Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Sweden
Hi!
Short question, Is it possible to connect a regular CRT monitor from a PC to a Mac?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Yes. Although depending on the particular Mac you may need an adaptor. If you tell us some more details we can help you more!

bux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Sweden
Okay, the thing is that I was planning on getting a eMac but now I had to spend my money on something else.
But, I may have enough money to buy a Mac in about 3 months and then I thought that I maybe should spend a little more money to get a G5 PowerMac instead of a eMac.
And I can probably afford a PowerMac G5 without a monitor so that's why I wonder if I can use my current CRT monitor for that G5 PowerMac.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
OK cool. Your CRT will have a 15 pin analogue connector on it (often called D-Sub). You new G5 will have 2 monitor outputs, both of which are primarily digital (ADC and DVI). DVI comes in a few flavours (all of which use the same connectors). The PowerMac ones should have digital an analogue signals on them, so a DVI->D-Sub adaptor would let you use your existing monitor. I would think that a PowerMac would ship with one (my PowerBook did).

Edit: Just checked, the DVI->VGA adaptor is used. Apple claim that this will support 1600x1200 on a CRT.

bux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Sweden
Ok, thanks for your help.
Then I can use my 19" CRT until I can afford a better one :D

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
G5

If you're considering the G5 or the eMac, and you can afford both, (even without the monitor for a G5) you should definitely go with a G5. The CRT will work fine for you G5, like robbieduncan said, so the G5 will probably leave you much better off.
Of course, this depends on what you plan to use it for. If you are just going to be using Safari and TextEdit, then you should just get the eMac... lol. I'm guessing you'll be doing more than that to even be considering a G5 though. Don't listen to me anyway, I'm sure you've already made up your mind.
Good luck.

bux

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Sweden
hehe, yeah I will use it for more than safari and textedit ;)
But now I have to play the waiting game until I can afford a Mac :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.