Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terlga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Cardiff UK
G4 Panther.
I have just purchased the MX900 and the mouse works fine. When I open the bluetooth set up assistant I get a message saying no bluetooth hardware found. Is this because I need Logitech drivers for this device which are not yet available? Also I have tried to connect my Nokia 6600 to the hub and the message I get is no bluetooth devices found. My Apple bluetooth software is up to date, does it only apply to the apple D-Link bluetooth adapter ?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
terlga said:
G4 Panther.
I have just purchased the MX900 and the mouse works fine. When I open the bluetooth set up assistant I get a message saying no bluetooth hardware found. Is this because I need Logitech drivers for this device which are not yet available? Also I have tried to connect my Nokia 6600 to the hub and the message I get is no bluetooth devices found. My Apple bluetooth software is up to date, does it only apply to the apple D-Link bluetooth adapter ?

Sounds like you already know bluetooth, but just in case, have you set the computer itself to Discoverable? When the computer is doing the discovering, it shouldn't need to be, but I've found sometimes that things don't work right with my Nokia 3650 and my iBook if my iBook is not discoverable.

Or does the (bluetooth) mouse work, but even still the computer thinks it doesn't have a bluetooth wireless port at all?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
terlga said:
Thanks Mkrishnan,
how do I set the computer to discoverable?

Do you have a bluetooth status indicator in your menu bar? If so, the option is there. Otherwise it's in system preferences / bluetooth / settings -- see the picture attached. But only works if the computer already thinks it has a bluetooth port, I think. :(

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 111

terlga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Cardiff UK
MX 900

The bluetooth icon is greyed out in the menu bar, and no bluetooth icon is in system preferences.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
terlga said:
The bluetooth icon is greyed out in the menu bar, and no bluetooth icon is in system preferences.

I hate to ask a stupid question, but do you even have bluetooth on your machine? If you are using an external bluetooth dongle, the Apple settings probably won't apply. Check on/off switches on the bottom - some of these devices hide them pretty well.

terlga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Cardiff UK
MX 900

Hi Carletonmusic.
The MX 900 is a BT mouse with a BT base station/charger connected to the mac via usb, the mouse works fine, but base station is not seen by my mac, BT icon in menubar is greyed out with wiggly line through it.

sixtus42

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
I get it...

• Your Mac doesn't have bluetooth
  • Your MX900 base station is connected via usb to the Mac
  • The mouse works fine
  • That means: The base station talks BT to the mouse and looks like a regular usb-mouse to the system. Your Mac does not recognize the base station as a BT-adapter, but as a usb-mouse.

Now, it would be interesting to know, if you can hook up the mx900 directly to a BT-Mac w/o the base station for all of us mobile Macers... The MS mouse works fine btw, but the battery handling sucks (doesn't have an on/off switch)

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
dodgy dongle

Hi there,

I bought one of those too (with the companion bluetooth keyboard from Logitech). Basically, you cannot get Panther to recognise the dongle/base station as a regular bluetooth adaptor. There aren't any logitech drivers, and I haven't seen any hint that they intend to develop any either. I am going to return mine to the shop in the next couple of days.

Also, you may have noticed that the mouse has terrible performance (very laggy). This can be overcome by downloading a shareware utility called USB Overdrive, and setting up the responsiveness (plus setting up each of the extra buttons on the mouse that way). Hope that's helpful

terlga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Cardiff UK
MX 900

I have bitten the bullet and bought a BT D-Link adaptor, the mouse works
fine and I use the base-station only as a charger, also I have got my Mobile phone synced up, so problem sorted for the time being until Logitech bring out drivers for Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.