PDA

View Full Version : Buyer's Guide: Software

jimjiminyjim
May 1, 2004, 07:37 PM
If MacRumors had a Buyer's Guide to Apple software, would you use it?

Patterns of upgrades and new lines are not nearly as stable, but the visual bars that show how long it took for each update could be helpful. For example, I'm looking for a copy of Panther. I'm also wondering if I should wait for the next version of the Mac OS later this year. I'd like to see a buyer's guide to software - based on timelines and rumors - just like the hardware buyer's guide section.

mkrishnan
May 3, 2004, 06:59 PM
If MacRumors had a Buyer's Guide to Apple software, would you use it?

Patterns of upgrades and new lines are not nearly as stable, but the visual bars that show how long it took for each update could be helpful. For example, I'm looking for a copy of Panther. I'm also wondering if I should wait for the next version of the Mac OS later this year. I'd like to see a buyer's guide to software - based on timelines and rumors - just like the hardware buyer's guide section.

I think it might be useful. When I got my Mac in December, I bought Office.X not expecting an update to be announced two weeks later. :( Of course, I don't know if the kind of copy I bought (student site license) would've come with a free upgrade or not, but if I knew before I wouldn't feel ripped off. :)

It'd be nice if it could be like an e-Pinions kinda thing where there were static review threads of the software, or does this run with Panther/Jaguar/etc type notes, but I'm not sure how this could be implemented in a clean way, considering the tendency of threads to rack up posts here.

And maybe while the powers-that-be are at it, they can create a forum dedicated to discussion of G5 powerbooks, gen 4 iPods, how much ram one needs, and the merits and de-merits of the iBook. ;)

iBook
May 6, 2004, 03:03 PM
I think a guide like this would be very helpful, particularly for the odd bit of software updates that are released for certain incompatibilities. I remember a release of Quark that would crash on my G4 until it finally dawned on me to call Quark and ask what was up. They directed me to Web site where I found the necessary patch.

Would be nice to see this kind of info consolidated in one place. Don't know if I'm unique in this respect, but sometimes I forget to ask for help when I'm having trouble or don't want to plow through umpteen pages at the company's "Support" web pages.

jimjiminyjim
May 6, 2004, 05:29 PM
There are sites out there specifically to track all apple related software. (for example, versiontracker.com). For Macrumors to undertake the task of tracking it all would be too much.

I meant specifically Apple-branded software:
iLife
Final Cut
OS X
iCal
Safari
Motion
Shake
X11
iTunes
iDVD
etc.

This could be a manageable task, and give people information they want, from the company they're excited about.

michaelrjohnson
May 8, 2004, 08:33 PM
almost any mac user who hangs around these forums for a year will come to recognize (through experience, or observation) when apple's product cycle updates are typically.

january
mid march
late june
mid/late july
late august/early september
possibly november

JOD8FY
May 16, 2004, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't mind a software buyers guide. Actually, I was just thinking of that the other day. Something to think about arn?

JOD8FY

kristoffer4
Aug 23, 2010, 12:05 PM
Am I the only one who would love the buyer's guide to extend to Apple Software? :D

Hellhammer
Aug 23, 2010, 12:09 PM
Good point but it lacks other things as well, for example iPad, mice, keyboard, etc...

GGJstudios
Aug 23, 2010, 12:12 PM
Apparently, the subject was brought up before, but never went anywhere:

Buyer's Guide: Software (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=70142)

kristoffer4
Aug 23, 2010, 12:24 PM
I would love this! :D

kristoffer4
Aug 23, 2010, 12:25 PM
Good point but it lacks other things as well, for example iPad, mice, keyboard, etc...

Well since the ipad hasn'y been updated yet we don't know when it is updated.
When the mice and keyboards gets updated is also up for grabs.

Hellhammer
Aug 23, 2010, 12:32 PM
Apparently, the subject was brought up before, but never went anywhere:

Buyer's Guide: Software (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=70142)

Well, that was over 6 years ago, a lot has happened since that. I somehow have the feeling that this will just be added to the list and will be performed when the major MR refresh comes, just like several other features that have been discussed

kristoffer4
Aug 23, 2010, 04:08 PM
Who to contact to get this of the ground? :)

GGJstudios
Aug 23, 2010, 04:09 PM
Who to contact to get this of the ground? :)

The site administration/moderation team will see this thread (they see all threads in the Site and Forum Feedback forum). If they see a need for it, they'll make it happen.

Ein2015
Aug 30, 2010, 04:37 PM
I was just hoping to come here to find a buyer's guide on iLife. Not sure when I should purchase it. :)

The hardware buyer's guide doesn't cover non-Apple mac hardware, so I'd assume the software buyer's guide wouldn't cover non-Apple mac software. I hope that it isn't too great of a task to cover Apple's mac software, though.

appleguy123
Aug 30, 2010, 07:00 PM
I was just hoping to come here to find a buyer's guide on iLife. Not sure when I should purchase it. :)

The hardware buyer's guide doesn't cover non-Apple mac hardware, so I'd assume the software buyer's guide wouldn't cover non-Apple mac software. I hope that it isn't too great of a task to cover Apple's mac software, though.

Don't Buy - Updates soon

Ein2015
Aug 31, 2010, 05:48 PM
Don't Buy - Updates soon