We've never had a problem with it since. could have tried that maybe?