Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Man-O-Leisure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Have setup new xserve, 10.5.6. I really have no idea what i am doing so maybe someone can help. I thought i had DNS set up correctly, but maybe not as i can ping th eIP address but not the server name.

I am quite confused with how to setup/name DNS and mail server. The mac 'server.example.com' help just confuses me. this server will host email server, but not web. So, lets say my domain name is http://www.domain.com.au, how would i set up DNS and mail server? and to name the xserve, if i use the domain.com.au is that a problem cause i am not hostong website, or do i have to use domain.com.au for the mail server to work (when i get my current domain host to start sending the mail straing to my static IP so i can host my own mail)?

File sharing i also find strange on OSX (yes i normally only administer Windows servers), I created a shared directory, and added special permissions for my test user i made on my iBook. i am right to think that in OSX when you login, i can't just see the shared directories? do i have to login to them everyime? (by clicking on server name in network, and clicking on connect and entering username and password.

Also, for some reason DHCP i can't get working either. I hope someine can help me to sort out these issues

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
I am not sure how to set up your xserve but i think you are looking for a sub domain to point at the mail server. Something like mail.mydomain.com.au

Man-O-Leisure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Umm, isn't the mail.mydomain.com.au just added in when you setup the mail server? or does that somehow have to be in the DNS setup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.