PDA

View Full Version : Help with Soundcheck and converting?

Winter Charm
May 15, 2009, 05:03 PM
Okay, so recent i was experimenting with Sound Check in iTunes. I found out, through various tests (and confirmed by three forums) that for soundcheck to work properly, your entire music library must be encoded by iTunes (instead of LAME or some other program).

I am planning to take my entire iTunes Library and converting it to AAC so that they are all iTunes Encoded. This will allow me to use Soundcheck (because it is annoying to constantly have to adjust the volum on my iPod.

My only question is: How do i sort my Library by FORMAT? it will be a pain to go through all the songs and try to see which copy is AAC or MP3. Can someone give me any tips? - remember i MUST be using iTunes for what i am trying to do.

Thank you in advance for all your help! :apple:

DLH
May 15, 2009, 10:32 PM
It is not true that your entire library needs to be encoded by iTunes for Sound Check (SC) to work. A bunch of my early CD's were encoded to MP3 using CDex with the LAME encoder on WinXP and those tracks work just fine with SC.

That said, to answer your question, right-click on the column headings while in list mode in iTunes and check the field "Kind". That will display the Kind column and you can then sort on it. It will show MPEG Audio file for MP3 files and AAC audio files for MP4 files.

Winter Charm
May 17, 2009, 07:51 AM
It is not true that your entire library needs to be encoded by iTunes for Sound Check (SC) to work. A bunch of my early CD's were encoded to MP3 using CDex with the LAME encoder on WinXP and those tracks work just fine with SC.

That said, to answer your question, right-click on the column headings while in list mode in iTunes and check the field "Kind". That will display the Kind column and you can then sort on it. It will show MPEG Audio file for MP3 files and AAC audio files for MP4 files.

Well... all said and done, My AAC's sound AMAZING :) and soundcheck is working perfectly! so thank you very much my friend :)

Jolly Jimmy
May 17, 2009, 11:26 AM
Keep in mind the loss of quality your tracks will suffer when converting to another lossy format.