Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
So waht is preventing Apple from expanding the app store to have a version that works on the mac os desktop and serves mac applications?

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
So waht is preventing Apple from expanding the app store to have a version that works on the mac os desktop and serves mac applications?

While the iPhone is a closed system and Apple must control the quality and content of apps they release (almost got through that without laughing), OS x is not a closed system. Apple would never want the overhead required with being a middleman for every Mac application. Also, after 30 years of an open system, why would developers suddenly consent to a system where Apple takes 30% of their profits? The iphone is just a different type of environment than the Mac, so the App store model isn't as appealing there.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Well sure- and there are dozens of shareware and download websites out there. But I am talking about the app store where updates can be submitted and applied, purchased licenses can be stored, etc. As in- the app store. Not a page to just download programs.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Sounds like a great idea. Apple control new apps/updates/release schedule and you can't sell software you don't want as the license is through your iTunes account.

simpleleap

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
While the iPhone is a closed system and Apple must control the quality and content of apps they release (almost got through that without laughing), OS x is not a closed system. Apple would never want the overhead required with being a middleman for every Mac application. Also, after 30 years of an open system, why would developers suddenly consent to a system where Apple takes 30% of their profits? The iphone is just a different type of environment than the Mac, so the App store model isn't as appealing there.

I dread an AppStore for Mac apps! Though it may SEEM simple for the consumer, I really don't think that environment would be appreciated on the Mac.

igerm

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009

I was thinking about this very same thing the other day. It would be cool, but as an alternative, not the only way to sell apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.