Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

specialfx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
London
I am developing a coldfusion web service for the iphone to connect to. How do I make sure only the iphone can connect to it and how to I make sure the application code cannot be seen to view the web service login credentials?

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
I am developing a coldfusion web service for the iphone to connect to. How do I make sure only the iphone can connect to it and how to I make sure the application code cannot be seen to view the web service login credentials?

This is essentially the standard DRM problem, and the short answer is "you can't". You can however make it prohibitively difficult for the majority of users.

The obvious first step is to use SSL end-to-end to prevent credentials being trivially intercepted. It's still going to be possible to extract credentials from the app itself by watching its memory usage from a debugger, and the best you can do here is to try to obfuscate keys in memory.

Some of these papers might help: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=white-box+cryptography

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.