Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtbullet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
but now i notice there are a slew of changes i may or may not need to install. I know I need to install beta 5 of the sdk. Do I need to install the itunes beta? How about the new iPod touch firmware beta (my testing device)?

What is the correct order of installation, or is there one?

I hope to not run into major coding issues, but since my app is only built using uncomplicated techniques, and it only displays and navigates pre loaded images, I think it will be ok.

Any hints anyone can offer on this process would be appreciated. Yes I am watching the videos and reading the provisioning docs now!
Have a good one!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
At least make sure you install the SDK for 3.0 in a different location. All new app submissions must be "3.0 compatible" (not entirely sure exactly what that means), but you cannot submit an app built using the 3.0 SDK. You must submit it using a 2.x build.

jtbullet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
this is very confusing. I was under the impression that submission has to be done using the new sdk. Is that not true?

jtbullet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Thanks this could have messed me up! You wear your demigod status well!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Also, there was this in the "Getting Ready for iPhone OS 3.0" doc:
IMPORTANT: While you’ll be using the iPhone OS 3.0 beta SDK to identify bugs and perform testing, you should always fix, compile, and re-test using the current official iPhone OS 2.x SDK. iTunes Connect will only accept applications built with the current official tools. Do not submit applications to iTunes Connect that have been built using the iPhone OS 3.0 beta SDK. Do not update your marketing text in iTunes Connect to state that your app is compatible with iPhone OS 3.0.

themiracle

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
At least make sure you install the SDK for 3.0 in a different location. All new app submissions must be "3.0 compatible" (not entirely sure exactly what that means), but you cannot submit an app built using the 3.0 SDK. You must submit it using a 2.x build.

You don't need to do this. It keeps the build environment for the 2.x versions available after you install the new SDK. You can test using a 3.0 phone or simulator, but you also build using a 2.x configuration.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
You don't need to do this. It keeps the build environment for the 2.x versions available after you install the new SDK. You can test using a 3.0 phone or simulator, but you also build using a 2.x configuration.
I think the two sources I've linked to say otherwise, especially that step 8. You cannot submit an app built using Xcode 3.1.3. You need to use 3.1.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.